PDA

View Full Version : Discrimination or Progress? You Decide...

Leslie Langford
08-19-2009, 12:03 AM
StyleSense stores (a division of Winners, the Canadian affiliate of T.J. Maxx) will be sponsoring Stiletto Sprint on September 11, 2009, which is a charity event in aid of women cancer victims.

It involves a 100-meter dash featuring several substantial cash prizes, and the details are given in the attached link:

http://www.stylesensestilettosprint.ca/default.htm

The good news - it is open to men as well as women (Progress :thumbsup:)

The bad news - the Grand Prize for women is $10,000, with $2,500 and $1,000 for second and third place finishers; for men, the only prize is a measly $1,000 ("men don't need as many shoes") (Discrimination? :thumbsdn:)

And oh yes!, the race starts at 5:45 A.M. That's right, 5:45 A.M., with registration at 5:00 A.M. What evil genius dreamt that one up?

Then again, maybe it's to keep the trannies out of the public eye as much as possible, as well as to unobtrusively whisk away any fallen "foot soldiers" who might have gotten injured while tripping over their 3" stilettos as they race towards the finish line (hey, even Supermodels have fallen on their keisters while unsuccessfully high-heeling it down the runway!).

Should be a fun event. Any takers? We might even be able to teach the GG's a thing or two about walking (running?) in heels. After all, we've generally had a lot more practice :D.

GaleWarning
08-19-2009, 01:49 AM
Isn't it funny how our minds work?
This post reminded me that, for may years, female tennis players were paid a lot less than their male counter-parts.
Which reminded me of the line, "Anyone for tennis?"
Then, "Dennis is a menace, with his 'Anyone for tennis?' and beseeching me to come and keep the score. And Maud said, ..."

Enough! To find out what Maud said, listen ...

MlytuIhCOps

Shikyo
08-19-2009, 02:08 AM
At the first sight, it does look like discrimination. But on the second sight, how many guys will be even joining this fun? There is sure going to be a lot more women joining this race compared to guys.

Thus it will be easier winning the first price for the guys as there will not be that big competition for the first price.

However, if there are an nearly equal number of girls and guys who want to participate for the race, it would be discrimination of the guys.

As I highly doubt there will be that many male runners, I don't think this is discrimination at all.

MichelleP
08-19-2009, 10:51 AM
So it sounds like running en femme would be much more profitable than running in drab. Hmmmm. Here's one instance were a girl's ability to pass might just be worth a lot of money!

Anyway, I'd be game to run it either way!

Michelle

CharleneT
08-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Facts are facts, men DON'T need as many shoes - or as expensive !! :D

Shikyo is right though, probably not going to be many men...

Ralph
08-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Then, "Dennis is a menace, with his 'Anyone for tennis?' and beseeching me to come and keep the score. And Maud said, ..."

My friend, you are one weird dude. And I mean that in a good way. When I see "anyone for tennis?" it always reminds me of the "Salad Days" skit from Monty Python:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1-NpyaOWV0

GaleWarning
08-19-2009, 03:35 PM
And you call ME wierd, Ralph!
:rofl: :lol:

KandisTX
08-19-2009, 07:11 PM
I'd do it, but I'm nowhere near there ;)

Kandis:love::rose2:

trannie T
08-19-2009, 07:32 PM
I would suspect that if they sold a pair of stillettos to every crossdresser in Canada they would still sell more shoes to women. They are merely catering to their market. If you want more prize money buy more heels.

I talked to a drag queen a few years ago, she had just completed a ten mile AIDS march in six inch platform heels. If she was competing I'd put my money on her to win.

KerryLynn
08-19-2009, 10:06 PM
sprinting in spiked heels? OMG that sounds like a broken leg ankle or heel waiting to happen. Please help me Dr Shoals

Alice B
08-19-2009, 10:49 PM
I don't think it is discrimination at all. The event is for woman's cancer and they should get the bulk of the rewards because it is a female problem. I think it is great that the event allows for men to enter and that they do offer a prize. Go for it and have fun doing it.

sarahNZ
08-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Sounds a lot like one of the "fun events" at the "beach hop" which is held each year in NZ. Last year (I think) was an event such as this race, it was open to all that wanted to have a run in their heels but I am not sure that the prise money was comparable. Heck there were even pics of the lads in dresses runing down the streets in the local papers.

Sadly I didn't make the run, but if it is on again next time I will have a go for sure :heehee:

Gerard
08-20-2009, 09:12 AM
If it's just related to the number of male and female participants then I see no problem. I might even understand the whole spending pattern argument.

In general I don't see much wrong with it. I don't think that in all cases differences in payment based on gender are discrimination, although some are. Sometimes it's just fair supply and demand free market effects, usually related to products marketed to a specific gender.
I can think of the modelling business for example. Some sports, and the adult industry probably also qualify.

In general, where either looks or athletic performance are concerned, I can understand a differentiation, if both are irrelevant, then differences in rewards based on gender are probably discrimination.

Lissa Stevens
08-20-2009, 10:12 AM
I have heard of an event in a nearby town called, In Her Shoes. In it men race in heels to benefit Cancer research. I wish I could have participated but I had to work.