PDA

View Full Version : Wits End

Manda
08-10-2009, 08:21 PM
As I recently posted Ive decided finaly decided to seek a therapist. Now after a month long shearch there doesnt seem to be anyone in our small metropilis that covers this type of therapy. Im curious how some of my other Sisters found the proper Dr. to help them with their quest. I would really appreciate anyones help.

CharleneT
08-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Well, I found my current therapist by asking my old one for a recommendation of someone that I could afford. My old therapist would have been great, but due to insurance coverage, I can't use her. My current therapist is experienced, kind, thoughtful and I think very helpful. She does have a sliding scale, although it is still expensive for me.

Anyhow, look in the phone book first, there are two others here listed for such issues. It sounds like you are very close to here, PM me if you want and we can talk about possibilities, costs here etc. I may be able to get a few names of good people in your town from the two therapists I know here. Or if you do not mind the travel, come here ;)

Charlene

Teri Jean
08-11-2009, 05:39 AM
Manda I started just as you did by asking our sisters here and then talked with my Dr. for a referral. That was a couple weeks ago and tomorrow. Pamula was so helpful in pointing me towards the closest to me and because of that insite my Dr. had no problem with the referral. I wish you the best.

Teri

Bethany38
08-11-2009, 05:50 AM
Manda,
I do wish I could help you out on this one, but alas I did not come to terms with my own self till after I had moved away from that area. I do however recommend doing as said above and asking your Dr. for a referral. I wish you all the luck with your search. Bethany

Steph2003
08-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Hello Amanda -

I was in a similar situation as you and finally reached out to a local TV/CD/TS group that gave the name of a gender therapist. I had seen many different therapists over the years, but could not bare to tell them about me.

It has been much easier with my gender therapist. One place you may have luck is some of the TS/TG support sites. They have listings of therapists by state and some will actually do phone therapy.

If you need the url's to these sites, please let me know.

Kaitlyn Michele
08-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Manda

I wish you all the best...I was lucky..my therapist is only an hour and fifteen minutes away!! I know girls that drive over 2 hours....

So all I can say is expand your search..it will be worth it...if you do find someone far away...you should consider a trip to meet them, maybe get 2 appointments in 2 days so you can have a back and forth...i remember how cathartic my intake interview was...the next day i crashed and felt like there were a million things i didnt say...

and then do phone calls after that...altho not the best case, i think that's better than nothing at all...

BreenaDion
08-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Manda I feal your Pain sister. I too am looking to close to home to save me the traveling. Not gonna work, " if you fight the good fight you need to travel ". My journey continues now to the BIG city Boston 70 miles away.
My new Psychologist is 67 miles away. To find the right people to continue your journey be prepaired to tavel long distance if you live out in the sticks like me.

My PCP dr sent me to wrong Endocrinologist.... go figure. I am a rare case in these parts...seams im out in the woods. I'll find my way, slowly it seams.

Never give up hope girl, find patence and that will hold you over untile you get where your going.

Good luck Love Bree:love: