PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference?

JenniferZ2009
08-30-2009, 11:19 PM
What is the difference of a crossdresser and a transgender person? I identify myself as a crossdresser right now, maybe even genderqueer but looking at TG stuff I think that may be how I want to "be". I feel I am a lesbian female trapped in a mans body. I so want to be a girl but have not made the huge jump that I associate TG's with.

What am I and what is the difference?

Marcia Blue
08-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Jenn,
Everyone has to decide who they are themselves.
I consider myself a CD. I do not want to change my body permanently. I do love to dress and act fem when I can. I am only attracted to GGs.
Transgendered my mean you feel trapped in the wrong body. I need help defining TG any further. I am sure the girls will chime in with more thoughts.

nikkijo
08-30-2009, 11:36 PM
if you feel you are a "female" trapped in a male body, that action is in its simplest form the definition of transgender.... BUT that said... its all alot of grey area...

a true cross dresser only enjoys dresses in oposide gender clothing in definition

heres the real kicker for current classification of transgendered as i intrepet things.... ARE YOU willing to actually go through the process to change your sex via SRS surgery..... if you can answer yes with any sort of confidence then you are transgendered....

im a 28 yr old male and totally agree with you on your female lesbian in male body....

and that feeling is OH SO aparent when i go out with friends... Chari and Echo are a couple i know BOTH FAB.. and are together.... Chari looks moore like a guy than i do both with and without clothes save for the neither region....

she has Pecs, not boobs, has a smaller waist to hip ratio than I do... and is more manly in looks than I am with her facial features...

ive got natural 34A moobs when I am totally inshape. (currently a 36a due to being outof shape) have a 29" waist and 38" hips... and honelstly if the funds were available id actually seriously contemplat acting on my TG urges...

this is what I know on the subject

JenniferZ2009
08-30-2009, 11:40 PM
That sounds like me. I do not want to do anything drastic (at this point) but I am taking a lot of over-the-counter estrogen stuff like soy supplements to try to make me a little more fem. I would love to get rid of my facial hair (I hate shaving) but at times I am such a mountain main type. Very rugged as a guy but fufu as a girl (I am a total diva in front of a camera). I am hoping the female side of me balances out my roughness. I also hate the thing between my legs. I have one of those cruel jokes god plays on people, it is huge and a pain in the ass to tuck. I wish it was just gone. (I am more of catcher than a pitcher anyway if you know what I mean)

jennifer

Holly
08-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Honey, quit stressing over the labels. All that is doing is making you try to figure out how you are supposed to fit into someone else's box. Instead, devote your energies in discovering all there is to know about yourself. Listen to your heart, not someone elses idea of who you should be.

JenniferZ2009
08-30-2009, 11:46 PM
I think that I might contemplate SRS surgery only after I feel out my fem side more. But it does make me think. I would however love to have my jewels removed if not because of the size of everything but I have a kidney problems that make my balls hurt (the nerves are connected). Sorry If TMI.

carhill2mn
08-30-2009, 11:59 PM
It is my understanding that "Transgendered" generally is considered a rather broad "umbrella-like" term.

Transexual is frequently understood to mean that you feel as if you are a woman in a man's body. You may or may not ever live full time as a woman. Many go on hormones, some have laser treatments to remove body/facial hair, some have breast augmentation,
and some do other things to "feminize' themselves. A few will have a SRS operation and accompaning phsycological sessions.

Usually, a crossdresser needs to/wants to/enjoys wearing clothes, shoes, and/or other
items usually associated with the opposite gender. Some will be perfectly happy wearing one or two items of clothing or under-dressing. Others will want to look and act as a woman would including wig, makeup, jewelry, etc. Some are content to "dress" only a few times a year; others need to "dress" daily or nearly so. Some CDs will never leave the house while others will feel a strong urge to go out and interact with the world as a woman would.

As you can probably tell by now, there is no one simple "one size fits all" definition that all will agree with. I think the most important thing is for each person to learn and accept what is comfortable for them.

Good luck on your journey - for that is what you are on.

Maddie22
08-31-2009, 12:30 AM
Carhill2mn is right,
Transgendered or TG is an umberella term that is used for anyone that has delves into gender variances. For instance, all crossdressers are TG, just like Drag Queens, Transexual ect... There are also people who do not identify as being any sex at all, they often call themselves pan-sexual.

sterling12
08-31-2009, 12:58 AM
You can be both! But, you can't be neither. If some tiny spec of your psyche considers itself female in your male body, you qualify as Transgendered. Since that definition includes just about everyone who is CD, (even those who won't admit it,) it's a 99.99999999% probability that you qualify for the moniker.

Since TG is currently being used as an umbrella term, you can easily qualify for the sub-definition of "crossdresser" also. But, just about anyone who falls within "The Spectrum" gets to call themselves TG, even those who would deny The Female within. What it does among other things, is make us into a group. It gives us some common similarities, and hopefully a common goal.

I'm not wild about labels either, and for those who don't like them...don't use them. But for purposes of identification, these two terms seem apropos. When we write something around here, it's almost a certainty that we will have to use these terms and others; if for no other reason than to provide clarity.

peace and Love, Joanie

Andy66
08-31-2009, 02:16 AM
Sounds like you might be in the vast gray area that lies between neat little categories of human beings. I believe if you label yourself, you limit yourself. But then again, people feel more secure and in control when they can name things.

Samantha Kelsey
08-31-2009, 05:17 AM
Well look at it this way,

If all you want to do is wear female clothing and don't bother trying to look like a woman ie no makeup/wig etc then you're simply crossdressing.

If you're trying to pass as a woman ie trying to change the appearance of your gender then you're transgender.

If you want to become a woman then I would say you're transexual.
But hey, I'm no expert this is only my opinion.

I know that I fit into the first two categories. Sometimes I simply like to wear the clothing and aren't the least bit interested in looking female so then I'm crossdressing. Other times I really want to look and act as a woman (but not permenantly, I like being male) and want people to treat me as a woman so then I must be transgendered.

In any case forget the labels cos I'm just ME!.

Frédérique
08-31-2009, 06:23 AM
Definitions from the book “Crossdressing With Dignity” by Peggy J. Rudd:

Crossdresser: A person, male or female, who wears the clothes of the opposite sex.
Transvestite: A person who dresses in the clothing of the opposite sex.
Transsexual: A person who has or is planning sexual reassignment surgery.
Transgenderist: A person who makes a permanent change in gender but does not have sexual reassignment surgery.

I love those first two definitions – you can’t argue with that logic! :doh:

Rachel05
08-31-2009, 07:39 AM
I am absolutely sure in my own mind that I am a cross dresser and oh boy how many years did it take me to even use that word in association with myself, but now I am happy to say it, I am a cross dresser and I love being a cross dresser.

But that is where is stops for me, i am attracted to women (and their clothes), no wishes to change my body and go any further.

Joni Marie Cruz
08-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Labels, schmabels. We all put our panties on the same way. Well, I'll probably get some disagreement even on that, "I sit. Well, I stand. I throw them in the air and jump off the bed."

As several of the other girls have said, the ones I agree with, who are the coolest ones, TG/transgendered is sort of a blanket term for having gender identity issues. Crossdresser, which seems to be the preferred term on this forum sounds derogatory to me and makes me think of Hairy Marys in sequined ballgowns and opera gloves and tiara's on the Jerry Springer Show. Please, no offense meant at all to those who prefer that term. Honest. I guess I better go put on my asbestos undies, though.

Myself, I self identify as TG and also a tgirl, which many consider slangy and derogatory. Whaddevah. And as you also know, I'm sure, there all sorts of terms out there as well, genderbender, genderblender, genderqueer, tranny, transperson, testosterone afflicted, none-of-the-above, on and on. Labels don't really matter for the most part and are just ways for people to cut others out of the herd.

Hugs...Joni Mari

Joni Marie Cruz
08-31-2009, 08:44 AM
Well, Katie, when I come out to someone I usually tell them I'm TG. Then when I get that blank look I say, "Transgendered." Sometimes the light comes on, but if it doesn't, then I ask them if they know what crossdresser means. Nearly everyone knows that one. But I still call myself TG or a tgirl.

To me the only reason to define terms down to the nth degree is if we are having some sort of argument, and I mean argument in a formal way, a logical debate, then we need to know exactly what we're talking about to avoid arguing at cross purposes or finding we actually already agree.

As I'm sure you already know, btw, transvestite is just the Latinized version of crossdresser, it sounds more academic used in a formal paper or a book about people like us. Personally, I don't like either one, since it runs deeper than what clothes you're wearing. But, as I said before, whaddevah.

Hugs...Joni Mari

Roberta Marie
08-31-2009, 09:15 AM
It's obvious, if you look just at the posts so far, that none of these terms have clear definitions even for those within the community. For people outside of the community, they have little or no meaning. That's part of the problem with having so many unconnected fragments within the community.

It is said that in a relatively small, mountainous portion of Afghanistan there are over 100 languages spoken, some just different dialects, but many completely different languages. This is because the mountains are so rugged that the many small villages had been for generations completely isolated from each other. During the war with Russia, militias from one village would need an interpreter to speak with the militia from another village that might be only 20 miles away as the crow flies, but because of the mountains, a couple of days or more travel away. This is similar to the situation within the transgendered community. And until we can solidify ourselves and come together as a single community, we will never speak the same language, we will never understand each other or ourselves, and we will never be understood by those outside of the community.

That being said, "labels" can be a useful tool to help us figure out who we, as individuals, are. But, we have to recognize that they can be limiting, not so much by the box that they form, but more so by the connotations which they carry because of our own individual experiences. It isn't until we start to communicate with others and learn from their experiences that we will be able to use a single language and be able to describe who we are to others.

In short, we cannot tell the original poster whether she is transgendered or a crossdresser because those words have vastly different meaning for each of us. And we can all sit here and type pages upon pages of posts for the next few days, but until we as a community can settle on a common language, these posts will remain basically meaningless, or at least have a different meaning for each of us.

Grace,
Bobbi

joannemarie barker
08-31-2009, 12:56 PM
too much emphasis is put on labels.
we are just people,no more no less.
i certainly don't think who we are attracted to plays any part in our gender.i am attracted to men and women and cds,all i know is though that i don't wanna become a real girl :)

MichelleP
08-31-2009, 01:23 PM
You have to decide for yourself what label you're most comfortable with. I really disike the whole label thing because no one label completely describes all the facets of a person's identity. When I'm asked, I say "I'm transgendered" though I'm close to the transsexual end of the spectrum.

Michelle

jessica millen
08-31-2009, 01:50 PM
i think tgirl is the nicest explanation of what i am. although i tend to tell people crossdresser as they go 'huh?' and i simply dont like the term transvestite. it makes me cringe, for some reason.
jessica :battingeyelashes:

Karen564
08-31-2009, 05:15 PM
I agree, most dont like any particular label put on them.. who really would..

There is no doubt that many have their own definitions of the different terms, and many are correct and some are so so, because there's such a wide spectrum of levels on the TG ladder a particular individual may fall under, everyone is a little different in their own way and how they personally feel, so there's no real right or wrong to most of the labels they may call themselves to some degree..

But someone that calls themselves a Transsexual would mean their in the process of, or has already taken steps to alter/change their birth gender by means of surgery and/or hormones to their desired gender only because they so strongly feel they were born the wrong gender, having (GID) Gender Identity Disorder, and either plan on, or currently living their life as the opposite sex full time..some may want SRS/GRS, some may not..or choose to have it later.

The term "Transgendered" covers a large part of the spectrum, and covers all people that feel they are cross-gendered, which is what most cross-dressers fall under (one that feels part female and part male) and do it as a hobby/part time..but still desire to keep their original birth gender..

So if you enjoy cross dressing part time because you have girly tendencies, you are most likely transgendered..

All of this is strictly my own opinion, so it may differ from what others may think...

For those that dont know, Yes, I am a MTF Transsexual on hormones for 4 years now, so I'm fully developed, living PT now, but striving for FT, and will have GRS as soon as I can afford it...

:hugs:

Fab Karen
08-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Transgender: crossing gender, an umbrella term.
If you say you want to be a girl, remember the Twilight Zone Law: be careful of what you ask for.

Maia Saturn
08-31-2009, 05:35 PM
Definitions from the book “Crossdressing With Dignity” by Peggy J. Rudd:

Crossdresser: A person, male or female, who wears the clothes of the opposite sex.
Transvestite: A person who dresses in the clothing of the opposite sex.
Transsexual: A person who has or is planning sexual reassignment surgery.
Transgenderist: A person who makes a permanent change in gender but does not have sexual reassignment surgery.

I love those first two definitions – you can’t argue with that logic! :doh:
So I'm guessing that the first two definitions, which on the surface look the same, are as: A Crossdresser only has to wear the clothes of the opposite sex, whereas a Transvestite actually wears them in, out, and about. Or...:straightface:

Anyway, I'm relieved I don't fall into any of those categories since I only wear Maia's clothes! Lulz!

Oh...hai Freddy!

Joni Marie Cruz
08-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Well, if you don't mind my saying that seems a tad bossy. Unless you're the Queen of the Lexicons, that is.<g>

Hugs...Joni Mari

You dont like the term transvestite? I don't like the word "bread" but I have to use it because it's damn well what the stuff is called. Live with it.

Maia Saturn
08-31-2009, 06:13 PM
To me the only reason to define terms down to the nth degree is if we are having some sort of argument, and I mean argument in a formal way, a logical debate, then we need to know exactly what we're talking about to avoid arguing at cross purposes or finding we actually already agree.
Isn't that what forums are for luv?

Joni Marie Cruz
08-31-2009, 06:17 PM
Sometimes. Which is why I suppose we're having this "discussion", love. Although it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere.

Hugs...Joni Mari

Lucy Long Legs
08-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Another way of looking at what we do falls between all these labels. It is possible to be a very feminine guy who feels best and looks best in female clothes but has no wish to actually be a woman.
Lucy

Maia Saturn
08-31-2009, 06:30 PM
Another way of looking at what we do falls between all these labels. It is possible to be a very feminine guy who feels best and looks best in female clothes but has no wish to actually be a woman.
Lucy

Or a guy who is NOT very feminine in male mode, who looks just as good as a male, likes being a guy, and as you say, has no real wish to be a woman. A guy who is very comfortable in his/her duality...

suchacutie
08-31-2009, 08:31 PM
This is where I find these labels so very hard.

1) in drab I'm a guy. That one is easy!

2) in drag, I'm not a guy. When I'm dressed I have no desire to have any guy thoughts, guy mannerisms, guy voice, guy looks...none of it. My wife treats me as her girlfriend.

From what I read above, I do crossdress...no doubt. It also appears that I'm transgendered. Other things I've read have indicated that I'm bigendered (wanting both genders but definitely not at the same time). I certainly am not a transsexual in that I don't want to change my sexual anatomy, though some changes that subtley were feminizing would sure be ok (facial, adam's apple).

However, when Tina arrives, she arrives! The male stuff is purged and simply unwanted. The commitment to a feminine existence is so intense at that moment. It's the intensity of that commitment to a feminine existence for a period of time, and the concurrent commitment to a male life for part of the time that is just a little numbing, and a feeling that labels just don't describe it beyond the broad term "transgendered"

tina

docrobbysherry
08-31-2009, 08:44 PM
Here's a chart, for easier understanding!

All Transgendered, men, women, and others?

Super CDs----------The ones in the middle-----------Super TS/TGs

( The ones in the middle r generally considered to be between 5%, and 20% of the entire human population, I believe!):eek:

Karen564
08-31-2009, 10:48 PM
This is where I find these labels so very hard.

1) in drab I'm a guy. That one is easy!

2) in drag, I'm not a guy. When I'm dressed I have no desire to have any guy thoughts, guy mannerisms, guy voice, guy looks...none of it. My wife treats me as her girlfriend.

From what I read above, I do crossdress...no doubt. It also appears that I'm transgendered. Other things I've read have indicated that I'm bigendered (wanting both genders but definitely not at the same time). I certainly am not a transsexual in that I don't want to change my sexual anatomy, though some changes that subtley were feminizing would sure be ok (facial, adam's apple).

However, when Tina arrives, she arrives! The male stuff is purged and simply unwanted. The commitment to a feminine existence is so intense at that moment. It's the intensity of that commitment to a feminine existence for a period of time, and the concurrent commitment to a male life for part of the time that is just a little numbing, and a feeling that labels just don't describe it beyond the broad term "transgendered"

tina

Yes Tina, labels can be very confusing, that's why one shouldn't worry too much about it because it doesnt really matter, just be who you are, that's it...

But given by what you said, I'd say your high on the CD/TG spectrum & possibly borderline TS...
Sometimes as one gets older the TG feelings may become more intense & put you higher on the TG/TS scale..

For myself, I can tell you in complete honesty, (without making a long story or going into detail) starting from the age of 4 or 5 years old, I had always strongly felt I was born in the wrong body/sex.. and struggled with that my entire life, and never wanted my boy parts..because they felt so, so, so wrong too me, but I still tried very hard to be a boy/man to fit in... by the time I hit 43, it became way to overwhelming for me to handle 2 genders anymore, and knew then I lost the battle, the woman inside me was screaming to get out & finally won..So that was when I sought help to align my body/chemistry with my female brain..and now feel much better for it, but still need to finish the job with SRS..so only until then, I will finally feel complete..

I have said before, one can change/alter their body & appearance all they want too, (grow a beard, or build muscles, drink with the guys) but they can never change or run away from whats in their mind & sole...

jessica millen
09-01-2009, 01:26 AM
Jessica, I'm sorry, love, but you're missing the whole point.

Words are what we use to communicate with. If other people go "huh" you're not communicating. You might as well tickle a brick.

You dont like the term transvestite? I don't like the word "bread" but I have to use it because it's damn well what the stuff is called. Live with it.

so, you're telling me everyone in the world automatically knows what tgirl means? i think not. not where i'm from anyway. everyone knows automatically what a crossdresser is, and so to , transvestite. i choose (because i want to) use the term crossdresser, because i dont partiularly like the term transvestite. both may well mean the same, but i choose to use one term over the other. if you dont like the word bread, say loaf instead.
theres always an option...:)
jessica

jessica millen
09-01-2009, 01:27 AM
Well, if you don't mind my saying that seems a tad bossy. Unless you're the Queen of the Lexicons, that is.<g>

Hugs...Joni Mari

thanks joni, i was just trying to say my piece....horses for courses
jessica

Joni Marie Cruz
09-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Hi Katie-

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Hmm, I was going to be bitchy and say thanks for the condescencion, I do know when to use a wrench and when to use a hammer. But I chose not to do that. Whoops, no I didn't, I went ahead and did it anyway.I don't have a pink hammer, but I do have a pink nailbelt.

Yes, I do know the power of words and the choices made in their usage. Perhaps we have a bit of a misunderstanding here. I have no particular interest in changing society's view of TG issues, though I do wish they were different, I am so not political, so my choice of words to describe what I do are personal and idiosyncratic. I prefer the term tgirl to describe myself and TG as a blanket term to describe anyone who feels different from the gender role assigned to them by society when they're born.

Katie, I admire your field of work as a translator, it certainly can't be easy to accurately and precisely convey not only the word-for-word meaning of what someone says but the underlying thoughts and feelings those words carry with them as well. The connotative as well as the denotative. Every word choice, as you know. and have more or less explicitly pointed out, carries a weight of underlying meaning with it.

So, to me, and this is only me speaking personally, the term crossdresser, while in common usage, carries images of Jerry Springer, Benny Hill, Monty Python's Flying Circus, and so on. When I explain to someone who and what I am I tell them first off that I'm TG or transgendered and that I prefer to call myself a tgirl, then I say that they may be more familiar with the term crossdresser. How I call myself is my own choice and not something someone else thrusts on me and which I must somehow get used to.

Hugs...Joni Mari

Joni Marie Cruz
09-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Oh dear, Katie. So now we're throwing race into the mix? I had enjoyed our little back and forth so far, but now I don't feel like I want to know any more about you.

-Joni Mari

Maia Saturn
09-01-2009, 04:53 PM
What did I say?

You said, "Dirty Mexican"... :eek:

jessica millen
09-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I was feeling bossy when I wrote it. But remember, I'm a professional translator, words are my business. And yes, I have written a bilingual lexicon on this topic. (Anybody want a free copy, send me an e-mail.)

I look at it this way:

I'm an engineer, and somebody asks me how to unscrew a rusty bolt. I suggest they use WD40 and a 20mm flat wrench. They reply: "Oooh, I don't like the sound of WD40 - it's too scientific. And somebody once threatened me with a wrench. I think I'll use a pink rubber hammer instead, because it expresses my inner self." And then they wonder why the bolt says "Huh?"

Discussion isn't like poetry. If you're trying to explain yourself to others and change society, then words are your tools. But they only work if they fit the task in hand, which means you have to use words that others understand. And the more fanciful terms we people introduce into the discussion, the harder it gets to find the real solution to our problems - because the toolbox is full of pink rubber hammers.

i'm sorry, katie, but as you so well put it earlier, youre missing the point. i'm a translater, so get used to it? which planet of 'i rule the world' do you come from ? krypton? i actaully only joined this discussion to say my peice, but now its going stellar! engineer? whoopee, well done. take a big slap on the back. translater? so too, again well done. that must make you so much better than others.....
i am an ex bike mechanic, for many years (yes, sorry girls) and now i build and write websites, as i am an eloquent (ahem) speaker of the english language, thank you. i write for 3 different websites, because they cant find people who speake gud engerlissssh, buit there you go. do i feel better than others? hell no. why? because i have this tgirl thing hanging around me that brings me right back down to earth.
which brings me back to my post. dont shoot me for saying i dont want to be classed as a 'transvestite', because i dont want to. simple. i'd much rather be called a tgirl and go out for tea and scones.:)
ladies, have a nice night!
jess :battingeyelashes:

Fab Karen
09-01-2009, 06:05 PM
You said, "Dirty Mexican"... :eek:
No, she did NOT say "dirty Mexican" read it again in context.

Heatherx75
09-01-2009, 06:56 PM
That sounds like me. I do not want to do anything drastic (at this point) but I am taking a lot of over-the-counter estrogen stuff like soy supplements to try to make me a little more fem. I would love to get rid of my facial hair (I hate shaving) but at times I am such a mountain main type. Very rugged as a guy but fufu as a girl (I am a total diva in front of a camera). I am hoping the female side of me balances out my roughness. I also hate the thing between my legs. I have one of those cruel jokes god plays on people, it is huge and a pain in the ass to tuck. I wish it was just gone. (I am more of catcher than a pitcher anyway if you know what I mean)

jennifer

Jennifer, I can be very rugged when I need to, as can a lot of transsexuals. So can a lot of genetic females. It doesn't mean we don't enjoy getting all dolled up and vamping for the camera. You do what you have to do, if you enjoy doing rugged stuff, great, why shouldn't you? It's 2009, honey, we don't all have to be June Cleaver. Perhaps you've bought into some of the wrong ideas on femininity? I don't point this out as a criticism, just something you might want to look at. Your enjoyment of rugged activities does not exclude you from womanhood.

I don't want to diagnose you, but when you say things like, "I hate the thing between my legs... I wish it was just gone," you're sounding alot like a transsexual. Again, this is NOT a diagnosis, but if this is the case, I would recommend that you do two things: Stop mucking about with the soy supplements and get ye to a gender therapist! Not a regular therapist, a gender therapist. You don't want to get stuck with one of these people who's going to sit there and ask you, "So... you're sure you really want to be a girl?" And the soy supplements aren't going to do anything for you but empty your pocketbook.

I wish you the very best and hoipe that this was of some use to you.

Maia Saturn
09-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Suppose a man is fed up with hearing racists calling him a dirty Mexican. What should he do, say "No I'm not Mexican, I'm from across the Rio Grande, so I'm going to call myself a transgrandean. Then perhaps racists won't insult me". Or stand up tall and say "I'm Mexican and proud of it." ?

Hmm, maybe I was wrong.

Nope. It says "Dirty Mexican"...and I was kinda kidding Karen. If you would have read mine IN CONTEXT you would have realized that.

Fab Karen
09-02-2009, 03:05 AM
A shocked face doesn't clearly indicate intent of humor. A smile or grin would have.

Blaire
09-02-2009, 04:34 AM
From what I know, all CD's are TG's, but not so true the other way around.

The bigger question for you is, "Why do you care what letters you go by?" This is such an area of grey, and definitions are changing often enough to keep dictionary printers happy for years to come.

dont shoot me for saying i dont want to be classed as a 'transvestite', because i dont want to. simple. i'd much rather be called a tgirl and go out for tea and scones.:)

I don't think anyone's shooting anything. We have words that describe things. Soemtimes the word is wholly inadequate to personal feeling, or individual placement in the world. Still the word is all we have. I personally think the effort is better put to not caring what your label is.

Still doesn't solve the problem. Too many of us don't like this word or that word, or don't feel like this or that other descriptor is quite right. At the end of the day, does it really matter? A person doesn't have to like societies label any more than you have to answer to, "Hey, You!" It's a word, and the only one Joe Public has to describe you.

For some time this has been bothering me... for a group that needs a certain solidarity to be effective in legislation (to accomplish something that's actually important), there's a lot of diving for individual pigeon-holes here. Sounds odd coming from a group that generally hates the idea of being pigeon-holed. Let's be real - the public isn't like your local barista: odds are they only have one kind of milk in the 'fridge. We'll get more accomplished by living with the label and not caring about what it is than we will by demanding that everyone gets their own tag, and having to fit them all into any bill.

Maia Saturn
09-02-2009, 05:32 AM
A shocked face doesn't clearly indicate intent of humor. A smile or grin would have.Touché luv :hugs:

(Maia backs slowly and carefully out of conversation she had no business in anyway...)

Lady Joan
09-02-2009, 06:00 AM
Wow, I think I am more confussed now, then before. I don't like labels but am guilty of asking the definition of the differences. I have a group of friends whom are all of the above labels. When I first started to hang with them, I got confussed and asked.

I think people like labels to fit you into their circle and feel comfortable with them. I like to just say I am from the human race and so are all the rest of us, but even I am labeled for the comfort for others.

Blaire
09-02-2009, 06:34 AM
Wow, I think I am more confussed now, then before. I don't like labels but am guilty of asking the definition of the differences. I have a group of friends whom are all of the above labels. When I first started to hang with them, I got confussed and asked.

I think people like labels to fit you into their circle and feel comfortable with them. I like to just say I am from the human race and so are all the rest of us, but even I am labeled for the comfort for others.

Sorry, hun... it's a personal issue with me that I had to rant about.

Yes, you are totally right, everyone wants to feel like they belong to something, especially if they're not quite comfortable with themselves yet. Don't worry, it will happen.

Your initial question was the difference between TG and CD. From what I know of and read about (meaning that this is strictly my interpretation, you'll get 5 others from 4 other people), here's your answer:

CDs are a subset of TGs. A TG is a person that has a need/want/desire/compulsion to cross the traditional (as defined by society in general) gender barrier. How that barrier is crossed is very generic and quite irrelevant at the TG level.

A CD is specific in that they cross the barrier by external expression alone - ie, the appearance of the other gender, most generally via the clothing medium (whether publically visible or not). The initial driving force is often sexual in nature, and in time the sexual thrill is replaced with a more emotional appeasment. The barrier can be crossed at will.

A TS is specific in that they feel that they have to cross the barrier, and never come back. This includes body changes, hormonal changes, and ultimately SRS. The driving force is a percieved brain/body mismatch.

The general difference is in the power behind the need to cross the barrier. For those that are 100% TS, they tend to see within themselves the choice between transition or insanity. A 100% CD tends to identify with the choice between expression today or tomorrow. As you can imagine, most people will find themselves between the two extremes, and will move one way or the other (or both several times) during their lifetimes.