PDA

View Full Version : Can you have top surgery without testosterone?

BrianMacCornmac
08-10-2009, 02:23 PM
First off, sorry I haven't been posting much.

But anyways I've been looking into FtM stuff for a while now and at the very least, I want my boobs to be off. I'm not quite sure about the testosterone thing yet, but if I do use it, it will most likely be after top surgery.

Do I have to use testosterone prior to surgery or would it only for best results? Also... about how much would it cost?

Lorileah
08-10-2009, 02:27 PM
It should not be a problem. Hormones may allow you to add extra muscle but as far as removing the breast tissue itself hormones are not a requirement. You will have to ask the guys here how the nipple issue works, I can't imagine though that he nipple will shrink with hormones and would probably require some sort of construction during surgery

BrianMacCornmac
08-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks. Now I just need to get the courage to actually look for a decent surgeon around my area to do it. Though I might try to think it out for a few more months... maybe longer...

NiCo
08-10-2009, 05:35 PM
First of all, to me, you really don’t seem like you know what the hell you want. Just by the things you have wrote I don’t think you’ve done enough thinking into this, it’s not a game and is highly serious. Maybe you SHOULD leave it a few more months before you decided to get in contact with surgeons. Why don’t you, for now, go and get a diagnosis of transsexualism or gender dysphoria [as I assume you haven’t had that yet?] because only people with this diagnosis will be allowed to have that sort of surgery.

When I was visiting surgeons in London, I had to have that diagnosis, I had to have a psychiatrist give the go-ahead and I had to have been full time about a year. But yes, you don’t have to be on hormones to have this surgery done.

Things is, Brian, you seem young, I should be sitting here egging you on right now but I’m actually going to tell you to chill out. You don’t want hormones? But you want your “boobs to be off”? You said at first you thought you were a tomboy but now you are thinking more that you’re a guy etc etc…I don’t know, this all just doesn’t make sense in my head…from my own experiences, I wanted to look, sound, present as male only and the only way I could do that was with the help of hormones and surgery, not one or the other or nothing…[although I am aware that quite a few guys actually opt out of hormones and surgery due to their own reasons- but they have had plenty of thought about it that’s why I’m not questioning them!]

Right, the only thing I can say is: go have a proper browse around this site, and other sites, hear things from guys who have “been there and done that”, get yourself a counsellor or psychiatrists trained in these issues and THEN make the choice about hormones and surgery…cause there is no way in hell a surgeon is going anywhere near you when you explain things like that.

I’m sorry if I seem harsh mate, but I’ve “been there and done that” too, not all the way but I have sh*t loads of experience already, and I know how much the system can f*ck you around. One mistake and that’s it, game over [or at least that’s how it feel 99% of the time]

Please be careful, and please be sure this is the right thing!

SirTrey
08-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Hi Brian....In answer to your question, no, you don't have to be on testosterone to have chest surgery....but you do need to be diagnosed with GID, and have letters from both your general practitioner and your therapist in order to get it....Not sure where you are (UK or US)....checked your profile and it doesn't say....Here in the states, the price varies from around $6,000.00 to $10,000.....The thing about surgery is, it's permanent....and you need to be really sure before doing that....There is substantial scarring involved, and even when it heals exceptionally well, it's there for the rest of your life....Check into it, absolutely.....but before you actually DO it, take a lot of time to figure out who you are and what you need to do.....Both going on testosterone and having chest surgery are very major decisions.....And irreversible ones.....Just be REALLY sure before you do either or both.....There are lots of big brothers on the board here to talk to....PM one of us if you just "need someone to talk to" about it....**Trey**

spiroxlii
08-10-2009, 07:47 PM
I can't counsel you on your particular situation, since I am MtF and not FtM, but I am in a similar boat. I've had people get upset with me, because I do want to get a trachea shave and breast implants, but I don't want orchiectomy or vaginoplasty, nor do I want to render myself basically sterile with HRT. This is because I identify as gender-fluid. I am beginning therapy, and my issue is that I want a female body image, but I am also in a happy multi-year relationship with a "real" girl, with whom I wish to get married and start a family (and I'd rather not just freeze a bunch of sperm).

I know a lot of this seems off topic in this thread, but the reason I bring it up is basically to reinforce some of what the other folks here have said. You really need to think about who you are INSIDE and exactly how you want to reflect that on the outside. Seeing a therapist helps, though I must say that it does make me very angry sometimes that I have to be diagnosed with a disorder before some doctor... some stranger... can give me permission to be myself and to bring my body image more in line with my internal vision.

Ze
08-10-2009, 10:08 PM
I was under the impression that, based on the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care that more or less need to be followed in the States, TGs sort of have to go on hormones before being granted the "big kahuna" of surgery.

But this is purely based on research, so you may be better off ignoring me and listening to the others that have actually gone through it. But I agree with making sure you know what you want before you go ahead with these things.

Either way, the doctors probably won't touch you unless you have all the recommendations and, depending on the psychiatrist, you'll need to be on hormones first before getting your recommendations. But like I said, this is more the standard of things. Perhaps there are loopholes and exceptions, but therapy's still a big part of it regardless.

spiroxlii
08-10-2009, 11:06 PM
I was under the impression that, based on the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care that more or less need to be followed in the States, TGs sort of have to go on hormones before being granted the "big kahuna" of surgery.

And people wonder why medical tourism to Thailand is so popular... Not that I recommend it, but sometimes I'm tempted.

SirTrey
08-11-2009, 01:23 AM
I don't know about all doctors, but the one that is going to do My chest surgery does not require his patients to be on testosterone. If anyone is interested in finding out who that is, PM Me and I will let you know. (You do need the therapist and doctor recommendations, though).

Ze
08-11-2009, 07:47 AM
I don't know about all doctors, but the one that is going to do My chest surgery does not require his patients to be on testosterone. If anyone is interested in finding out who that is, PM Me and I will let you know. (You do need the therapist and doctor recommendations, though).

That's pretty much the loophole I was trying to refer to. :thumbsup: Awesome!

kzam09
08-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Hi guys.I'm new here and just read this thread.I've had top surgery without T.I needed 1 letter from a therapist(.I did have my name changed first.).
Also,in the state of Florida,that counts as SRS and my DL says "male" now.
I'm into bodybuilding and with help of a crew cut I pass 98% of the time.
I don't think that there should be a general rule as to who's a "real" ftm.I don't think everybody has to go the same route.Some guys still have boobs years into T.That would make me very uncomfortable personally.
I did voice exercises (and still do them daily) to lower my voice a little.At times it sounds perfect,but not always.That does make me insecure a bit,but I still look young enough to get away with that and no beard,I guess.
I do want to take T by the end of the year though because I'm not getting younger.
What slowed me is the fact all men in my family go bald and I'm vain...
Also i know more than a few trans-people who don't identify themselves as either male or female.Or as both.And wasn't the god mercury,symbol of intellect,described as both male and female?...I'd say follow your dream,if it doesn't hurt anybody else.

Gerard
08-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Just make sure you don't end up hurting yourself either.

crazy4cheezeits
10-25-2009, 11:12 PM
You do not need to be on testosterone to get chest reconstruction surgery. I know someone who went this route and was very happy with it (he did later go on testosterone). The surgeon was in Ohio. I personally think I will likely go this route, as I am fairly certain that I want chest reconstruction surgery, but not as certain about testosterone. (Of course, I will not do either until I am completely sure about it)

Anyway, to me, the surgery is more important than the hormones because I want to pass as a guy, but I don't care about looking particularly masculine. I've found it very difficult to pass without binding, which is really painful for me. While some aspects of testosterone are extremely appealing to me, it's difficult to predict and there are aspects that don't excite me.

I think everyone has different priorities as far as transitioning, and different aspects add more comfort to their lives than others. While the traditional route is to take hormones and then get surgery, that route is not for everyone. If getting a male chest is what would make you feel comfortable, don't let anyone discourage you! Of course, make sure you're confident in your decision before getting an irreversible surgery!