PDA

View Full Version : How do you get counselling

~Emma D~
08-09-2009, 05:33 AM
Hi again

The warmth and kind advice I have received on this forum in recent days has been so helpful. After so long hiding in the shadows, I now feel as though I have hope and a positive way to move forward.:)

I have no doubt whatever happens, it will be difficult, and how my family fit into the equation I simply do not know.

So, how do I arrange for Counselling, I have absolutely no idea where to start or go.

Any help would be appreciated.:love:

Carole
08-09-2009, 06:08 AM
Your local Citizens Advice Bureau may be a good starting point. As I understand you don't give your name you are just a number to them and they will certainly put you on the right road. A friend of mine is a qualified counsellor and she is just starting with them so I know they have the right people there.

Teri Jean
08-09-2009, 11:04 AM
I looked through the yellow pages in my area and had no luck but I recieved a TG/TS from the Twin Cities and Pam gave me information I could use. Then I had a yearly check up with my family doctor and explained my desire to see a gender therapist in preparation to transitioning. He then said there was nothing in my area so I told him about the program at the U of MN. He was to say excited and set it up for a referral. This Wednsday I go in for my first session.

So depending on your area of the country and situation you can check the listings or as I did see you primary care giver. Good luck and huggs to you.

Teri

Shikyo
08-09-2009, 12:10 PM
I think it depends a lot from the country you live in. For example, here in Finland where I live you just gotta go to any doctor and they will have to give a you a referral to the doctors who deal with transsexuality.

So anyway, the first thing to do would be probably finding out how the progress is in the country you live in. Do you have to get an referral from a doctor first before you can go to the right doctor, or can you get into the contact with the doctor themselves first without having to go through another doctor first that basically is just there to give you the piece of paper to go to the right doctor.

Anyway, depending of the way you will have to do it you will just have to make an appointment at the right doctor first to get it going. The hardest part will probably be when you first meet the first doctor tot ell about your issues and concerns, even though they should take it without any problems, but I'm sure there are some doctors that might not be that friendly towards this matter even though they should be objective about this whole matter.

Last words of advice, when you're there, just be yourself. They are not expecting you to behave in anyway or do anything strange. They will want to see you the way you are, not the way you want to them to see you. The point it is to find out are you truly transsexual or not, that can't be done if you aren't honest with yourself and them.

Good luck on your long way, been there myself right now I can't say it's the most enjoyable thing I've ever had to go through, but it something I know I will have to get through just because of what I am. It might be very hard, annoying, but the results and the comfort it will give you will be a gift from heaven.

CharleneT
08-09-2009, 01:46 PM
IF you have a local TG/TS group, ask them for advice. Other ways is to ask your regular doc if she/he has a recommendation or could ask others in their practice etc.... Yellow pages may list those who specialize in TG issues ( my YB lists two, although mine is not one of them).

Ask at your local Community Mental Health Center.

Steph2003
08-09-2009, 04:23 PM
I emailed a local support group a few times and after a couple of weeks, I finally heard back from someone.

It was difficult to go to that first session, but I'm glad I did!