PDA

View Full Version : A big gift in a small box

TxKimberly
09-07-2009, 08:37 AM
So my wifes aunt and uncle came up from San Antonio to spend Saturday with us as sort of a late Birthday party thing for me. Don’t ask me how old I am now because I just don’t feel like getting depressed. He has bought a bass guitar and I am trying to offer a little help in getting him up to speed on it, so we spent much of the day drinking beer, restringing guitars, and making noise. That night after we got my daughter to bed, he went out to their truck and returned with a small box.
“I really hope this isn’t going to offend you!” they both started talking almost at the same time, and then got kind of quiet as I opened it. I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed, but given their attitude and concern, it didn’t take a rocket scientist to have a clue what might be in that box. I opened it to find a cute little skirt and top hidden in there. It was a perfect casual outfit, very much what would be popular with women these days. They started talking over each other, talking about how they had chosen it, and how they had hoped I would get a good laugh out of it.

I wanted to laugh with them, but I just couldn’t. I was so very touched and grateful for everything that this little box represented. Only a month or so ago did I confide in them what I was, and here was proof positive that they were OK with it. Far more important than the outfit itself, the message that little box brought was huge and says so many things:
“It’s OK”
“We are reasonably comfortable with it”
“We are willing to laugh with you”
“We love you.”

How can you possibly say “Thank you” enough for a gift like that? :D

Joselle3
09-07-2009, 08:56 AM
You can't Kim..Love surpasses all!
:love:

SherriePall
09-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Kim -- I remember your telling us about how they kept asking if you dressed and you finally told them you did. Yes, I guess that gift proves outright that they were OK with you and your dressing. I guess that there is no adequate way to say thank you for the outfit because the gift represents more than just the clothes in the box.
The best way to say thank you would be to say it and tell them how much it really means to you above and beyond the material items they gave you.
Kim, thanks for sharing this story. Hope I can finish typing this because my eyes are tearing up again.

Michelle S
09-07-2009, 09:07 AM
That is great. What nice people. Did you try the outfit on for them?

TNRobin
09-07-2009, 09:09 AM
WOW, that's amazing! My family wouldn't be at all accepting except for maybe my sister. As for extended family, my uncle was at one time the sheriff of a county in GA and my cousin is a deputy sherrif there, very country and as I heard him say once, "he just hates those damn queers." I'm sure that crossdressing would be lumped into the same category.

On a funny sidenote, I'm just picturing you in guy mode, playing with guitars, drinking beer, belching and opening a box with a skirt and blouse. It's a very strange picture. :confused2:

Marcia Blue
09-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Aww.... Kimberly, you are so lucky to have such supportive family. I would send them a card to express my thanks if I were you.

April Renee
Great story Kim! I think a good way to thank them is to get yourself all done up and have a few pictures taken in the outfit then pick the best one,frame it and put it in a box for them as a gift.

April

Michelle I
Kim;

What a wonderful heartwarming story, what outstanding in-laws.:D

Jonianne
09-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Kim, your genuineness, kindness, gentle spirit and true manliness in relation to your wife (thier neice) and children makes them very proud to have an inlaw like you!

Joni Marie Cruz
09-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Big hug, Kim. That is so darned sweet. You have the nicest in-laws any tgirl could ask for. Good on 'em.

Hugs...Joni Mari

Nicole Brown
09-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Hi Kim,

I am jealous of you and the relationship you have with your family. They are so understanding and supportive, what a wonderful thing.

Tell me, do you share? Do they ever get up into the Northeast? I need relatives like that...

Nicole

Miranda09
09-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Very cool Kimberly. Your wife's aunt and uncle sound like wonderful people. :)

PretzelGirl
09-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Kim, your genuineness, kindness, gentle spirit and true manliness in relation to your wife (thier neice) and children makes them very proud to have an inlaw like you!

:iagree: Completely that is. Based on your stories Kimberly, you seem to have a way with people that puts them at ease.

As far as sending them a picture or modeling. Well, you would know if that is right in this case. Myself, I would be hesitant since this part of your relationship is just gelling and they may not be ready for that kind of jump. No need for a setback.

Wow, how cool is this!

cosmolovesph
09-07-2009, 10:29 AM
How cool is that? see you do inspire more folks than you think! :love:

TGMarla
09-07-2009, 10:38 AM
That's fabulous! I'm at a loss for words. I couldn't imagine that kind of thing ever happening to me. I'm happy for you, and with you!

Dang! I'm all choked up!

Holly
09-07-2009, 10:55 AM
What a beautiful demonstration of complete and total love. Your aunt and uncle see in you what so many others see, a full and complete person... one who is worthy of being loved and loving back. A person who makes their own lives better merely be being a part of them. Treasure them, as I am sure you do.

"Mary"
09-07-2009, 11:10 AM
That is so great! I'm very happy for you.

Laura Evans
09-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Such acceptance is so rare here it is nice to read about it. I am so happy for you and like some others it brings tears of joy to my eyes. I would send them a thank you card but would add what it has really meant to you beyond the nice outfit.:hugs:

LeslieSD
09-07-2009, 12:00 PM
That's really moving and lovely.

TxKimberly
09-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Thank you folks, it really was very touching and I of course told them this multiple times. They DID ask for pics but here is the bad news - it's too small! :(

Deedee Dupree
09-07-2009, 12:54 PM
I am deeply moved. Wonderful :rose:

S. Lisa Smith
09-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Really wonderful!!

Glenda58
09-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Kim I again read your tales and see how wonderful your life is. I'm very happy for you that you have family and friends accept you for who you are.

Alice B
09-07-2009, 01:48 PM
That is really great and how wonderful that they are so quickly accepting.. I'm slowly in the process of coming out to all my extended family and my wife is getting OK with it. All are all OK with my painted toe nails and today (Labor Day) we will have 22 people over for a pool party. 3-4 that do not know yet, including my mother in law. Should be interesting

Send us a shot of you in your new outfit and have a wonderful Labor Day.

Laciegurl
09-07-2009, 02:03 PM
You have made my mascara run hun. That is a great story. Very touching that they would do that to show that you are accepted and loved. Give them a hug for all of us when you see them next will ya hun.

Sherry-Stephanie
09-07-2009, 02:33 PM
COOL Kim....So pleased for you..glad it worked out for you....

Sandygal
09-07-2009, 02:36 PM
This is one of the most special stories I have read for awhile. What a great family.

Mirani
09-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Kim - as you know, the real gift was acceptance - and that is never too small :)

(Hope they got a gift receipt so you can change it!) ;)

Kim_Bitzflick
09-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Thank you folks, it really was very touching and I of course told them this multiple times. They DID ask for pics but here is the bad news - it's too small! :(

Kimberly,

That's great that they accept you as you are.

As for the size issue, you may just have to go to that store & exchange it (darn the luck you have to go shopping AGAIN).

Kathi Lake
09-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Thank you folks, it really was very touching and I of course told them this multiple times. They DID ask for pics but here is the bad news - it's too small! :(Chances are your wife's aunt bought it. What a compliment to have not only their acceptance, but their belief that you are daintier that you apparently are!

What an awesome gift!

Kathi

Teri Jean
09-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Kim all you can do is cry and hug them and TRY IT ON GIRL! LOL seriously tears are in order.

Huggs to you and your family. Teri

Faith_G
09-07-2009, 05:09 PM
That sounds like the kind of box my sister sent me except it had a pair of size 12 Mary Janes with 4" heels instead. It's amazing how it feels to receive a gift like that, the items in the box are just a tiny part of the gift. :)

TSchapes
09-07-2009, 05:21 PM
I love the fact that they went to all of that trouble of finding something and gift wrapping it. Shows they really care!

Love, Tracy

Lora Olivia
09-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Just 1 word...AWESOME

I am hoping you can exchange it or something...at some point they are going to want to see you in their gift

paulaN
09-07-2009, 07:09 PM
I can not think of a better person in this hole world that deserves a gift of acceptance (and a nice skirt too)as a gift. Kim you are the best. Makes me tear up too.

Suzy Harrison
09-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Dear Kimmie.

Their reaction and kind gift is due to two things:

First of all people are becoming more aware and more understanding of our condition and as such, are starting to understand and sympathize.

But also, your relatives will be swayed by your kind, loving and generous nature - which is something that all of us on this forum are aware of.

:hugs: Suzy

Sally24
09-07-2009, 08:41 PM
You can't chose your relatives, but you can cherish the good ones! I'm so glad that some of the family has reached out to you two. Love that they got you a nice outfit AND want pictures. I suppose you can figure out how to operate a camera enough to snap 1 or 2 pics for them.:devil:

Sally2005
09-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Oh gawd! I can't stand getting birthday gifts for my male self...I think I would die of embarasent if I started getting them for my female self!!! Maybe it is just me, but it -is- the thought that counts...I would rather just get a card, or email from someone close. I fully appreciate your happyness because they really were genuine though.

If the outfit was 15 sizes too small then it says "we accept you, but just don't wear it in front of us because we would die laughing."

If it almost fits, you have to find a way to exchange it. because...

If it fits, they expect you to wear it the next time they visit! :-)

Mary Morgan
09-08-2009, 04:18 AM
So anyway Kim, it was a happy birthday. Happy Birthday!

Erin Li
09-08-2009, 04:33 AM
Hi Kimberly,

I have been contemplating sharing this side of me with my parents. I have been trying for a long time to build up the confidence, and your story is helping me inch my way there. Thanks for sharing!

Erin

Maria in heels
09-08-2009, 04:52 AM
Kimberly,

It is wonderful that your relatives have sat down, and talked amongst themselves and accepted you for who you are. We are all different, and once in a while, it is nice to feel wanted and loved..especially by family. Reading your post has made me feel the same way inside....as both people that make us up, and set our personalities...a person, not two different ones. Some of us may "hide" but our female persona is with us each and everyday, and its a part of us..when family recognizes this, it is wonderful..

Fab Karen
09-08-2009, 05:12 AM
I think hugging them would do.

Suzy Harrison
09-09-2009, 06:17 AM
Anyway............. you're looking real good ........so when I get as old as you, (in ten years time) I hope I still look as good as you do! :heehee:

Chari
09-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Belated "Happy Birthday Wishes Kim"! Another wonderful moment in your life to be accepted for all of who you are! Special folks like your Aunt & Uncle are rare, and I know you cherish them. As for the outfit - perhaps you can exchange it for one that is your size, or visit them wearing a similar outfit. Thanx for sharing.

Rebecca Jayne
09-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Loved your story, how charming!
Everything is bigger in Texas. Love , understanding, support, etc. I'm happy for you

Cathytg
09-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Thank you for sharing that with us. As it so happens, that was the first thing I read today and I might not read anything else. I will just let myself think that only good things happens - if only for just one day.

DaphneGrey
09-09-2009, 08:35 AM
That's great kim thanks for sharing!

JulieC
09-09-2009, 12:13 PM

"Would you go shopping with me to find the right size and see if it looks good on me or not before we buy it?"

:)

Regardless, very touching story. I sooooo wish many other people had similar stories.