PDA

View Full Version : Outing with the Commander

Teri Jean
09-01-2009, 06:39 AM
Last night after calling my Commander (American Legion) I drove round trip 300 miles and sat down with him and his wife to explain what I have been dealing with and prognosis. You see I serve as a District Vice Commander and have 17 Posts that I work with. As an officer of the District we are the first point of contact and sourse of information within the District. Well anyway my concern is first for me and secondly how this is going to affect the District and the veterans I serve.

When I sat down with them I was so churned I didn't know how to start, so much for the two and half hour prep during the drive over. Anyway they thought I have cancer or something else like that and this was a goodby or something. Anyway after some difficulty I got through the disclosure and found some really wonderful friends. They listened carefully and when the tears and broken voice was finished there were hugs from his wife and handshakes and back slapping from him.

We all agreed that this is something we need to think over and approach it carefully as many individuals will not be accepting or confrontational but knowing I have their support was huge. I asked that he sit down with a couple past Commanders and discuss everything carefully and I will honor their decission.

To say yesterday stressful is an understatement as I came out to my supervisor also and got a very supportive response there also. So as I sit here and know that I should be getting ready for work I look forward to not having to change clothes and cleaning off the lipstick before going to work. To be as open as I want and live as I want is paramount to being comfortable. I know we all say thank you for your support but it is not something I take lightly and wish you all the best.:love::hugs:

Thanks for everything. Teri

carrie-ann
09-01-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm a vet too ThankYou for your service. I was a member ot the A.L. for a long time I haven been for a while because of my dressing I also qual for the V.F.W. not a member there at all. for the same reason I wish you well with it. Please keep us posted on it. To me it shouldn't be a problem ever.

deja true
09-01-2009, 07:22 AM
You're a brave and responsible woman, T!

But even if you collectively come to a decision about your responsibilities in the Legion, there's still a place to serve Vets usefully and with honor. Heard about Transgender American Veterans?

http://www.tavausa.org/

Good Luck, dear one.

Hope all turns out the way it should be!

:)

SherriePall
09-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Teri Jean -- Good luck on your journey. Glad to hear that you have received such great responses thus far.

Patricia1
09-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Teri - I thoroughly respect your integrity. You're quite an upstanding citizen, even in heels, I'm sure. Thanks for your service!

joanlynn28
09-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Maybe you should consider becoming a member of TAVA the Transgender American Veterans Association. I heard the head of this organization, Monica Helms speak at the DOR in 2007 in San Diego.

Teri Jean
09-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Thank you for your kind words and also for your service. I have served as a union rep for 20 years and the Legion and VFW for another seven actively and have to say this girl is tired. Don't get me wrong but after three decades of volunteering, sitting on committees, fighting grievances. etc. I want to sit back and be me. Okay, my late wife would say at this moment, "Okay-yah-uhmmmm who are you kidding I give you two months and you will be back in the saddle". And she would be right most of the time but there comes a time where this girl needs to slow down and think of her. I built a new garage and have it set up with a wood shop where if I want to carve until 2am in the middle of the winter here in MN I can and be comfortable. Heated with cable, internet and phone. Or if I want to build another woodstrip canoe I can because it will be large enough to accomodate. And if the desire is to get out of town for some me time I can strap the canoe on the truck and head to the BWCAW for some much needed R&R.

Veterans that are represented in our society are special people and it would be a honor for anyone to repesent this wonderful group. But...............................please not me.

Thank you again for your friendship and kind words. As my wife used to say "Yah whatever, give her a few weeks" LOLWROTF. Love you girls and huggs to you all.

Teri

Rachel E
09-01-2009, 06:38 PM
I am to a Veteran and i have been a VFW member since July of 1953 after i returned from serving with the 7th ID in Korea. I am current a Silver Legacy Life member. I have been dressing since i was about 14 or 15 yrs old and i have just came out since i lost my late wife in 2002. I spent 22.5 years in the military and was able to keep my secret from everybody including my late wife. I got married again in 2006, and my current wife which i told all about me from the begining. Her coment was it was part of me and when took me, she took all of me. I have been a post commander and have had 4 National appointments as well as Department and
District commities. I am currently a VFW service Officer working with all veterans here in my area. I am also a member of the American Legion and a live member in the AmVets orgn. Yes i think it would be great to start a Transgendered Veterans Group. I would me great to really find out just how many there are out there.
Thank You fvor your service and WELCOME HOME......
Racheal E:love:

robyn1114
09-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Yes i think it would be great to start a Transgendered Veterans Group. I would me great to really find out just how many there are out there.
Thank You fvor your service and WELCOME HOME......
Racheal E:love:

Hi Racheal, as Joan mentioned above there's already a group for Transgendered Veterans (TAVA), As a active duty member of the military I'm already a member of said group.

Jessinthesprings
09-11-2009, 05:56 AM
As a active duty member of the military I'm already a member of said group.

I assume that you are not out on duty? Wow cannot imagine the fear and torment you must be dealing with though. For that I salute you.

Teri Jean
09-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Well the mini update is; the Commander of the Post read my letter of diclosure at the Post meeting last night and they could have heard a pin drop from the next county. This morning a couple of friends called to say hi and give their support. One said I need to get down there for steak fry this Saturday and help out in the kitchen. Our group does this every second weekend, anyway I told him if I can wear my mini skirt and heels but I will not do the dishes. LOL After we had our fun with that one he said I need to come down and hang out if nothing more.

Jess, I have been out of the service for 38 yrs but serving in the Legions, VFWs, Marine Corps League or any of the other groups is an honor all veterans and families of veterans can do.

On this day as we remember 9-11 and all those who died remember the veterans who fight to protect us.

Teri

SherriePall
09-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Teri Jean -- Glad to hear that your disclosure is going as well as it is.

sherri52
09-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi Teri like you I got out of the army in 71" . Joined the VFW and a year later went into the air national guard for another 27 years. I never let on that I was a crossdresser. My hats off to you, it's a big step

CharleneT
09-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Teri, you are brave for sure. Glad it seems to be no-biggie to them :thumbsup:

Teri Jean
09-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Well in every crowd there will be a few who do not understand, cannot, or will not and I found two this morning who because of their religious convictions are the above. These are the very ones who were the closest in my activities. Oh well so much for tolerance.

I'm not sure about others but two things one should not do to me is tell me I cannot do something that is not illegal or try to box me in their own idea or pigion hole. I like to use the visual of a cat put in a sack shaken and then released. Well you can guess the outcome.

So the journey started smoothly and now has hit a couple potholes or a****les as they say and we move foreward. Smiling really pisses them off.

Huggs Teri

PS: After I posted the above the mail came and there was a card from one of the Auxillary members (past President). She said in part wished me the best and sent her phone numbers if I wanted to talk. The kicker was she used my fem name and it was all on pink stationary. Sorry, she is married. Anyway the word is out now for sure.