PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm inspired....

Nicole_P
08-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Hey Everyone- I don't mean to keep showing you these letters from kids, and I won't do it any more as I feel others may think I'm tooting my own horn, but it's emails like this that just give me so much confidence in our youth. Truly amazing....

Dear Nicole,

My name is M. C. and I graduated from WLHS this spring. I have not had you as a teacher, but you had my sister K. in your Pre-Calculus class last year and I have seen you around the school. I am writing to express my support for you and your decision to start a new life as "Nicole." I strongly admire your strength, not only for making this life-altering change, but also for returning as a teacher at WL next year. I'm sure you know that you are going to have a rough year, but I know that you will get through it and come out stronger in the end. Keep close to your family, friends, and allies (and don't let the haters get you down!). Know that you are a beacon of hope who can inspire other GLBTQ people to not be afraid of being who they truly are.

Sincerely,

MC

And then he added this at the end-

"Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them."
--Maya Angelou

"Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Each time a person stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, these ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."
--Robert F. Kennedy

TxKimberly
08-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Hey Everyone- I don't mean to keep showing you these letters from kids, and I won't do it any more . . .

Are you freaking crazy??!! We see plenty of sad posts here. Jobs lost, wives lost, fear, depression, anger . . .
These post you have put up are a ray of sunshine, a beacon of acceptance and a promise of an enlightened age approaching. I want you to post every single letter you get from your students - we can all use the light here . . .

pamela_a
08-25-2009, 01:54 PM
I have to agree with Kimberly (did I really say that??? :eek: )

Please keep posting these Nicole. As Kimberly said, there are scores upon scores of sad and disheartening posts here. It's wonderful to be able to read something and know the tears in my eyes are tears of joy.

Thank you for sharing your joy with us

-Pam-

Alana65
08-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Nicole,

I wholeheartedly agree with both Kimberly & Pamela........please keep posting the letters. They're sooo uplifting. :) :hugs:

bethw
08-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Well said kimberly. Nicole you are a ray of hope for us all.
Hugs
Beth

Nicole_P
08-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Ok, Ok I give! :) I know they lift me up tremendously- I am soooo glad they do the same to all of you- I'll just keep them coming from here-

Here's another-

So you were right a few months ago when we were emailing back and
forth, you said that if i kept in touch i would find out what was
going on in your life. Well i haven't exactly kept in touch but i
found out! I am so incredibly proud that you were able to do this.
I've been reading your blog and i'm just totally blown away by how
happy you seem.
As you know, i've always looked up to you because you are such an
amazing teacher and you always cared about your students. But now i
feel like i understand far better than i did when i was just a student
in your classroom. All those inspirational quotes, they weren't only
for us to read :) And you really did care about your students because
(as you mentioned in one of your blog entries), people in high school
are ridiculous and care way too much about drama and how they look in
other people's eyes, but you were someone who didn't judge.
Basically the point of me emailing you is to tell you that I am super
happy for you and that from the moment i found out about your
transformation into Nicole, i have not judged you. I'm honestly
surprised with myself that i've had this reaction to all of this but
i'm very glad that that's how i've taken it. I really enjoy what
you've been writing on your blog by the way, I agree with basically
all of it and i can't wait to hear about how the year goes and
everything.

Please if you need anything, whether its support in any way like a hug
or if you need someone to help you talk to a close-minded idiot, don't
hesitate to ask me. I'm serious. I plan on continuing reading your
blog and i'm sure i will have more comments about everything when i
think of them. Just know that you have another friend who's behind you
in this journey 100%. I'm truly happy for you Nicole. Thank you for
showing the world that it's not always easy but completely worth it to
be true to yourself.

Much love and respect,
A.H.

I just love her! :happy:

Nicole

Midnight Skye
08-25-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm sooooo with the other girls on this Nicole, if they keep sending them... keep posting them. Personally I find things like this rare treats, so sweet it will cure almost any cold.

MichelleP
08-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Nicole,

The letters you've posted have truly, truly made my day.

THANK YOU

Michelle

LisaM
08-25-2009, 08:17 PM
OMG----What wonderful letters. Nicole, you must really be a special person!

Please keep the letters coming because it gives me such hope that eventually we will be more accepted.

Nicole_P
08-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks again everyone for taking the time to post here. You are all wonderful! I will try to keep you updated- Right now I am writing a blog online, and I swear, the entire community where I teach are reading it! (We're talking THOUSANDS here! Huh? So I feel a huge responsibility to educate with words and to be sensitive and careful with what I say.

If you're interested, it's at: http://nicole-kintz.livejournal.com

Even my principal reads it!

I will be sharing ALL my experiences there- feel free to stop by and say hello Nod (I'll also stay tuned here as well~)

Hugs-
Nicole

Oh, and here's a few more~

Hi

This is L.E. from your Geometry class, last year, and her brother, M.E., a senior at WL High School this coming year.
We would just like to say that we support your decision, we think that the words you write in your blog are very powerful and are very good for this community to see.
I myself, M, am gay and I think that this is very important for people to experience. I know it might be odd for me to give you advice, but it will get better. I have had a lot of acquaintances that go to WL High, that have told me they have learned a lot from me and have told me that they needed someone like me to help them in the real world. I know that it might get worse before it gets better but I hope/think everything will turn out okay in the end.
We would appreciate that this message not be put on your blog for everyone to see, that is why we wrote this message. We wish you the best of luck and will be continuing to read the blog. We hope that you will update us in the blog/email us on what other people have been saying to you about all of this.

Best Wishes,

~L and M

Another~

Hey Nicole!
It's K.L. from your Algebra class in the 2003-2004 school year. I was a freshmen at the time and I will always remember you as one of the first teachers I actually learned from. I wanted to drop you a line to confirm a few things, naturally.

First of all, yes, this is going around quite a bit around facebook, particularly among old students of yours. What I have seen/heard so far is a lot of support and I wanted to personally congratulate you for coming out as yourself. It means a lot to the students to see courage and honesty coming from one of their instructors.

Best of luck to you and yours!

-K.L.

And from an old colleague~

Hi Nicole,

Found your live journal. What a journey! I just wanted to send a friendly hello your way and wish you only the best as you start this school year. I'm sure there are going to be many ups and downs and everything in between. Just know you have a hug coming your way when I see you next.

Best wishes,

BJ

These people are ANGELS to me!! :)

Gerard
08-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Awesome stories.

very nice post on the blog, about the goldfish, too.

Kaitlyn Michele
08-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Nicole..

100 million kudos to you...i mean really.

It's very rewarding for you and it's comforting for me to read..

for what it's worth i have personally discussed my transition as opposed to mailing and i've received much the same reaction...altho not from kids in school

i have 2 daughters and i hope kids at school have the same attitude

SherriePall
08-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Nicole -- You keep posting those uplifting emails. Even for those of us who are not actively pursuing a course of transition, those emails and messages serve to bring a little sunshine into our lives when we are down for whatever reason. Thanks for sharing with us and all our best.

Miranda09
08-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Keep tooting Nicole. I love hearing stories like these about our younger generation. :)

Marcia Blue
08-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Nicole, You have really had a positive impact on the students in your life. Great work, and keep it and your chin up.