PDA

View Full Version : Feminine Glasses

Pip
07-17-2005, 07:33 PM
As I try and complete my look I was thinking about one thing I might have to deal with one day.

I wear glasses. They are prisms which means that I cannot replace them with contacts so I am stuck with these forever.

Question is, has anyone gone to the extent of getting a pair of glasses from the female section of the store or do most people just try and get a simple and non-gender shaped pair and wear the same ones all the time.

The ones I have definately shape a mans face, so they might not look good when I finally get my wig. And trying to go without them while dressed is not an option as I have a slight case of double vision. I have 20/20 in both eyes but see two of everything perfectly clear. That and heels would not make a very good combination I would imagine.

Or am I just making too much out of my everlasting facial accessory?

Pip

Deborah757
07-17-2005, 08:08 PM
These are the ones I wear. Kind of a throwback to the 1860s. The style for both men and women is the same. These are actually the lightest and most comfortable pair of glasses I have ever had.
http://www.framesdirect.com/cdimages_lg/marchonm615t.jpg
Brand: Marchon
Model: Marchon 615T
Collection: MARCHONĀ®
Material: Titanium
Manufacturer: Marchon

Nisha
07-17-2005, 08:57 PM
I have gone ahead and tried out several frames from the ladies section at the local Target store. There were a few customers and a couple of counter girls. No one even raised and eyebrow. I settled for one frame and got my prescription lenses fitted. The girl who took my order didn't say a word about the frame being ladies frame. When I took the delivery, it was a different girl. Again, not a word.

May be I was lucky.

- Nisha.

Mandy Salamander
07-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Not to worry Pip,,,most optical stores carry a nice selection of unisex frames,,,I simply picked a nice femme-looking pair that suited my face from this selection,,,Actually look quite a bit like Deborah's,,hmmmm,,,on subsequent trips I've picked similar styles from the womens selection,, and no one has ever commented adversely on them,, probably never even noticed I was wearing women's eyeglasses,, or didn't realize it,, or didn't give a tinker's damn, most likely,,,,so it goes

Jesse69
07-17-2005, 09:51 PM
I wear glasses too. And one day I bought a 2nd pair that my mom liked on me. I personally didn't like the glasses but I bought them anyway. Turns out later that they were a great buy because they pass as womens glasses too!

See the pic. By the way, this is the only "face shot" people will ever get out of me! These are mens glasses!

Mx Justina
07-18-2005, 12:29 AM
many times a simple unisex eyeframe...that is NARROWER width (ex: 46mm as opposed to some obtometrist recommended 49mm)...will work well softening (masculine) facial characteristics... Individual visual trial and error, and insistence required.

Males are "guided" (consciously and subconsciously) towards sex-typed eyewear choices.

Justina

DonnaT
07-18-2005, 08:52 AM
I too wear glasses http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6801

and got a new pair that I thought would fit both modes before going to Vegas. My wife thinks they are too fem for male mode. I told her that the receptionist at Our Eyes thought they looked good on me.

Too Fem?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/DonnaTvTg/dtnew1.jpg

Pip
07-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Not at all Donna. That's exactly what I was talking about. My frames are more squared, which seems to line my face in male mode perfectly. I'm thinking I need something with more curves which would fit my face in either mode....or just have two pair. Haven't figured that out yet.

Pip

BethCD
07-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Hi all, Here are my specs. Kinda gender-neutral. Ignore the cheap wig. Looking for a nice one....one o' these days.
(Obviously I need something better than the Dermab***d that I'm using. ) :eek: :(

Beth :D

tifftg
07-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Like many of the girls here, I went to Target and checked out the unisex section until I found some that I liked either way. No one asked anything or said anything, they are really just trying to make the sale.

:)

obsessedwithpantyhose
07-18-2005, 09:12 PM
my glasses r all splaterd with slag from cutting torches as i was a mechanic,,, so i need new ones and when i do i am getting a femme pair :D

if it wasnt for me always needing to wear glasses i would be blind as i had a hot spot hit both my lenses at diferent times. :eek:

ladyjim
07-18-2005, 09:21 PM
glasses should be the least of your worries ladies, I too have them and cant do without em.I have smaller circular lenses with dark rims that go nicely when Im in heels and black hose.

Deborah757
07-18-2005, 09:23 PM
The fynny thing with my glasses is that took along my 18 year old daughter to help me pick out some frames so I would look "cool". LOL She and the lady at the shop picked these out. I didn't even know they were unisex until after I had bought them.
http://storage.msn.com/x1pk64-9H0OKxSYTSYH5NXdG-Zc5ws50qhFasWwTmVX09dnG2AUfku2XPW9jHMxMNr1x0ZB45Qh pe5WLFQZemdGzvb7B-qIOa5jdHei_KQSVRd9mv15dIP-Yf-xK7zbTdETy9ZrLyCrP8dxbcuRxUrxpw

ladyjim
07-18-2005, 09:25 PM
Those are nearly identical to mine Deborah; the better to see you with darling!~

ronna
07-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Listen, Pretty, these girls know what they're talking about.
I mean, look at them!
My advice is to get yourself a couple of pairs so you can change your look like you change your undies.
Some discount optical shops offer good quality too, you do the shopping!

ladyjim
07-18-2005, 09:30 PM
lotta places if not most offer the second pair free.

Pip
07-18-2005, 09:39 PM
lotta places if not most offer the second pair free.

Not with Prisms they don't. The frames might be free but the lenses for my glasses are expensive. On top of anything else they do it's about 85 bucks for the prisms.

But it is about time for a new pair. I like the stuff I've seen on here and think I could probably pick out a nice pair that would look good either way.

Pip

ladyjim
07-18-2005, 09:41 PM
whatevers comfortable for you is the key-that goes hand in hand with good lookin ones too in most cases.Goes for anything fashionable really.

Mitzi
07-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Pretty...

I know specially ground lenses like prizms cost quite a bit. So I'm not sure you will want to spend a lot for a femme only pair. Unless you're willing to try them en femme before buying, there's no guarantee they'll look good on the femme you.

Consider, how often do you notice what kind of glasses a girl is wearing. Never, unless they are very unusual, or you're obsessed with glasses. So start with a pair for "him" which isn't out and out masculine, that you can be comfortable with en drab. I'll bet no one will will notice what your glasses look like.

I was going to buy a pair of femme glasses recently because the ones I had were no longer in style. After trying on some, both en drab and en femme, I decided it really didn't add all that much to my femme self. Other than in pictures, no one would notice. These are my drab glasses, which at the time of purchase, weren't meant for Mitzi.
http://msmitzi.homestead.com/files/mtzf0002y.JPG

ladyjim
07-18-2005, 11:01 PM
u look lovely in them Mitzi!

Ava Mouse
07-18-2005, 11:40 PM
I think these glasses are feminine... :rolleyes:

ladyjim
07-18-2005, 11:43 PM
even glass pumps...

rachael j.
07-19-2005, 12:11 AM
I've purchaced very feminine glasses on two occasions at optical shops. The pair I wear the most are slightly outsized lenses so that my eyeshadow and mascara can been seen. The frames are narrow/thin and partly cover my eyebrows which helps in how much I have to groom them. The frame and temple arms have red on them and the temple arms are bent. I guess they are out of style, but then I'm not all that trendy. I'm looking to buy some prescription sunglasses soon an they'll be from the woman's section also.
My council would be to just go do it. Isn't the excitement part of the fun? You can do it in drab if you want and I'm willing to bet you'll have no problems, especially if you go at a time the store isn't busy and you take the clerk into your confidance and tell them exactly what you want.
My best wishes on your shopping experiences and I hope you enjoy yourself.
Rachael

ladyjim
07-19-2005, 12:13 AM
all in the eye of the beholder!

Mitzi
07-19-2005, 12:17 AM
Why, thank you, Ladyjim...

Mitzi

ladyjim
07-19-2005, 04:13 AM
Your very welcome , Mitzi-- they are very striking my dear