PDA

View Full Version : do you think "passing " gets easier as one ages?

Danielle Gee
08-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Speaking as an "Older" gal, it seems to me that as men and women age they begin to look more and more alike....Both sexes are wrinkly and gray.....and I don't know about you girls, but I have enough extra flesh on my eyelids to supply an entire girl scout troop......

But my point is as I look at the photos of you gals that are close to my age, I think to myself...."Yeah, she could pass.....Rather well in fact"

I'll probably get flamed for this post, but I'd enjoy the comments ( and I mean no disrespect to any of you gals):love:

Danielle

flickr_addict
08-20-2009, 07:53 PM
it's hard to keep the weight off and skin soft the older you get so definitely younger.

Joni Marie Cruz
08-20-2009, 07:56 PM
I think it just depends on the person. I've seen some absolutely gorgeous tgirls of all ages. It would be so nice if age helped you pass, I'd be a freekin movie star.<lol>

Hugs...Joni Mari

Xenia
08-20-2009, 08:02 PM
it's hard to keep the weight off...

Call me dense, but what does weight have to do with passing? It's not as if every woman in the world is a size 2.....

paulaN
08-20-2009, 08:06 PM
I think it is easier because when we are older we get the confidence that we need to pass.

Mandyflcd
08-20-2009, 08:14 PM
I don't know and won't until I get older. But my guess is not because there are years upon years of masculine habits built up. Passing is not just looks... it is everything; how you act, how you stand, how you walk, etc. But then I could be wrong. I won't know until I get there.

Megan70
08-20-2009, 08:20 PM
I think it is easier because when we are older we get the confidence that we need to pass.
Couldn't have said it better.Gee Danielle Gee ( it ryhmes) seeing your profile picture you look great to me. I'm 62, an old broad from the children of the
60's Woodstock generation ( I was THERE) and men and women do lose their specific gendered features as they age and become more homogenized. Also I have 10 times more confidence in going out and doing womanly things for a day than I did 20 years ago.

Keep in mind that makeup, lighting and selectivity in choosing one out of many photos to show presents a false illusion compared to if you were up close and personal. Half of us would not look at all like our profile or Avatar pic. I've been dressing and going out in public for 50 years... since 12. Got a lot of 'strreet time ' under my skirt... er belt I mean.

We should PM sometime and get to know each other, we have many things in common.
Megan

"Mary"
08-20-2009, 08:23 PM
I'll have to think about why but my gut reaction is that one would have more success when younger.

Violetgray
08-20-2009, 08:43 PM
I actually think that it gets a bit easier as you go gray.

I think that for many, young=pretty=passable. I disagree. Personally, I'd rather look like a homely woman than a pretty tranny.

It's easier to be skinny when you're younger, but skinny doesn't equal feminine. Heck, Ike Turner was skinny.

As we get older we tend to gain weight, and it can help soften our features a bit. Also our testosterone goes down, and we get a bit more in the boob area. At the same time, women are going through changes as well, and at a certain point there's a kind of androgyny similar to when we were small children.

For that reason both really young AND older its easier to pass than in middle age.

sherri52
08-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I think younger is easier. Especially if you work outside. The weather hardens your skin, if you don't have an understanding so you don't treat yourself to skin treatments or oils just to maintain your masculinity you rough it out because you love you wife. I suppose when I get old enough it will get easier again but I'm only 57 now

Kathi Lake
08-20-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm 46, but don't dress (or act) like it. Some say I don't look it. As I get older, I do find it gets easier - whether due to practice or otherwise.

Kathi

Stephanie Miller
08-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Oh that's not true. A lot of us old girls have a hard time passing. Not only that but.... bu.... Now what was I saying?

dilane
08-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Speaking as an "Older" gal, it seems to me that as men and women age they begin to look more and more alike....Both sexes are wrinkly and gray.....and I don't know about you girls, but I have enough extra flesh on my eyelids to supply an entire girl scout troop......

But my point is as I look at the photos of you gals that are close to my age, I think to myself...."Yeah, she could pass.....Rather well in fact"

I'll probably get flamed for this post, but I'd enjoy the comments ( and I mean no disrespect to any of you gals):love:

Danielle

There are a few things that jump to mind:

1. As an older person (I'm looking at 60 soon), the non-perfect skin isn't a dead giveaway, as rougher skin would be on a younger person.

2. The younger women don't give you the visual 3rd degree, since you're obviously not competition.

3. Passing gets easier and easier as the years go by, just due to face time in the real world.

4. In the straight world, I still get plenty of attention at places frequented by middle-agers.

CharleneT
08-20-2009, 10:22 PM
I like Dilane's answers... I'll add this one little bit:

it is both ends where things are easier. Young folks have it good and older folks do too. It is those in-between where the problems come up !

vikki2020
08-20-2009, 11:01 PM
I agree that the confidence and attitude get stronger as you get older. You also have a little bit of the "I don't care what others think" as you progress thru life.So easier to pass? Yeah, because maybe your not stressing the passing part like you used to, just enjoying the moments.I know that you meant the physical aspect, and I guess we all, men and woman ,get to that point where were just old people! And both sexes do tend to look alike,eh? Sometimes when you see a very old couple, if they were to switch clothes, they would look just like the same couple! So CD'ng at 80? Yup, you won't even have to shave!:D-- But then, there's Lena Horne!

linnea
08-20-2009, 11:12 PM
I think that you're right. I also agree with the point that men and women begin to look more and more alike as they get older.
I'd like to look really young, but when it comes to the physical aspects of passing, age helps.

Sarah Doepner
08-20-2009, 11:25 PM
It looks to me like I did better when I was younger. As men age their nose and ears continue to grow and I find it more difficult to adjust my makeup to deal with my larger nose. However, because of my experience I am more comfortable in this skin than I was all those years ago. Frankly, I didn't pass then and don't now, but care less about it now.

Carly D.
08-21-2009, 12:20 AM
I would say that I think if I was trying to pass when I was younger it might be easier.. I never thought of passing back then though.. strangely enough I was more into the sexual pleasuring of myself back in the early days so I didn't even think of going out dressed at all.. in fact the early days was more of dressing in pantyhose than anything else.. wasn't till I got a little older that I started to appreciate how good the clothes actually felt.. what it meant to dress up.. and now I am going back to the old days of wearing less but feeling great without the worry of passing.. of course I'm still in the closet except for a few times this past spring...

Gina_C
08-21-2009, 12:56 AM
You do not see any second looks because your eyesight has failed.

You do not hear any disparaging remarks because your hearing has failed.

You can't remember the last time you were read because your memory has failed.

Diane Smith
08-21-2009, 01:55 AM
I think passing gets easier with age only because I am gaining more experience at the technical/aesthetic aspects of it, I don't care as much what other people think when they see me anymore, and my femme mannerisms are better developed than they were years ago.

But who could honestly say they wouldn't want to be 22 again, with a smooth face and full head of hair? A lot of the younger members here seem to transform effortlessly into convincing women, while we older folks have to push, pull, paint, pad, cover and struggle a great deal more to create a plausible image.

- Diane

tricia_uktv
08-21-2009, 02:19 AM
I think it likely is easier because of our attitude as we get older. We care less and less about what other people think hence we become more relaxed.

That does not mean its easy to pass though!

Emily01
08-21-2009, 02:42 AM
my experience leads me to say easier....not as interested in being eye-popping sexy so i stand out less, my beard is much lighter so it's easier to mask with much less make-up, i'm more comfortable in my own skin and i think that reflects in a kind of serenity and peace-of-mind i didn't have in my youth, and i'm much better skilled at my craft than i ever was....also i'm less afraid and that has to count for something too.....but again, this is only my experience.....i guess it's like high school though ~ sometimes i wish i could do it over with what i know now! i think in this age of digital cameras, a more accepting population, and the terrific fashions i'd rather be young and working on passing than older and getting fairly good at it. lol

emmlouise
08-21-2009, 02:47 AM
Sadly, when I was young I was quite cute and very passable, now 30 years later, I should be so lucky, I only pass in a thick fog on a moonless night.

Frédérique
08-21-2009, 05:41 AM
do you think "passing " gets easier as one ages?

Hi Danielle,

These days I have absolutely no problem passing as a frumpy librarian, that’s for sure…

Stephanie Kay
08-21-2009, 05:43 AM
Hi, girls,

It has been my experience that the older I dress (longer skirts & dresses, grey hair, a bit heavier in the breasts, belly, thighs, etc) the easier it is to pass. I attribute most of this "passing" to the attitude of our culture. Older women are mostly "invisible" in our culture. Nobody (men or women) pays attention to old ladies. Ask real women. The older you get the more you are ignored. I think that is sad for women! But I happen to like it! I want to be in the world as a woman and not draw attention to myself. So I dress more appropriate to my age and fewer and fewer people pay attention to me! Good for me, but not so good for real women.

I remember the first time I went out with grey hair. I went to Target with a girlfriend and I waited for her at the end of the checkout area by the exit doors. Nobody even gave me a glance, much less a second look!! I notice the same thing waiting in line in the ladies room or just walking along in the mall! Nobody pays attention to old ladies!! And I like that!!

Love,
Stephanie

carrie-ann
08-21-2009, 05:55 AM
As a 50 year old I think it gets easyer some times. You still need to look good but not as much detail as younger. for some one like me thats been cross dressing for almost 40 years.

gender_blender
08-21-2009, 06:30 AM
Depends on if you consider youthful beauty a factor in passing.
People generally don't get more attractive as they age, which may work in favor of passing, but I feel it's easier to pass for sexy feminine at a younger age.

Ashley_in_Texas
08-21-2009, 07:23 AM
At 16, I think I even fooled myself. At 36, I would be a fool to think it.

Sally2005
08-21-2009, 09:23 AM
I think when you are young you can pass visually, but confidence is usually the killer. Anyone who is young and too scared to try it and get out and about really should do it...if only to gain the experience and build character.

I agree. A lot of older people do pass very well. Some people with a lot of extra fat on their faces also do well. I think the hardest is middle age...it is hard to 'pass' with a heavy build or large beer gut that many males have and even if you loose a lot of weight then your face looks less feminine and you loose any chance at hips. Probably a lot to do with natural hormone levels...when you are young you have none and when you are older the male and female levels are similar. Experience and not caring what anyone else thinks helps.

sherri
08-21-2009, 09:32 AM
do you think "passing " gets easier as one ages?To me, your question presumes that we might be passable, when in fact very few of us are, regardless of age.

Prissy Linda
08-21-2009, 10:07 AM
I kinda think it goes in cycles. I started dressing at a very early age, being a cute boy with feminine features and supportive parents made it easy to be relaxed about the whole dressing thing. When I became a teenager the testosterone kicked in so I started looking more males with my body changing and developing muscle and facial features. I also became more sexual so my dressing turned more to the sexy side which was a turn on sexually.

Now that I'm in my 50's the testosterone levels have diminished somewhat, dressing super sexy isn't the big turn on that it used to be so I dress more age appropriate although I don't dress like a woman in her 50's, more like late 30's. I also believe we do tend to care less about presenting ourselves as the strong male type, we learn to relax and be ourselves. Along with the diminished testosterone our muscles aren't quite as hard and defined, womens hormones also reduce so we really do start to resemble each other.

Just my thoughts...

Linda

Nicole Brown
08-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Speaking as a senior girl, over 60, I firmly believe that passing gets easier as you age, or at least you don't care as much as you use to what people think. I have been going out as Nicole for over 2 years and in that time I have only had 2 instances where I encountered stupid narrow minded people who felt the need to remind me that I am not at woman.

In general, I feel that I pass more easily today then I did when I started venturing out 2 years ago. I am sure that a good part of this is due to my improved skill with makeup, a much more expensive and lifelike wig and clothing much more suited to my size and age.

Nicole

slamddoger
08-21-2009, 10:38 AM
i think as we get older we gane more expericnce that we get more relaxed in going out as women

victoriamwilliams1
08-21-2009, 10:40 AM
I think as you get older you also lose those inhibitions and you stop caring what people think. Also your hormones do drop plus weigh gain as it has been stated. I also think that since we do wear make up our skin ages differently than most men. The average guy could care less about his skin and skin care.

Now for me as I am getting older I have adopted the I do not care what people think attitude and being tall I used to be nervous and now I still get that way but thats when I am dressing in Michigan. :)

joandher
08-21-2009, 10:45 AM
HI Girls has anybody had a good close look at our younger generation it may be me but a lot of the lads have very fem features ,some times I have to look to see if they have a bust to decide their gender .( it could be my old eyes) so I think the younger generation could and can do it easy
Also co/ding is very much more acceptable these days,and people are just too busy getting on with their own lives to even care
The older generation would have been hospitalized and persecuted 40/50 years ago,like gay people were if found out
But because of the vast amount and styles, and make up now available and the confidence that a web site like this one installs in the older generation they too, can do it.
I think the middle years would be the most difficult at this moment in time, but who knows what the next 10/20 years will bring,look how much has been achieved in the last 20 years

:hugs: J-JAY

Olivia
08-21-2009, 05:41 PM
But who could honestly say they wouldn't want to be 22 again, with a smooth face and full head of hair? A lot of the younger members here seem to transform effortlessly into convincing women, while we older folks have to push, pull, paint, pad, cover and struggle a great deal more to create a plausible image.

- Diane

You told the truth Diane. But, as was also mentioned, when I was young and possibly more able to pass in public, I don't remember even thinking much of going out then So, yes, one's attitude about passing does change with age. :) Olivia