PDA

View Full Version : Letting the dressing dictate and not the outting

Princess Chantal
08-13-2009, 02:22 AM
There is so much mentioning of dressing appropriate for the outting, that it got me wondering abit.
Are there anyone else out there that likes to let their preferred dressing look (of the moment) determine the appropriate outting? or would like to?
Example;
Dressed in a business suit, you decide to pass up on going to McD's for lunch cause you figure that you are over dressed. You hit the business sector of your city and hit an internet cafe for a nibble.

*If you don't try different looks in your crossdressing adventures and/or take extreme pride in wearing the same old, same old, "everyday casual fashions of the average woman" please don't reply. This is not intended for you.*

MissConstrued
08-13-2009, 03:53 AM
*If you don't try different looks in your crossdressing adventures and/or take extreme pride in wearing the same old, same old, "everyday casual fashions of the average woman" please don't reply. This is not intended for you.*

Average is lame. Average only sets the drab backdrop against which the few shine. :D

As to your question... it hasn't arisen yet, but it will. I do want to start trying some new looks -- evening formal, for instance. Perhaps this fall I'll get to the symphony or similar. Of course, I go there odd years anyway, so maybe instead of dressing for the occasion, it will be a matter of cross-dressing for the occasion. So maybe it's one of those chicken-or-egg questions. What drives which? Evening gowns, or classical music? It's a win-win. Unless it's Mahler. Then maybe opera... and I hate opera. :straightface: Anyhow....

Ren Fair garb, too, is an ambition of mine... pretty limited on places to go wearing several yards of dress.

MichelleP
08-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Yes. I have a skirt suit I like very much but it's not for the mall. Its for grabbing lunch downtown instead. I also have a pretty, long dinner dress I like to wear but only to appropriate events like going the a stage play or opera.

Michelle

Phyliss Hdson
08-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Is always a good idea. Ussually when I go out to lunch, i want to GO somewhere, so I wear a nice skirt, blouse and heels and head to the bussiness district. Then window shop at the downtown stores. Once or twice while on the way home I stopped at A Denny's type place and had coffee and pie for dessert. A bit over dressed maybe but it was still during office hours,and i had some papers that needed filling out so I sat and had my coffee and filled in the blanks.
When I go out at night my atire is ussaully a tad bit dressier than those around me, but when out for the evening I want to look nice.
As for cassual I have two denim skirts one short and one just about the knee, as I have not been able to find pants (that I dont want to wear anyway) that fit me.
And some days I wear what makes me feel good and dont worry if I am over dressed.

Hugs Phyliss

Ralph
08-14-2009, 10:54 AM
I guess I was born in the wrong century. To me, "just above the knee" IS short! There used to be a GG my office, wore black tights and skirts that barely covered her hips all the time. At best she looked like a cheerleader (in her 40's), and at worst... well, I guess she did look like a "professional" woman.

sandra-leigh
08-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Yes, sort of.

I have gone to considerable trouble to find multi-purpose dresses that fit my (presented) socio-economic class -- something that would be fine in an office, mall, out to dinner, on a bus, in a grocery store, anywhere where you aren't expected to be wearing your finery. With those dresses, I can go anywhere I feel like at the time. The dresses that are much easier to find are either inexpensive low-quality "loud-pattern" mass-market seasonal "wear a few times and throw away" poly-rayon dresses, or else "dress up" dresses that you need an Occasion for if you don't want to be attract attention for being out of place. When I wear a "dress up" dress, it is usually for a specific outing (or else bussing home after an outing... that's considered socially acceptable.)

So, Yes, what I wear does change the dynamics of where I will go and where I wander to.

When I'm "gender-bending", the places I will consider to go to eat will depend on how I feel about the aesthetics of the overall look. If I've just tossed together some random clothes that don't look silly but also don't look like I've taken some time to consider the "look", then I'm more likely to eat in one of the cafes that knows me; if I'm feeling good about my presentation, then my chance of going to somewhere new or more upscale increases. In such a situation the question for me isn't about "passing", but about whether the clothes are a sufficient match for the ambiance of the eating establishment.

I have gone into more upscale establishments looking like "a guy in a dress" or "a guy in a skirt and a top or blouse", and I have been treated perfectly fine -- but I wouldn't go into those same establishments in pure "guy mode" in ragged jeans and a T-shirt. Over-dressing or under-dressing for the occasion is, in my experience, more of a problem, more of an attention-getter, than cross-dressing itself is.

dilane
08-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Average is lame.

Perhaps this fall I'll get to the symphony or similar. Of course, I go there odd years anyway, so maybe instead of dressing for the occasion, it will be a matter of cross-dressing for the occasion. So maybe it's one of those chicken-or-egg questions. What drives which? Evening gowns, or classical music? It's a win-win. Unless it's Mahler. Then maybe opera... and I hate opera. :straightface: Anyhow....

Opera and classical concerts on Saturday night have the best dressed women, imo. If you want to try glam, here's your shot. It's lots of fun, especially milling around at intermission serenely sipping your cosmo, soaking up the stares of admirers.

My faves are Wagner, LVB, and Sibelius.

Classical folks are usually more polite. I've only been chased out of the Disney Hall once :)

http://golosangeles.about.com/od/thingstodoinlosangeles/ig/Disney-Concert-Hall-Tour/

Princess Chantal
08-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Most of the time I have a set outting/event (mostly due to my involvement in the local crossdressing group and the kink community) so I let my dressing be determined by the outting/event.
However,
If there is no set outting, my dressing determines where I find myself. If I feel like dressing in my Goth look then I spend my day/night strolling through Osbourne Village where it wouldn't be a shock to see that type of attire. If I put on my more youthful (not quite age appropriate) look, then I'm more likely to head to an arcade or the local LGBT* club (if it's one of the nights that are usually frequented by younger adults).