PDA

View Full Version : cd depression

Shari
08-16-2009, 06:57 AM
It's occured to me that over the last year that I've been a member here, that there seems to be an inordinate amount of depression among the members.
There is also much happiness written.

What strikes me is that most of the threads tend to be on either end of the spectrum and not much in between.

I don't like to categorize, but it seems to me if you're a cross dresser, you're either elated or approaching hari-kari.

Do you see it too?

LisaM
08-16-2009, 07:18 AM
Shari,

Lots of people here suffer from gender dysphoria and depression is a major symptom. I know it first hand.

deja true
08-16-2009, 07:18 AM
Yeah, there is a lot of that, ain't there?

But also there are a lot of us who've come to some kind of (relatively) steady state with our own perceptions of who we are ... and don't really suffer from having to ride though the pink fog of ecstacy and then the black fog of depression on a daily (or weekly or monthly) basis. It's called self acceptance, I guess.

Still ... the journey is really the important part, ain't it?

:)

Danielle Gee
08-16-2009, 07:31 AM
When I was younger I went thru the "Mood-Swings" too . As I aged, both my wife and I got more comfortable with my "Danielle" persona and my moods leveled out.

I've found that honesty & acceptance can smooth out the stormiest seas of life. Unfortunately for me, I passed all the years when I could have flaunted a (passabily) good body and face by hiding in the closet.

Love (with a wry smile) Danielle

ColleenW
08-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Yeah, there is a lot of that, ain't there?

But also there are a lot of us who've come to some kind of (relatively) steady state with our own perceptions of who we are ... and don't really suffer from having to ride though the pink fog of ecstacy and then the black fog of depression on a daily (or weekly or monthly) basis. It's called self acceptance, I guess.

Still ... the journey is really the important part, ain't it?

:)

I think you're right, personal acceptance is the key.

battybattybats
08-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Going by the Australian Youth Attempted Suicide Stats for Gays and Lesbians youth who fall into the 'undecided' catagory are in a higher-risk catagory and experience more depression and suicidal ideation.
This backs up the idea that as they come to terms with their sexuality they are less likely to self-harm or feel depressed.

It also though puts a strong consequence on everyone. Homophobia and Transphobia harms mental health and even kills.

The way to solve this problem includes removing the stigma to being TG and GLB and paving the way for increasing and easier self and social acceptance. And this link is ever-useful too http://ctb.ku.edu/en/tablecontents/sub_section_main_1172.htm

RobynP
08-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi, Shari!

I think there is some sadness and some melancholy... After all, this board is here to support us not only when things are going well but when things are not going well... We all have our highs and lows as they are a part of our life.

"Depression" is an very overused term... Medically, depression is when you get into a funk and never naturally come out if it. And you are so much in a funk you cannot do normal things like work or interact with people... There are a number of things that cause depression and they are sometimes physically or chemically related.

There can also be problems when someone's mood swings are too high and then too low or too rapid.

I urge anyone who thinks they are suffering from depression to seek medical assistance as soon as possible because it IS a treatable condition.

Robyn P.

docrobbysherry
08-16-2009, 02:44 PM
hormones around here!?:brolleyes:

Christinedreamer
08-16-2009, 03:26 PM
I have run the gamut from being ecstatic when I was married that my love loved and actively encouraged my femme side to being almost suicidal.

I have tried therapy unsuccessfully as the therapist was bent on getting me into SRS from the first meeting.

I have a great dichotomy in my personality as I am sure many here do. I adore super frilly very girly things,( clothes, perfumes, bedroom decor) however my body has not cooperated in making the enjoyment of these very possible or practical.

As you can see I am not a petite little thing and I have broad shoulders and a deep voice. I do not see myself as large as others do much like an anorexic does not see what the world does. I love feeling all soft and femme and encveloped in soft things but when not in girly mode I am an electronics designer and thoroughly enjoy my techhie shop and building things. I also do electrical rework for neighbors and that tears up my hands so they are scarred.

Since I long ago came to the conclusion that I could not appear the way I would like, I try to compensate by enjoying reading about and looking at others in our world for whom the dressing and actually being successful at the appearance and carriage of a true GG comes easier.

I have dated a few TGs from various pointas along the gender spectrum. I always feel like a gentleman and wish to treat these "gals" as true women and to be honest my first thoughts are NOT about sex. Many TGs think that when a straight looking guy shows an interest in them it MUST mean sex at sometime in the near furure. That is NOT necessarily the case. You may be surprised that the gentleman who was interested in you may in fact, be one of us. I get depressed at the frequently espoused idea that all we want is sex. I do not live my life through my groin. It just may be that I along with many others are truly intersted in a different personality, a guy strong enough emotionally to let his macho guard down to express a gentler side.

Some would argue that any GM interested in a TG MUST be gay. Could it not be that we are just interested in the person you are? A balance of male, with which we share a somewhat kindred spirit, and the blended feminine expression of gentleness and softness?

Perhaps I am the odd man out here.

tricia_uktv
08-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Yes thats true. It is however extreme what we do and what we want to do. I think it comes with the territory. I would say though, and I may be wrong?

The ecstatic are out of the closet

The depressive are still inside.

Is that unfair?