PDA

View Full Version : Does The TG Community Reflect Society In General.

Vicky_Scot
08-11-2009, 06:39 AM
In my humble opinion the answer has to be yes. It seems that the TG Community has the same traits (good and bad) as the general society that we are so eager for to accept us. This is not a dig at anyone but a general observation.

Firstly we must determine what society means. Society in general is something we go out into, or drop out from, or we are accepted by, or we are embraced by, or tolerated by, or are ostracized by, or are lauded by, or are badly treated by. These things can most definitely be found amongst the TG Community.

Who makes up society in general? - Everyone and no one. If we accept the general term society this included all human beings. We hear all the time that this is not accepted in society today. Smacking your child, smoking, being overweight etc etc is not accepted in society today. We are part of that society, we make up society. But if you are TG then you are not accepted by society. A contradictory is it not. No one is part of society in general as society is not a thing. We are all individuals with our own minds, dreams, ideals, values, beliefs etc.

Who makes up a society? - A group of humans broadly distinguished from other groups by mutual interests, participation in characteristic relationships, shared institutions, and a common culture. Does the TG community fit this description. Yes and No!! We as those who distinguish our self as TG certainly meet some of the criteria. Mutual interests, mutual interest eh mutual interests. That seems about it. Apart for the desire of dressing in clothes and other accessories of the opposite sex it seems that we have as a group very little in common. But that statement is false in itself. Those who make up the TG community would not agree this is the case. Within that group there are sub groups. TS,TV,CD etc who have a different slant on what the TG community is. Again the major factor contributing to this is individuality.

Every single human feeling that has ever been felt, without exception, during the entire history of the human race, has been felt individually, within an individual human mind.

So is the wording society and community the problem here. Is a community then a totally different beast from society.
What is a community? - A group of people living in the same locality and under the same government. The district or locality in which such a group lives. A group of people having common interests: the scientific community; the international business community. A group viewed as forming a distinct segment of society: the gay community; the community of color. Society as a whole; the public. Seems that society and community are very much one of the same as we all meet certain criteria of both groups.

The TG community is in my opinion is a mirror image of everyday life and show the same traits. Good traits: love, compassion, acceptance, understanding etc. Bad traits: rejection, selfishness, jealousy, ridicule etc.

It does not matter what community/society you are part of , the only thing that you have in common is that one thing and that is who the community/society is for. Gay community, TG community, Train Spotting community, Bird Spotting community etc. Out with that you as an individual in everyday life may not have anything in common. And because of this conflict will occur amongst members of any group of people no matter what the initial attraction was that brought them together.
Yes it is nice to have fellow people who enjoy the same as you but remember that you are all individuals and your personnel attributes will always take over. i.e. If you are a judgemental person you will be a judgemental person in your society/community. If you are a jealous person you will be a jealous person in your society/community. If you are a kind and considerate person you...........I think you get the idea.

So here is my conclusion.

Just because you are part of a community/society do not be naive enough to think that the bad traits of society in general will not rear their ugly heads in your community/society, because they will, guaranteed and it they hurt peoples feelings.

DAVIDA
08-11-2009, 08:31 AM
I usually don't do this, but......what is the point here? I mean, every "community" that you have expressed here has members that run the whole gamut of "types" of people. Any time that you gather ten people of the same community, you can have ten different oppinions. Fitting in one community does not mean that you can't be a member of other communities.
Are we sopposed to stay home to prevent someone from disagreeing and maybe hurting our feelings?
I guess that I don't go through my life looking for the negative things.

Vicky_Scot
08-11-2009, 08:38 AM
I usually don't do this, but......what is the point here? I mean, every "community" that you have expressed here has members that run the whole gamut of "types" of people. Any time that you gather ten people of the same community, you can have ten different oppinions. Fitting in one community does not mean that you can't be a member of other communities.
Are we sopposed to stay home to prevent someone from disagreeing and maybe hurting our feelings?
I guess that I don't go through my life looking for the negative things.

The point my friend is to let people know that the TG community is not all love and light.

Joni Marie Cruz
08-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Whoever said it was? Do you think you're talking to dreamy eyed adolescents here? This, and your other post on TS's made me think of something I had read years ago about categorizing in general.

"Lumping and splitting refers to a well known problem in any discipline which has to place individual examples into rigorously defined categories. The lumper/splitter problem occurs when there is the need to create classifications and assign examples to them, for example schools of literature, biological taxa and so on. A "lumper" is an individual who takes a gestalt view of a definition, and assigns examples broadly, assuming that differences are not as important as signature similarities. A "splitter" is an individual who takes precise definitions, and creates new categories to classify samples that differ in key ways."

You're a splitter, aren't you? No judgement implied or intended. Just the tone I get. Of course the key phrase here is "to classify samples that differ in key ways." just who decides what's key is the crux of the matter. If differences are important to you then you'll go one way, if how people can come to together and work through their differences is more important then you'll go the other.

-Joni Mari

The point my friend is to let people know that the TG community is not all love and light.

Vicky_Scot
08-11-2009, 08:53 AM
You're a splitter, aren't you?
-Joni Mari

Thats ironic you trying to catagorise me after your condemnation of those who do just that.

Xx Vicky xX

Joni Marie Cruz
08-11-2009, 08:56 AM
As I said, it's the tone I get. Both your posts emphasized differences and divisions in the TG community. How is that not splitting? Oh, and btw, I wasn't condemning anyone, please re-read the definition and my post. It's simply an observation about two different categories.

-Joni Mari

Thats ironic you trying to catagorise me after your condemnation of those who do just that.

Xx Vicky xX

Kittykitty
08-11-2009, 09:00 AM

Of course not... it has some of the highest cases of mental disorders (not at all saying anything tg related is a mental disorder,) very low education rates, high count of ostricism, and a lot of just-plain-miserable people who have been knowingly/unknowingly shunned for not-quite-being-right a good part of their lives.

The hope is that through acceptance/self acceptance our candles of light and HUMAN spirit might shine a little brighter and we can come together as a world FAMILY with no divisions.

All we can do, is what is in front of us.

PaulaJaneThomas
08-11-2009, 10:18 AM
IME about 2/3rds of people are OK and the other 1/3rd are to$$ers. That ratio seems to apply to TGs too.

Gerard
08-11-2009, 10:48 AM
IME about 2/3rds of people are OK and the other 1/3rd are to$$ers. That ratio seems to apply to TGs too.
I wouldn't know a better answer than this one.