PDA

View Full Version : Be a Man or die

Lauren_T
07-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Yet another horrid example of machismo out of control, Leonard Pitts column from the Miami Herald:

In My Opinion

A father's homophobia turned deadly

Leonard Pitts Jr.

Ronnie Paris and I had the same father.

At least, that's the way it felt reading the news reports out of Tampa last week. They told of how Ronnie's dad -- his name is also Ronnie Paris -- used to hit the boy, throw him around, bang him up. According to testimony from the man's wife and sister-in-law, he did this to toughen the boy up, make a man out of him. Paris' fear was that, otherwise, his son would grow up to be ''soft,'' a ``sissy.''

Or gay.

There are only three differences between this little boy's experience and mine.

One, the word ''gay'' wasn't a common synonym for homosexual when I was a child. My dad's word was ''punk,'' which meant the same thing.

Two, in all fairness to my old man, he was nowhere near as harsh to me as Ronnie Paris was to his son. My dad never left me with broken bones, internal bruising or brain swelling.

The third difference is the most important. I am alive. Little Ronnie Paris is not. He died on Jan. 28, 3 years old.

Last week, a Tampa jury found the toddler's 21-year-old father guilty of second-degree manslaughter and aggravated child abuse.

Afterward, Ronald Paris Sr. -- father of the killer, grandfather of the victim -- protested his own blamelessness to a reporter from The Tampa Tribune. ''I raised my son in the right way,'' he said. ``We played football, went fishing, went to wrestling matches, boxing, all that.''

It's one of those ''Lord, give me strength'' quotes, because it manages to be earnest, self-justifying and clueless all at the same time. To put it another way, it's telling what the eldest Ronald Paris doesn't say about raising his boy right.

He doesn't say he ever talked to him. Doesn't say he ever hugged him. Doesn't say he ever taught him.

BEING A MAN

Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with fishing, football and other ''manly'' pursuits.

But while you're tossing the pigskin around, maybe you should explain to a son that the measure of a man is more than the ability to summon or endure violence. And the strength of a man has to include the strength to be tender sometimes, especially when confronted with a tiny life that looks to you for protection and guidance.

Maybe it's not too much to ask also that a father teach his son that ''gay'' is not something you can knock out of a child. Nor should you want to.

A story by way of illustration. I have a younger brother. By the time he was a toddler, my father had given up on me, resigned himself that his bookish and unathletic oldest child was doomed to punkdom.

So Dad decided he would save my brother from that fate. He took him under his wing and taught him every manly heterosexual art and vice he could.

I'll give you one guess which of my father's sons went to the gay pride beach party a few years back.

It's probably a sign of God's mercy that our father did not live long enough to learn.

SAD TWISTS OF FATE

Too bad there wasn't a little mercy for the youngest Ronnie Paris. Too bad his mother -- now facing charges of felony child neglect -- did not call authorities. Too bad the state, which took the child out of the home in 2002, did not leave him with the foster mother who loved him. Too bad he was returned to his birth parents in mid-December.

Too bad he was in a coma by Jan. 22.

It is said the Parises could not wake him that day after he fell asleep on the couch in a neighbor's home. His folks had gone there for Bible study. Apparently, ''Thou shalt not kill'' was not among the verses on the agenda.

Maybe you can tell that I take this one personally. It's hard not to. Ronnie Paris was terrified his child would grow up gay. Now the boy won't grow up at all.

And I'm left to choke on the irony. Paris thought he was going to teach his boy how to be a man when clearly, he didn't know himself.

a "Real Man," huh?
I don't think I wanna be one.

Toyah
07-19-2005, 09:16 AM
That really is a sad story I guess most of us were abused by our parents in some way, it does not matter if it is physical or mental, it could be it makes you stronger or weaker, for me the former I think.

Wendy me
07-19-2005, 09:41 AM
someone like that should be put to death real slow and veary pain full . when my sons were small thay were so small and to think of doing them any harm is just unthinkable..
i razed them to be as good of people that i could even though i probly would not have been in the running for father of the year , i hade my faults , to raze a hand or anything to a child.. just not something that anyone could ever make up a reason for...
if one of my boys had told me he was gay in some streo typed way it might hurt a bit.. but i would have to accpecped it or run the risk of loseing out on a importin part of my life...

we can say a prayer for Little Ronnie Paris.. that god holds him and loves him .......

and also say a prayer for Ronnie Paris that he burns in hell were he belongs.....

Alison Anderson
07-19-2005, 09:59 AM
This kind of story brings me first to tears then fury that anyone could abuse a CHILD! Too much of it goes on that I wish sometimes I could have the powers to murder these *******S myself. Second degree manslaughter, he would probably get some pathetic, unworthy sentence.

Remember American Beauty? it was the homophobic father that turned out gay and ended up killing poor Kevin Spacey.

JoAnnDallas
07-19-2005, 10:14 AM
Worst, are those parents or care givers that shake a child to death. The child is crying and instead of trying to figure out why, they shake the child, hoping that will make them stop. The more they shake the child, the more chance that it causes brain damage. The sad thing is there is NO outward evidence.

When I grew up, it was common for parents and teachers to use the paddle. Today, it's unthinkable. It is only because of education that punishment of that kind is unthinkable. The only way to stop child abuse, is thru education, that absuing a child will not change him/her. All it does is create another abuser when the child grows up, because that was how it was when they grew up.

JoAnn

paulaN
07-19-2005, 10:19 AM
He will probley serve a very short sentence and then be out there making all kinds of more children. that's the sadist part of the hole story. how many of them will not make it? and the ones that do God help them. God help all of them.

Alison Anderson
07-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Education for sure, and when I can see past the rage and have enough understanding, that father was probably treated that way himself.
BUT, I can`t get past the fact that some people are lacking the mental failsafe that tells you can`t hurt children like that.
I`m still boiling :mad: Don`t think I will sleep well tonight.

Tamara Croft
07-19-2005, 10:34 AM
I hope that ******* burns in hell :mad:

Alison Anderson
07-19-2005, 10:41 AM
GOD I`M UPSET!
Couldn`t this topic have been put in a different thread where I may have missed it? :) :(

Tamara Croft
07-19-2005, 10:44 AM
GOD I`M UPSET!
Couldn`t this topic have been put in a different thread where I may have missed it? :) :(
:hugs: yeah I know what you mean :hugs:

Priscilla1018
07-19-2005, 10:56 AM
I truely hope that there is a special place in Hell for all child abusers.My wife is a child abuse social worker,she has done this for 37 years.The stories I have heard about what people do to children,well,most people would not believe.My wife was verbaly abused as a child as was I,I am on antidepressants and tranquilizers because of it,my wife is on anti depressants,we have no children.Usually the person who abuses children was abused as a child.Child abuse is intergenerational.The best way to prevent it is not to have children either by choice,as my wife and I have done,or by sterilization.I am sure there are many who would call me a nazi for mentioning sterilization,but it would stop the cycle of child abuse.

Emily Ann Brown
07-19-2005, 10:57 AM
My daughter married a man who had three kids. His wife had them because he was stupid and trusting. He has 2 of them now thank goodness. The stories they tell on their mom remind me of some of this. I'm usually pretty calm and sweet....but if I suddenly became God.....the earth's population would take a dramatic drop and parents like this would be the first on the milk carton !!!

Emily Ann

Tamara Croft
07-19-2005, 10:58 AM
I don't think you're a nazi for saying that at all Priscilla. I think it should be law, those that abuse children should be prevented from having any more!!!!

JoAnnDallas
07-19-2005, 11:56 AM
I have heard, that even among prison population, that child abusers are hated the most by other prisonners. In some prisons, they have to keep a person sentenced to child abuse seperate from the othe prisonners.

So even the hardest crimminal can not stand child abusers.

MarinaTwelve200
07-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Thats the kind of crap that happens to people who dont know what "Gay" or "Homosexual" means. Dangerous ignorance! Homosexuality means being sexually attracted to persons of the SAME sex--PERIOD---END OF STORY. It has nothing to do with how a person dresses, his atheletic ability (or lack of it) or an interest in intellectual pursuits or the arts.

Lots of these "Macho" dolts have no idea what homosexuality is.---what they know , they learned from another macho dolt in junior high. They think it has something to do with the ellusive quality of "manlyness"---but what is manlyness?---often they end up with a nine year old boy's idea of "a man"

and anyone who dosent conform to that is "Gay", "Sissy" or "Homo" what ever other term they use. Even some educated adults that should know better have these crazy notions about what gay is.---I read recently that an official canceled "turnabout Day" in a highschool (where the kids crossdress for laughs) as he feared that "It promotes homosexuality"---Obviously HE dosent know the determinant of Homosexual behaviour himself.

IMHO, the dangers of such ignorance are many. Some people, usually the "macho dolt" types, are like that because THEY fear (Ironically, usually mistakenly) that they may be secretly "homo" themselves, so they overcompensate to hide it--being afraid it might "show". These are usually the "gay bashers" who beat up on real "gays" and even hetros they percieve as gay.---Causing trouble for themselves and others. Some have even been known to RAPE their victims--another irony---So paranoid about NOT being percieved as gay they are the ones who actually engage in the real homosex.

Then there are Pseudo-Homosexuals---tragically ignorant hetro youngsters that might THINK they are gay because they CD or arent good at sports, etc.--They "give up" and might actually adopt a HS "lifestyle" because thats what they think they are.----Often , on their own, they will "outgrow" it, realizing their error, or commit suicide.These are usually the types that are "CURED" in various programs---they never were really gay 2 begin with.

My point is that a lot of hurt and needless suffering is had over a lack of understanding of what "Gayness" is. Folks need to be educated---I dont mean a formal program, but just day to day.---When you see People who accuse others of being gay (in a negative sense)they should be asked outright "What do YOU think gay means?" IF they can come up with an answer, its likely a halariously wrong one---they should be corected AND laughed at. Hopefully they might not go around bothering people about it again. :lol:

Excuse my rant this is a pet peeve of mine. :D

ladyjim
07-19-2005, 06:04 PM
i worked with small kids for 9 years. castration slowly is too good for these sons of bitches. Im angry with sadness and rage.

Darlene.
07-20-2005, 12:40 AM
Hi all,

While I agree that the feelings expressed here are justified. I believe that were it possible to cure society of this terrible disease. We just might have our selves a perfect world.

Do you really think that is possible? If it is then I would have to leave this world due to the reality that unlike some lucky people, I am not perfect.

By the way I am a victim of Emotional, Physical, and Sexual child abuse, (from my parents) and I no longer hold the views expressed here.

Darlene.

Deborah
07-20-2005, 12:58 AM
Hi all,

While I agree that the feelings expressed here are justified. I believe that were it possible to cure society of this terrible disease. We just might have our selves a perfect world.

Do you really think that is possible? If it is then I would have to leave this world due to the reality that unlike some lucky people, I am not perfect.

By the way I am a victim of Emotional, Physical, and Sexual child abuse, (from my parents) and I no longer hold the views expressed here.

Darlene.

Sorry to hear that Darlene
I think it should be mandatory for males to take a dose of estrogen to chill them out a little.

Darlene.
07-20-2005, 01:10 AM
Sorry to hear that Darlene
I think it should be mandatory for males to take a dose of estrogen to chill them out a little.

Thanks but don’t be too quick with that decision. My mother was the main perpetrator. She is a sadist.

Darlene.