PDA

View Full Version : Dressed at the mortuary?

Magickman
08-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Help me out here, folks.

Can I go to the funeral home while dressed?

Nope, nobody died, at least no one I know. The local funeral home is having a free pizza party, as a promotional event. They sent me an invitation, and I am considering going.

And if I go, I am thinking of dressing for the event. What will I wear?

Advice please.

Joy Carter
08-11-2009, 07:57 PM
"Elvira. Mistress of the Dark" :heehee:

NathalieX66
08-11-2009, 08:12 PM
I would expect that I'm jumping to conclusions about you (my apologies:notworthy: sif so) but mind you, that some people might be offended that you are using this time as an opportunity for your own expression instead of paying your respects to whomever is deceased, thait is if you are talking about a wake. . The family of the one that has passed may see this as you using this as a venue for your own gain & selfishness. They are in emotional distress....why make it a circus? Just my:2c:

Secondly, funeral staff are a bit conscious of people they call "ghouls".... whichare people who are peculiarly fascinated with death, and the visceral aspect of things related to death and funerals. They may interpret you the wrong way....That would include "free pizza" events. I 've had enough bump-ins with goth vampires & transgendereds. That's what comes to my mind, so I'm sorry if this is an incorrect understanding of what you are planning on doing. . Don't get me wrong, Harold & Maude is one of my favorite films.

Mmmatt
08-11-2009, 08:19 PM
I don't know, I think a funeral home having a promotional event involving free pizza is weird in the first place, so anything beyond that seems like it would be cool to me.

However, I think I'd avoid eating the pizza at this promotional event.

kellycan27
08-11-2009, 08:32 PM
I would expect that I'm jumping to conclusions about you (my apologies:notworthy: sif so) but mind you, that some people might be offended that you are using this time as an opportunity for your own expression instead of paying your respects to whomever is deceased, thait is if you are talking about a wake. . The family of the one that has passed may see this as you using this as a venue for your own gain & selfishness. They are in emotional distress....why make it a circus? Just my:2c:

Secondly, funeral staff are a bit conscious of people they call "ghouls".... whichare people who are peculiarly fascinated with death, and the visceral aspect of things related to death and funerals. They may interpret you the wrong way....That would include "free pizza" events. I 've had enough bump-ins with goth vampires & transgendereds. That's what comes to my mind, so I'm sorry if this is an incorrect understanding of what you are planning on doing. . Don't get me wrong, Harold & Maude is one of my favorite films.

Yeah, pizza and death! clogged arteries right? or a pizza with the works looking a bit............. visceral

Goth vampires oh my!
Holy cow.!!!!! transgendereds too? Some real scary folks, those transgendereds. :gn:

OOPS!! Almost forgot the OP ( I got scared)....... sorry Magicman. I'd say wear what you'ed like. I don't think they'll have any dead people laying around if it's a promotional event.... just use your usual good taste. Damn, that's one hell of a pizza oven!!!

sissystephanie
08-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Party at a Mortuary? That calls for a LBD, doesn't it? Dressed up with some nice jewelry!

trannie T
08-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Free pizza at the undertakers? A word of advice DO NOT EAT THE ANCHOVIES!

Ralph
08-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Oh wow, the J Geils band... haven't heard that in a LONG time.

MM, if you do go we expect a full report on how they reacted. I wouldn't go because I'm 100% closeted, but you have made it clear that you go out as obviously male... so if you're comfortable going to the grocery store dressed however you want, I don't see why going to a pizza promotional should be any different. I would be a lot more opposed to anything that would attract attention to yourself during someone else's funeral, but obviously that won't be the case here.

Crysten
08-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Simple answer:

Eating pizza in a place where they store dead bodies?

Nope.

Crysten

Elsa Larson
08-11-2009, 11:06 PM
I consider funeral directors every bit as strange as crossdressers.
Go en femme.

ASK how you can be sure you will be dressed and groomed as you wish when your time comes.

Sammy777
08-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Go and have fun!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_UbGtjnluyY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_UbGtjnluyY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I bet people are dying to go.

Shikyo
08-12-2009, 12:51 AM
I don't see anything wrong in dressing. No one has deceased and it's meant to be a party anyway. So if you are planning to go there, just dress the way you want to. I don't think anyone will mind you there the way you want to be there.

If someone were deceased then I wouldn't recommend going dressed as someone might understand that as not respecting the dead.

It is rather odd that they are having a party like that at a mortuary, though. I hate parties over anything and that might actually be something I'd like to go to. Too bad there is no way in hell there is going to be something like that over here.

sterling12
08-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Thank you Samantha, I'd forgotten about Oingo-Boingo!

Now on to our story.......Is there any more proof than this? Our country is in a very bad recession indeed! We need no further proof that a Funeral Home marketing their Pre-need Plans by throwing a pizza party!

I am imagining you standing there in your pretty frock, and Joe Funeral Home is giving you the old "It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have pitch."

If you want to be subjected to "The Hard Sell," about Funeral Plans; go for it baby! I would imagine that anyone else attending, won't be shocked by anything. After all, they are the ones having slices of pepperoni while pre-selecting in The Coffin Room.

One huge advantage for you. If you dress appropriately, you can give them a good idea of the clothing you would select for your "future event." Something tasteful, obviously black or a muted pastel. Since your feet are covered, you won't have to worry about a color clash, you can pick any heels that you want.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Kara Connor
08-12-2009, 01:08 AM
From the thread title, I didn't (and maybe this is just me) imagine that the event was a pizza party at a mortuary, but hey, there's a recession on and I suppose that all businesses need to do some promotional activities.

I thought it was going to be more along the lines of "Would you be buried dressed as a woman or a man?". On the one hand, there is less need to be worried about being outed, but on the other hand your close family might find it upsetting. Tough call ;-)

Wrenchette
08-12-2009, 02:11 AM
Okay, this is a new one even for me. I've been in the funeral industry for a few years - more if you count owning a few hearses in high school and college - and I can't say I've heard of a home having a pizza party...

I'd do it! My boss is so cool that I've come to work dressed (not for viewings and such). Not sure how the bereaved would react if they knew that their loved one was embalmed by a crossdresser!

If I didn't say it before, go with your bad self girl!

And Nathalie66 - you've hit one of my very favorite movies as well. My wife is also 16 years older than myself. And I simply LOVE the 1959 Superior Cadillac hearse that Harold had.

VB-D0_-6tog

Mirani
08-12-2009, 02:17 AM
Dear Nathalie - reread the original thread :) No Funeral!!! Just a promotional event.

I reckon, they wont care what you wear as long as their company has a profile and you might remember them if you need such sewrvices in the future.

Be "you" - there is no disrespect in that. I am sure your choice will be "dead right" ! ;)

MissConstrued
08-12-2009, 03:38 AM
Wow... you know the economy is bad when the death business is dying.

I do suggest you go dressed, however. It's the polite thing to do while you're alive, anyway.

sandra diaz
08-12-2009, 04:03 AM
I don't think is a good Idea, evrething has time and place, and a Funeral home,is not best place for CD's.

Shikyo
08-12-2009, 04:09 AM
I don't think is a good Idea, evrething has time and place, and a Funeral home,is not best place for CD's.

The same good be said about having a party with pizza at the same place. If they already are planning to offer something like that, I really don't see why they should care what he is wearing. It's a promotional event so it would be bad for them to treat someone like that badly.

I think some dressing is a lot less worse than someone actually making a party in a funeral home to begin with. That isn't really the place to do that, but they own it and if they think it is going to be good for them let them do it.

loardata
08-12-2009, 05:27 AM
How about a ****ty Dolly Parton:devil::D

obsessedwithpantyhose
08-12-2009, 05:54 AM
ummmm that hearse was WHITE

angelis13
08-12-2009, 06:07 AM
since it's a pizza party and not a real funeral, have some fun, go in black complete with veil, and let every body know that it was your "dearly departed's" last wish to have the pizza party.

Angel

Chrissie P
08-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Wear black and have fun !!! ..........................as much fun as you can have at a mortuary.

Amy Lynn3
08-12-2009, 07:05 AM
The Funeral Home is the LAST place I want to go!!! Sorry, could not resist saying it.hehe

Barbara918
08-12-2009, 07:53 AM
"I thought it was going to be more along the lines of "Would you be buried dressed as a woman or a man?"..."

As was I.

"On the one hand, there is less need to be worried about being outed, but on the other hand your close family might find it upsetting...."

Yeah, and...?

michelle_tx
08-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Pizza party at a funeral home? I'd be worried this is some sort of way to get rid of unclaimed bodies. Reminds me a bit of that old WKRP episode where the mortuary owner was trying to do something young and hip to get younger customers because "people just aren't dying fast enough these days". As for going dressed, sure, why not. Just don't let them sell you anything.

SherriePall
08-12-2009, 11:54 AM
I would wear something respectful -- an LBD, pointy-toe, slim-heel pumps, and a black purse. Of course, since it is a pizza party, my make-up would include a bright red lipstick!
Just don't sign any papers.

getting off the subject, a wake is a wonderful place to fashion-gaze. You know, I mean of the ladies who come to pay their respects!

trannie T
08-12-2009, 05:36 PM
You may be able to get some good makeup tips from the morticans.

Fab Karen
08-12-2009, 06:02 PM
I'd decline any meat offered.:devil:

MichelleP
08-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Pizza at a mortuary? Really? No, I mean really?

I see no reason you couldn't go crossdressed. Basic black I guess. Please tell us how it goes.

Michelle

Ralph
08-12-2009, 07:16 PM
(quoting someone else)"...but on the other hand your close family might find it upsetting...."
Yeah, and...?

And... That's an example of "do unto others". I wouldn't leave my family to clean up the mess I left them any more than I would want them to go out in such a way as I'd have to spend the rest of my life answering stupid, judgmental questions.

Is it time to start another "Are crossdressers more selfish than others" thread?

Jenny Brown
08-12-2009, 08:57 PM
This whole thread sounds like it was made up just to get responses. A pizza party at a funeral home to drum up business? come on...get real. :heehee:

MissConstrued
08-12-2009, 09:56 PM
A pizza party at a funeral home to drum up business? come on...get real. :heehee:

Never look a gift hearse in the mouth, I always say.

rebecca_morris_75
08-12-2009, 10:04 PM
I don't know if you're trying to be funny or not, but I definitely got a good laugh from this :)

kellycan27
08-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Never look a gift hearse in the mouth, I always say.

No you didn't!

NathalieX66
08-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trannie T
You may be able to get some good makeup tips from the morticans

I don't know if you're trying to be funny or not, but I definitely got a good laugh from this :)

:lol:

Terri Andrews
08-12-2009, 10:24 PM
I would go ,but dress casual because it is a pizza party .

shesadvl
08-12-2009, 10:37 PM

:lol::lol2::devil: cracking up here what a good answer....

well obviously no ones deceased if yer got an invitation me thinks theyre drumming up business....:devil: so be aware... :devil: but perhaps if you want to leave this world for the next perhaps dressed as you would desire be good tooo.....:battingeyelashes:

Promoting the Mortuary is their idea to have a fun time.

Mind I have worked with funeral directors, believe me unless you ask you dont know if they're open to anything, some of the ones oi know im related to laffing, n we go through those jokes as well.

when we dressed my mom, she loved Jimmy Hendrix reggae music, we laughed n joked,mind when she died she was 66,..but to my dads bemusement as he and my brother selected what she was going to go out in. (casket).

this sort of thing doesnt have to be morbid as some make it...also oi guess depends on circumstances, there is no disrespect here.

So go as you wish what ever you are comfortable in.

Originally Posted by trannie T
You may be able to get some good makeup tips from the morticans

They now pay or have someone that does the final make overs, so to speak I have done this, just you are the one doing the make over and all the tawking laffing...;):devil:
so anytime yer want some make up tips yer can pm me if yer wish lol...depends if yer want goulhish or halloween laffing...

yeh im bad... thats me shesadvl:tongueout:devil:

Shikyo
08-12-2009, 11:00 PM
This whole thread sounds like it was made up just to get responses. A pizza party at a funeral home to drum up business? come on...get real. :heehee:

Oh wait, I thought it was the point of creating topics, to get some answers. I've been mislead. Would please tell be the real purpose of creating a thread over here? To aim to get the least answers?

C'mon, think about it. It doesn't matter if this is real or not, we can't check it out at all. As long as the thread is interesting and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it, why should we care how geniuine the thread is. In most cases we will not even be able to check out the truth about it anyway, so why should be bother thinking about something unless we know for sure it's fake, but then you can just not answer to the thread.

Just look at yourself, even you answered to the thread, so there must be something good about this thread. *giggles*

Joann0830
08-12-2009, 11:04 PM

I agree that you should go as Elvira that really is the best idea for a funeral home having a Pizza Party. Joann0830:devil:

Wrenchette
08-12-2009, 11:27 PM
ummmm that hearse was WHITE

With flames...LOL!

Believe it or not, black is not as popular as it once was. Starting around 1968-70, hearse manufacturers noticed a trend towards lighter colors.

In high school, I raced a brand new dark green Cadillac coach...yes, in my own hearse.......But that's another story for another time...lol

shesadvl
08-12-2009, 11:35 PM
With flames...LOL!

Believe it or not, black is not as popular as it once was. Starting around 1968-70, hearse manufacturers noticed a trend towards lighter colors.

In high school, I raced a brand new dark green Cadillac coach...yes, in my own hearse.......But that's another story for another time...lol

:lol: yup as in caskets you can have anything yer want, not the old fashioned oak teak with gold handles no more...lol... n yer can go dressed as yer please...:devil:

n speaking of driving a hearse ne'er it being mine laffing... oi used to work in a servicing department for a motor company n the "GUYS" wouldnt drive it into the work shop....so oi said geeze what a load of Wuss's, I drove it in and out.....am skeered nuttin or no-one.

Magickman
08-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Honest, folks, the Bradshaw Funeral Home in St. Paul, MN is usng the lure of free pizza to bring people in for a funeral preplanning presentation.

They are having both lunch and dinner sessions next Tuesday.

How could I make up something this unusual?

Mirani
08-13-2009, 01:02 AM
http://www.bradshawfuneral.com/ :tongueout

Check it out. They seem to be a very forward-thinking and progressive people.
Look at the FREE support offered (left side of web page) and fresh approach.
The mission statement is worth a read.
"Some years ago, Jim Bradshaw set out to "create a new conversation about funeral homes," using innovative methods of planning and individualized service that breaks the mold of the "typical" funeral. "

I would say the marketing idea has worked. Even I, this side of the pond, know about them. If I was local to them I would be going for my slice of pizza and probably signing up with them.

So, apologies are in order from anyone who disbelieved MM.

And as for the reason for the thread, I reckon they would be happy for you MM, to dress as you please and you would be treated with respect and dignity.

Dress as you please! :thumbsup::tongueout

Hope
08-13-2009, 01:37 AM
It's obvious isn't it? You wear black.

Or red if you really want to be a bad-ass.

Barbara918
08-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Ralph, I'm afraid you misunderstood my post. It wasn't in the "selfish CD" category, it was in the "once I'm dead, nothing will matter" category.

Jenny Brown
08-13-2009, 08:28 AM
C'mon, think about it. It doesn't matter if this is real or not

Maybe to you, it doesn't matter. It does matter to some on this forum. Sorry, I don't buy it for one second.:doh:

Leslie Langford
08-13-2009, 08:56 AM

Yes, wouldn't that be the ultimate transformation :D!

Better yet, what about raiding Morticia Addams' closet and going as her look-alike? That's bound to be an attention grabber, although the creepiness factor might just drive away some potential business:doh::eek:.

Shikyo
08-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Maybe to you, it doesn't matter. It does matter to some on this forum. Sorry, I don't buy it for one second.:doh:

It doesn't matter, because one could go to any of the threads posted in here and start asking if its real or not. Every single one, so I don't see a point in making this one special case at all. Yes, a party at a funeral home seems strange, but it's not unbelievable. It is totally possible that someone might have an promotional idea like that. Who knows it might even work out very well.

So simply put, if you don't think somethings real, don't go around stating anything about it unless you can prove it's not true. If you can't and you still don't want to believe it, just leave the freaking thread alone. You do not have an obligation to post a message into each thread nor should you go around stating that someone is lying about something. It just isn't polite at all. No one forces you to believe what the thread started said, you know.

As you seem to have more information than anyone in this thread about this "lie", would you please show as some proves that would prove your statement? C'mon get real and show us some proves or be quiet and don't go around accusing others of lying.

DameErrant
08-13-2009, 10:10 AM
If anyone asks, just say that when your time comes, this is how you wish to be dressed for the viewing, and are looking for establishments that will be cooperative. If they want you to sign something, just say you want to shop around. Then ask about how good their makeup people are, and if they take direction well.

You wouldn't be the first one who has done this. One of my friends intends to be buried in a wedding gown. Says s/he wants to be ready when the Bridegroom comes!

JoAnne Wheeler
08-13-2009, 10:15 AM
NO - I would not go - either dressed or in drab - free pizza party at a mortuary is really strange and in poor taste

JoAnne Wheeler

Ralph
08-13-2009, 12:50 PM
NO - I would not go - either dressed or in drab - free pizza party at a mortuary is really strange and in poor taste

I bet you're a real hoot at family reunions. What makes it poor taste? Morticians have to eat too... and unless you want a high suicide rate, they should enjoy their work... and unless you want them to go bankrupt, they need to do something unusual to attract business.

When I go, I want clowns and jugglers and a Dixieland jazz band at my funeral. *AND* there'll be a pizza party, youbetcha.

Jenny Brown
08-13-2009, 02:55 PM
So simply put, if you don't think somethings real, don't go around stating anything about it unless you can prove it's not true.
I looked at their web site. There's nothing about a pizza party on there. :tongueout

Shikyo
08-13-2009, 03:02 PM
I looked at their web site. There's nothing about a pizza party on there. :tongueout

Might work, if there would be more information about this local mortuary, but I can't even find the place where Magickman is located, so tell me your secret how did you find it out? As there is no name mentioned, no location mentioned. All we know, it's near Magickman's home as he called it a local mortuary.

Anyway, this seems waste of time anyway, I'm out of this "discussion".

Jenny Brown
08-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Might work, if there would be more information about this local mortuary, but I can't even find the place where Magickman is located, so tell me your secret how did you find it out? As there is no name mentioned, no location mentioned. All we know, it's near Magickman's home as he called it a local mortuary.
Anyway, this seems waste of time anyway, I'm out of this "discussion".
http://www.bradshawfuneral.com/