PDA

View Full Version : Thrift shop

Princess29
07-24-2009, 03:04 AM
Today I was in a thrift shop (or Op shop as we call them in australia) and I saw a dress that I liked so I tried it on and it fit great so I bought it.
When I went to the cash register to pay for it, the nosey woman there asked me "is this for you?" and I said yes.
Then she followed it up with "what happened, did you lose a bet or something or is it a uni function?" and I didnt bother replying to that.
Now I know many of you out there would have torn her a new one for being so nosey and I could have said all sorts of things in response but I didnt.
Other shops I've been in, the women working there have said that they dont care who buys what and they dont go being so nosey and asking why a guy might be buying a dress or skirt or whatever.

PheonaP
07-24-2009, 04:02 AM
Fortunately Princess the world is NOT full of Nosey Parkers. Just a limited few who have nothing better to do in their miserable lives but stick their snout into others vastly more interesting lives, it gives them something to talk about over dinner. :hugs:

GaleWarning
07-24-2009, 04:21 AM
Had the SA been well-versed in the art of asking open-ended questions instead of the dead-end closed ones she did ask, I'm picking you might have been more responsive to her.

It may be a function of her poor attitude towards you as a male client, in which case, one might feel badly about her.

Or it could simply be that she has not had a decent education, or proper training, in which case, one would feel sympathy for her.

What ARE the attributes of a good SA?

Carol A
07-24-2009, 08:21 AM
I find that funny as I had a sales person in a shoes store catch me trying on a pair of heels. She said "sir what are you doing", so I told her and she was so dumb founded she just walked away. :heehee:

Teri Jean
07-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Princess there are some people who waste good breathable air and she sounds like one of them. I went with my sister-in-law to do some shopping at a local thrift shop where I found a really wonderful summer dress and match jacket. Being it was my size I grabbed it and continued to shop for another 30 minutes or so. Theresa and I finished and went to check out so I let her go first. When it was my turn the sales lady, who was in her early 80s, said to me the dress was quite nice and then asked if I was going to wear it to a special event. Of course I couldn't pass that up so I told her I was to which she said that they have some great shoes to go with the dress. Again on cue I said that it wouldn't be necessary because I have a few sets of heels that would be just right. We all laughed but I was laughing the hardest because I was telling the truth and she didn't know it.

Teri

JoanAz
07-24-2009, 09:55 AM
I always carry my avater picture's with me. If a checker opens the Door I Floor them with the pictures...
PRICELESS:thumbsup:

Prissy Linda
07-24-2009, 11:07 AM
I don't see where her comment was that offensive, The general public has heard of CD's but doesn't really come in contact with them so In a way her curiousity was somewhat understandable. From what you wrote she didn't didn't say anything negative about the fact that you tried on a dress. I think it could have been a good opportunity to educate her in a nice manner. I doubt very much that Sensitivity Training is a requirement to work in a Thrift Store or a shoes store. I would have said "yes it's for me, isn't it pretty?"

vivianann
07-24-2009, 11:16 AM
I usually take the opportunity to tell the cashier yes it is for me, and then when she would ask me why, I say I prefer to wear dresses. when I tell them I prefer to wear dresses it causes them to ask more questions, and I usually gain support and respect from them, and when I go back to the store, I get treated very well by the peaple who work there.

bobi jean
07-24-2009, 12:01 PM
I had forgotten this one. About 2 years ago, the first time in this particular "payless shoe" store, I was trying on a pair of heels, pretty obvious I had one hose because they were sheer black, anyway this SA (a girl) walked up to me and said " you do know that those are womens shoes don't you. I was kind of caught off guard but being my usual self I come back with a simple "not all of them"!!! She actually ended up getting a differant pair off the top shelf for me to try on. the first pair was pretty tight for size 11, and she said lets try another pair, some times there are differances in sizes. there was in this case, I bought the second pair... been back many time since then.

Princess29
07-24-2009, 03:36 PM
I don't see where her comment was that offensive, The general public has heard of CD's but doesn't really come in contact with them so In a way her curiousity was somewhat understandable. From what you wrote she didn't didn't say anything negative about the fact that you tried on a dress. I think it could have been a good opportunity to educate her in a nice manner. I doubt very much that Sensitivity Training is a requirement to work in a Thrift Store or a shoes store. I would have said "yes it's for me, isn't it pretty?"

I can see your point Linda, I guess it just bugs me when people ask me to justify my actions when I dont have to.
One other time I had shopped in that store and bought a dress, a woman had said "is this a present for a girlfriend?" and I just "yes, I'm sure she'll love it" (and she did:D) even though the changerooms are about 2 or 3 metres away from the cash register area, it could very well have been the same woman, I'm not sure.