PDA

View Full Version : Hearing from the parents...

Nicole_P
08-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I have been amazed at the support I am getting from parents in my district. Some don't even know me, and they take the time to write supportive words- I mean, I'm just blown away.. Here's what I mean-

Dear Nicole,

I am writing to you to offer our support during this transitional time
for you.

My daughter had you last year for Geometry. We in this household all
support you and believe you to be very courageous. We hope you find
peace now.

I read your blog and you come across sincere and relieved to finally
be at this place in time. I am sorry you are having pain about your
wife leaving you after so long of a time. I was married for 22 years
and have divorced recently and it takes a long time to peel apart that
many years, if ever. I know as a woman that she will digest this
change somehow, on her own time, and will be back in your life beside
you in some way. We are hoping for many people in this community to
support you as well and we will continue to have positive thoughts
toward that end.

You were a wonderful math teacher and are very supportive of the
students learning, making yourself available before and after school.
You also as you say "get it" that people need to to learn and grow and be more tolerant of difference and thank you for sharing your life with us and teaching us. Sincerely and with an open heart,

S.G. and family

Another:

Dear Nicole,

I just went onto the high school Web site and accidentally saw your
new picture. My husband and I heartily applaud your courage and wish
you every good thing life has to offer.

Thanks for all you do as a teacher.

Sincerely,

J and J Mxxx

Another:

Excellent job on the letter - we just received it via snail mail
because my daughter Maya is scheduled to be in your class this fall.
Seems the phone calls went out all over a few nights ago when some posting was made on facebook/myspace ? We have not yet met, but
the fact that you are staying in WL and making the transition publicly speaks to your strength of character. Please know that you have much support in this community
Wishing you the best -
D.C.

and Another:

Nicole,

My son had you for freshman geometry last year, and I think you are a wonderful math teacher. You were quick to respond to my e-mails, and always available to students for extra help before school. Please know that you've got my support, and I'm sure the support of many many other parents like me. I can't imagine many jobs more difficult than high school teacher as you go through this exciting step in your transition. You are very brave, and it is awesome you are playing such a big part in teaching tolerance, understanding, and love in our community.

And one more:

Wow! Is your mailbox full? I read the online journal and enjoyed it very much, except for the life long pain you have experienced, for that I am sorry. I have talked to my children about this kind of medical condition in the past, and told them about the people I have known with it. Not an easy life. One of the boys who graduated last year is always talking about "getting his penis off so he can be a girl." Won't name names. You know, we all have our secrets and I do believe they hold us back. Even (her daughter) who has managed to get herself into Stanford has some extreme difficulties that she is always trying to hide. She is very worried about going away to school, "what are people going to think or say when I ....." She has her story, I have one. I believe you are handling this well, your wife needs time, maybe a lot of time, lol. I can see from your writing that you are a caring person and I hope that others treat you with the same amount of care. This is your path, and I believe you can walk it successfully. Best Best Wishes, T.G.

ps: Husband thinks you make a nice looking girl....omg!

After I read them, I just sit and bawl my eyes out...it is simply overwhelming..

Hugs-
Nicole

bethw
08-27-2009, 02:18 PM
As i said before Nicole; Tthose are some amazing letters and I'm so happy that you're getting the support that you desrve.
Hugs
Beth

DanaLynn57
08-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Nicole...Your story is so uplifting and encouraging that good things can happen to other girls like me...Im so sorry about your wife leaving you and you guys growing apart but I hope that you can reconcile your differences and at least be friends...She doesnt have to like what you have done but to at least respect you would be a big step forward in a healing process...

I think your letters are so cool...I enjoy reading them so much and as a CD/want to be woman, I know it must make you so happy inside with emotions beyond your wildest dreams...With all the support that is being shared, there is always those who will try and destroy you so promise that you will be strong but not aggressive but hold your ground and stand up for what you beleive in...You are not going to please everyone as you know already...I admire you so much that you are making this change in your life now and I also "take my bra off" to what the Principal has done with sending out the email and the positive responses you have received...

Share more letters when you can...They are inspiring and gives us all hope that one day we can be at the place you are today...

PS...How are your fellow teachers dealing with it....I hope all will be well..

DanaLynn:)

Steph2003
08-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Nicole -

I'm so happy for you that everyone is treating you with the respect you deserve!

Karen564
08-30-2009, 01:41 AM
Congrats Nicole...:)

I think it's so great your receiving all these letters of support...and it clearly shows how much you've been admired by so many as a great person & fantastic educator even before your transition, so lots of good karma is comming back to you for all the good things you have done..

I bet you didn't expect to receive so much positive feedback back when you 1st decided to make the transition public did you??, but only because we hear stories of so many others that get a less than positive result..but when something so good like this does happen, it surly can uplift your spirits & self esteem to the highest extreme..

And sure you'll be receiving many more great letters too..

It surly is very inspirational for all of us taking the path to transition....

:hugs:

robyn1114
08-30-2009, 01:44 AM
Thats wonderful, I'm so happy for you and all the support you're getting from the community.

pamela_a
08-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Nicole, As I read these and the others you have posted I can only think of them as a testament to the wonderful person you are.

Thank you for sharing these with us. I know it gives me hope that some day people will finally learn to accept people for who they are inside.

-Pam-