PDA

View Full Version : Christine jorgensen

Empress Lainie
07-25-2009, 04:39 PM
My gf just told me when she was 17 and worked in the attorney's office that handled Christine's cases and she actually met her and Arthur Miller who was her friend.
She was curious and read the files. She was the file clerk.

That is one reason she knew so much about tg & why she recognized my trans status before I did. She said she always felt I was feminine.

She always felt like I was a lesbian.

BreenaDion
07-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Forsight is great but validation is wonderful. Glad you had someone to share even if it was before. Maybe a psychic would tell you the future instead of waiting for a freind to tell you afterwards ?

Good Luck Love Bree:love:

helenr
07-26-2009, 11:34 PM
I was only 7 or so when Ms Jorgensen went overseas for her surgery. I remember -as I already was 'different' -reading about it-or perhaps a few years later when I could read more, then read about it. quite an act to perform 55 years ago. I am sure she validated what surely hundreds or thousands personally sought, but that wasn't a great period of tolerance or acceptance of diversity.

Kaitlyn Michele
07-27-2009, 08:20 AM
very cool and interesting Lainie...like many of us, i followed that story from afar as i grew up...my recollection is that she was forced into being a media persona but i'm not sure..

i also remember feeling fascinated with renee richards, but honestly (pls dont kill me for this ladies) i thought she was so freaky looking that it made me think even more that i could never be a "girl".....

i also remember reading the national enquirer about the bond girl Tula....i couldn't believe how beautiful she was...

it sure was confusing:doh:

Carole Cross
07-27-2009, 11:31 AM
The first TS I read about was Stephanie Anne LLoyd, the owner of the TRansformation shops in the UK. I also read about Caroline Cossey (Tula).
These were my inspiration when I was younger, but I didn't have the confidence to go through with my plans at 16, when I first decided I wanted to transition. :sad:

Empress Lainie
07-29-2009, 04:57 AM
Thanks everyone for the interesting input to this thread, hope there is more to come.

melissaK
07-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Christine Jorgensen's book was my first exposure to anyone validating what I secretely felt inside. But as I was still in jr. high in a small Bible belt town, I dared not buy her book, let alone discuss it with anyone. I thumbed it at the corner drug store where it was on a rack for sale when the pharmacist and his cashier weren't looking.

What I remember was Christine dated men after her srs, and I had no interest in that. So, I wasn't exactly like her; so, what was I?

Gosh I was a confused repressed kid.

'hugs
'lissa

joanlynn28
07-30-2009, 06:30 PM
I first became aware of Christine Jorgenson when she was a guest on the old Mike Douglas Show in the early seventies. This is when it all began for me, after seeing her on TV I just realized that I just was not right. Only look back now and realized that a lot of years of my life may have been wasted, like why did I wait nearly 35 years unitl I finally went and addressed the underlying issues that where always in the back of my head. One of these days I will go out and go read her biography, I have seen it at Border's. The one book that I wanted to read that was suggested by one of my therapist is "My Own True Self" if anyone knows where I could get a copy I would be interested in knowing. The book has been out of print for some time and the used book price for this one is somewhat high. Joan

helenr
07-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Back about 1960 when I was 13 and knew I was 'different' I would look up the word 'Transvestite' in the large unabridged dictionary. There was virtually no other information source for this topic-maybe I heard the word from the C. Jorgensen saga, which was reported thoroughly in Life and Look back th en. It was hard to have such heavy secrets at such a young age, not necessarily easier now, though I have a better understanding-50 years later!- what was totally a mystery to me then.

noeleena
07-31-2009, 04:19 AM
Hi...
There were many of us 50 years ago would not have even heard of any one or more to the point say or open our mouth.s . to ask or say hey i.m a trans what ever . no way . that would have been a very quick trip to our lake alice .. (( nut house )). we just shut up . we heard of many people going there ..... hey . no way . i . worked in the compound at our tempelton . known as the (( funny farm )). i saw many of the inmates . no trans there . just many people with mental problems . i never had any detail with them .
what i saw & have lived with . concerning Jos with depression . has shown me i accepted them .. & know how to deal with people with depression . 37 years
even so . being in the trans community now for some years . so things have changed . for the better . not every thing . yet at least we have people with more open minds concerning trans .
Oh dear. Helen . we are very close in age . i.ll be 62 on the 11 of aug ...i would not have even known what the word was let alone read that book . heck ...even tho we are so far apart . we have / had. a similar detail going on ... wow .
You grow up with ?? yet did we know what those ?? were . i did not . just that little something inside of you . never really knowing . & then years later . oh you do ...
...noeleena...