PDA

View Full Version : Provincetown-a kids view

Trycia
08-18-2009, 11:28 AM
The family made its annual trek up to Cape Cod last week & as part of the trip we went whale watching out of Provincetown Harbor-if you ever get the chance to do this, go, we saw 25-30 different whales, some within 20 feet of the boat. Incredible, but I digress.

After the trip it was about 8pm, my wife & kids (ages 6,9 & 13 boy boy girl)and I decided to hang in Ptown for a bit, take in the scenes etc. Now we forewarned our kids that it is a very artsy, open community (read gay-we used that term with our kids).

And remember most of this is through the eyes of our kids. We start walking down Commercial St & immediately see guys holding hands, girls walking with one another etc. My wife & I are very open minded when it comes to anyone's preferences, so we did not think a big deal of it. Apparently my 6 year old decided it would be in his best interest to point to all of the guys holding hands etc & remark that they were gay :eek:. Not loud enough for us to hear, but brother & sister picked up on it immediately and brought it to our attention. We nipped that one in the bud, went over again how he should act etc.

Well we stopped in for ice cream at Twistd Sister and as we are coming out we hear a bell of a bicycle and someone calling out. They are mixed in the crowd so we cant quite see them then suddedly a gurl on a bike slowly glides past letting everyone know that their drag show would be at 10 tonight at such & such bar. She was riding a bright pink bike, in a nice green dress, and up to the nines. Well I look over at the kids and there are looks of confusion, smiles & laughs. We sort of let it pass as we did not want to make a big deal.

As luck would have it about 15 minutes later we're strolling around & 4 ladies are walking toward us. Again all made up to the nines, looking very nice (yes at this point I am very envious). I peek out of the side of my eyes to see what reaction the peanut gallery has. The two boys are smiling becuase they think its funny these ladies are all dressed up yet the rest of us are in shorts, flip flops etc. Once they pass my daughter asks if they were women. (I have to say I believe 3 out of the 4 were TG and one GG.) I definitely had a tough time deciding though-they were absolutely passable and beautiful. Well my wife lets her know that some were men dressed up as women & my daughter cant believe it, how can that be & as she put it, how do they have boobs? :D

We gave her the teenager version of forms etc etc, but I'm still not certain if she bought it. It was good to expose the kids to such a fun & neat environment and hope that it will keep their minds open as they deal with the challenges of life.

CharleneT
08-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Sounds like a good introduction to the variety that makes up this wacky world of ours. As well, you kids apparently reacted pretty well !! Congrads and rasing 'em right ;-)

When I was young it was much less common to see anyone from the LGBT or CD world, out and about. Although I did not grow up with prejudice to such, I surely wish I had been exposed to them prior to college. Would have given me courage that I wasn't as alone as I felt.

joandher
08-18-2009, 04:07 PM
What a good way to introduce them,and it sure will help them understand if they catch you

:hugs:
J-JAY

Angel.Marie76
08-18-2009, 04:38 PM
I was thinking about bringing my son out to P-Town one of these days, just to show him that it's not so unusual that his dad is TG. Problem is, of course, that for a near-tween boy I don't think there's much to do out there except perhaps that whale watch. Who knows.. one of these days.

Kristen Marie
08-18-2009, 05:45 PM
I went to Fantasia Fair two years ago and had a chance to stroll the streets of PTown in drag.....kind of dream come true. But I looked so "normal" there it was almost a disappointment!

Fab Karen
08-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Yeah, P-Town is known as a gay vacation spot. ( Not just locals )
Great that your kids are getting exposure to parts of the real world some parents want to pretend doesn't exist.

"Mary"
08-18-2009, 09:04 PM
I almost went to P-town.

I was on the Cape and went out one night in Hyannis. I asked about P-town and everyone said it was a good place to go to pick up a guy, but I wouldn't have much fun lounging around CD, so I didn't trek all the way out there and just stayed in Hyannis a second night.

NathalieX66
08-18-2009, 09:30 PM
I almost went to P-town.

I was on the Cape and went out one night in Hyannis. I asked about P-town and everyone said it was a good place to go to pick up a guy, but I wouldn't have much fun lounging around CD, so I didn't trek all the way out there and just stayed in Hyannis a second night.

P-Town is very Cd friendly....unless something has changed in the last few years that I don't know about. Sometimes I think the "gaybear mafia" comes into a scene or community and they change everything for themselves, I hope that's not the case with provincetown. How's that for a loaded comment? Only been there twice....never had the reason to go beyond Hyannis for the dozens of times I've been on the cape.
A couple of my friends always commented on the amount of CD's....that was back in the 80's & 90's.

pennylee
08-18-2009, 09:45 PM
We go there at least once a year for the whale watching. It's awesome! We are taking 4 of the gkids for Labor Day weekend, our second trip this year. People watching is another recreation that is widely done there, and well worth the time spent.:thumbsup: