PDA

View Full Version : I've stepped from the closet and went forth

joanne anderson
08-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Well I have taken my first step on a long awaited adventure. Yesterday I got all made up in one of my latest purchases and spent the day just hanging around the home when I suddenly felt this was the day that I broke free and dared to go out somewhere, anywhere.
My wife ( who knows about Joanne ) came home and I told her I just had to go out and go where other people were about. S we decided as it was late in the eveing that the only place open was our local supermarket.
We discussed how the safest way would be and I told her just to stay close at hand in case I ran into difficulties. Well everything went well and I was just floating on cloud 9. I stopped and looked at several things went to the make-up section abnd bought some mascara, some groceries and then headed to the checkout.
The girl on the cash register scanned through all my stuff and I paid for it with my credit card. I think she gave me a slight glance as I went through, then she said something to me and I realised I was walking away without my things, I quietly said thank you and then it was out to the car, where I felt a million dollars at how well it had gone. Much of the confidence that I feltis due in no small way to the many tips I have read from many of you, about going out into public.
I still can't believe I have done it and am still coming to terms with what I have done after being in that closet for so many years.
I hope that I will stay out and join the thrill which many of you experience often.
My thanks to one and all.

Love Joanne

Joni Marie Cruz
08-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Wow. Good on you, girl. It's a great feeling, isn't it? And not as hard as you thought it might be, I bet. Don't let others hold you back or keep you from being happy. Oh, and if you don't mind me saying, you look good, girl.

Hugs...Joni Mari

Sallee
08-08-2009, 12:13 AM
easy huh But what a kick:cheers:

michelle_tx
08-08-2009, 01:21 AM
Congrats! As the saying goes, the first step is always the hardest. I remember the first time I went out. I think I was probably looking around every corner to see who was there before taking a few steps. I was fairly sure everyone was looking at me. Yet as nervous as I felt, it was also so liberating. Once you take that first step into going out, it gets easier and easier each time. Now I walk out into the world like I own it. :)

Amanda_Robinson
08-08-2009, 01:28 AM
Good for you Joanne !!!!
There must be something in the air because I did the same thing this week :o)
I also feel the same gratitude to the members of this forum.

Take care
~Amanda

Christina Horton
08-08-2009, 01:30 AM
You go girl friend. Your pic looks good , hows your voice is it passable. That's the last thing I need to work on according to my mom who just recently excepted my cding after 17 years of knowing. good going girl the next thing to do is go shopping in the mall in day time good luck.

Teri Jean
08-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Joanne you look very nice and yes it is a rush but the end results is there is nothing wrong with going out and having fun or just picking up groceries. I you are like me in the kitchen that is fun.lol Just remember keep your focus and not leave your purchases at the counter. lol I did it to. Huggs to you and your wife.

Teri

PaulaJaneThomas
08-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Don't worry about your voice. I have several TS friends who I've known since before they transitioned. None of them has changed their voice to any extent which I can notice. If you need to speak to someone then just smile and be pleasant.

Melissa Rose
08-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Congratulations Joanne on your first time out and it been a wonderful experience. It's a great feeling. You're probably still floating on a cloud.

kristinacd55
08-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Congratulations Joanne, guess there's no going back in the closet now! :)

docrobbysherry
08-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Now, YOU'RE an inspiration for the REST of us CLOSET DENIZENS!:)

dawnmarrie1961
08-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Joanne,
Go ye forth into the wilderness....be fruitful and...AH Heck!! Just go out already!!!
Even the local supermarket will do. I hope you went back to get the things you purchased.
The cashier is supposed to look at the customer so don't worry about her glancing at you so long as she remains professional. Don't do the zip zoom thing. Take your time. Relax.
This is like a baby taking their first steps. How many of us remember taking our first steps as a baby. We were probably just as excited about the whole thing. After a while we got so good at stepping that we forget how it first felt.
Thanks for the reminder, Joanne.
That took a lot of courage. I'm proud of you! Just don't start running yet.

Be safe Be Smart. Baby steps.

Dawn Marrie

PretzelGirl
08-09-2009, 11:47 AM
First, congrats on breaking the barrier. I hope it is the start of many good times for you.

Second, take your wife out to dinner or buy that lady some flowers. I might be reading too much into it, but it sounds like you kept her close to run interference for you. That may have made her as nervous as you were and is a strong show of support.

Jilmac
08-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Good for you girl, I hope you have many more pleasant outings. I have found the supermarket and shopping malls to be places where I blend in the most. I have stood next to the meat counter between two GGs and went totally unnoticed. I think the other shoppers are more interested in what they're buying than what people look like. :2c:

Ediosa
08-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Congrats!!!!

I hope you gave your wife a huge hug and a big "thank you", then after you were a boy again, another hug and a big fat kiss. That's an amazing woman.

Congrats on your outing and hope to here of many more. :hugs:

:love:

Elizabeth

Kerrie Sifton
08-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Great news, glad the event was positive. You look great.

joanne anderson
08-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Hello again.
Just a quick reply post to say thanks Dawmarie for her advise on baby steps, will tread slowly. To Sue CD, I did just that, take her for a dinner which just so happened to be our 38 anniversary and finaly to Latin dancer, BIG hugs were the order of the day when we got bake from the market and lots of:kissing: before we retired to bed and maybe a few more after that:whistling:
Thanks again to one and all.

:<3: Joanne