PDA

View Full Version : herbs?

Sophie_Serendipity
08-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi everyone, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place or if it has been covered elsewhere.

I'm not really in a position where I can start using hormones, but have also heard that some herbs can 'promote' some breast growth. In particular, I've heard of finugreek and red clover. I've heard that finugreek makes you smell a bit like maple syrup, which is interesting to say the least. Is this just 'snake oil' or is there something to it? I realise that if there is any growth at all, that it would be negligible, but at this point, I'd take anything. I just don't want to be played like an idiot for wanting to believe.

Thanks,
Sophie.

ColleenW
08-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Hi Sophie

By in large herbals don't work. Talking to your doctor would be the best route to go if you want to develop breasts.:o

Shikyo
08-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Hi Sophie

By in large herbals don't work. Talking to your doctor would be the best route to go if you want to develop breasts.:o

Can only agree to this. If you want results, hormones are they way to go and those can be obtained from a doctor. Herbs might have an effect on some people, but there is no prove whatsoever that it will work on each person. Using them might be even a bigger waste of money than smoking.

Hephaestus
08-21-2009, 03:15 PM
I can't afford the expenses of all the pre-hormone doctor visits and such, so in the mean time until I can (should be in a couple months :D ), I've been taking the herbs.

Your mileage may vary, but in the month I've been taking them I've gained 3/4" in my bust (which is something like a full A for me) and about the same in my butt (but then I've always had a fem butt)
I've been cutting out caffeine and excess sugar and I don't smoke, etc... also I'm only 23. I'd imagine that before an older person ever saw any results, they'd have sunk more money into herbs than they'd have paid for psychiatrist appointments and prescription hormones.

Midnight Skye
08-21-2009, 05:36 PM
The only herb I know of to have some serious hormonal backing is spearmint tea. Spearmint naturally suppresses androgen production. In men its been recorded to reduce sexual drive, and for hairy woman it's been observed to reduce excess hair issues. It wouldn't cause you to grow breasts, but if taken frequently enough its likely it would reduce body hair grown and possibly some facial hair growth... but for obvious reasons their isn't a huge test group of men drinking spearmint tea ;)

Read more here:
http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/spearmint-tea-a-possible-treatment-for-hairy-women-12643.html

Sophie_Serendipity
08-22-2009, 10:08 AM
thanks everyone for your replies. While cost is part of the issue for me in stopping me from taking hormones, it's not the only thing. First, my health isn't great to start with, and I'm a bit scared of destabilising it even further should I not react well to hormones. Besides, I haven't yet found a trans-friendly doctor. There is a clinic here, but I need to get a referral to get in. Apart from all that, I'm at a critical time in my study, my job is overwhelming me and my personal life is at great risk because of my transition. While I desperately wish I could just put the rest of my life on hold and get on with the business of becoming my 'true' self, like someone else on this site said, it doesn't just happen in a day. My counsellor says (and I'm inclined to agree) that perhaps what is more important for me at the moment is to get a better handle on what is happening for me emotionally so that when it comes time to really get into changing myself physically, I'm better able to cope with it all.

I guess I had hoped that if there was some actual benefit to using herbs, however small that might be, at least I'd feel like I was doing 'something' about it. For me, transition is not just about growing boobs, it's about finally seeing the world through honest eyes.

Teri Jean
08-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Sophie, save your money on the herbs and take care of your health. Herbs may be harmful to healthy individuals but if you are having health issues it probably be best not to experiment. Please see a Dr. first and be safe.

Teri

Poetic Awakening
08-22-2009, 04:14 PM
I've seen a few places where they say herbs work well over long periods of time... in right doses, etc., etc. There's always a salesperson for everything, so I'm sure you can find articles with the pros and the cons, but the truth might be far from either side of the fence. With herbal breast enhancement, or any herbal treatment, the person's body may or may not respond as hoped for. So it's a risk you could waste your money. Probably a big one. There really isn't a lot of respectable and believable info out there for males receiving breast enhancement results like we would want.

xxxxxxx.com is a site I see referenced here and there, so take a look. But the way it's presented, sure seems fishy. I know this doesn't help much, but talk to your doctor like the others have said. He/she might even know of something that is legitimate in herbal treatment, or might know the scams to watch out for. I really don't have any answers. But if you find something out, share it, of course. Knowledge is power. :)

Poetic

Nicki B
08-22-2009, 05:48 PM
First, my health isn't great to start with, and I'm a bit scared of destabilising it even further should I not react well to hormones.

So, instead, you're proposing to take something of non-standard pharmaceutical quality and varying (i.e. unknown) strength? :strugglin

Generally, to get visible effects from herbal compounds, you have to take large quantities - and you'll spend more than on proper hormones.

Why not ask your family doctor for a referral to an endocrinologist and do it properly and safely?

Hemlock, ricin, ergot, digitalis, strychnine, curare, cyanide are all natural herbal products, too. 'Natural' does NOT mean safe..

My counsellor says (and I'm inclined to agree) that perhaps what is more important for me at the moment is to get a better handle on what is happening for me emotionally so that when it comes time to really get into changing myself physically, I'm better able to cope with it all.

That's wise advice.

I guess I had hoped that if there was some actual benefit to using herbs, however small that might be, at least I'd feel like I was doing 'something' about it. For me, transition is not just about growing boobs, it's about finally seeing the world through honest eyes.

Why not look for somewhere to start laser hair removal, if you have dark hair?

You can never start hair clearance early enough. :)

Sophie_Serendipity
08-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Teri, thanks for your concern. :) ...and Nicki, I think that's a good suggestion. It would be great to get rid of some of this yucky hair. Thanks to my genes, I have relatively thick hair on my arms and legs. That's going to be a real task. I figure I can start with my face though. I hate shaving at the best of times. I don't mind waxing for body hair, but it grows back so fast, and boy the cost adds up anyway.

My partner is more ok with hair removal than anything else right now too, so it looks like the best course of action. So this week I might start getting quotes together.

:battingeyelashes:
Sophie

stacie
08-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Lol, someone gained almost an A-cup in the first month from taking herbs. WOW I wished hrt work as fast as "herbs" for growing breast. lmao :lol:

Hephaestus
08-28-2009, 03:41 AM
Lol, someone gained almost an A-cup in the first month from taking herbs. WOW I wished hrt work as fast as "herbs" for growing breast. lmao :lol:
Har har. I did think that was unusual, but I was just throwing that out there, because that was what my measuring tape told me. Those results are highly a-typical. I have no axe to grind, here. I'm actually on the side of hrt hormones, I'm just biding my time with herbs until I can afford to see the psychiatrist I was referred to.

Empress Lainie
08-31-2009, 06:32 PM
I have full B cups and I have only taken herbs except for the last few months rubbing estrace on them.

I plan to buy estrogen from inhouse pharmacy soon, and start on it.

sherri52
08-31-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi Sophie: save your money there is no herb that can give you breasts. The money you save may get you hormones quicker.

Nicole Brown
09-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi Sophie,

I cannot say if herbs will help you develop a more feminine body or not, what I can say is to be careful with them. Herbs, just like many products sold in health food stores should be thought of as unregulated medicines. I have a very close friend who started taking a few products that she purchased from a health food store because the store owner said they were safe and would help her condition.

Three days after starting to take these products, one of them was considered a herb, my friend was rushed to the hospital with breathing difficulties. After several days in intensive care, the doctors identified the cause of the problem. It was a reaction between a medicine which was prescribed by her doctor and the products the were purchased in the health food store.

My friend recovered, it took almost a year for her to fully recover, but she also almost lost her life. Please, Please, consult with a doctor or a reliable pharmacist before beginning to take any uncontrolled product. Make sure you know of any interactions or side effects between medications you are currently taking and what you are planning to take.

My friend has become a strong advocate of licensing health good merchants as they dispense information and products usually based on what they read on the products information sheets and what is on the internet, not actual training.

Nicole