PDA

View Full Version : A question for the New York Guys here...

metalguy639
09-08-2009, 04:15 AM
For those of you who live in New York City, I need to know a couple of things. My sister & I are looking to move to a more "gay friendly" place and we both have always wanted to live in NYC. I have a couple of questions...

1. Where are the mobile home parks? - if we are able to go we will most likely save up our money and buy a mobile home, but I'm having a hard time finding mobile home parks. So far I've found one in Staten Island & one in Amityville, NY. We were really looking to be close into the city as possible so we could enjoy the city. Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. What clubs there are gay clubs?

3. Are there any trans groups?

4. What else would we need to know? Keep in mind we have lived in pretty big cities before (Los Angeles, St. Paul, Denver etc) so things like the city is dangerous blah, blah, blah you can skip. We already realize that NYC can be dangerous.

Thanks
Damien

Kieron Andrew
09-08-2009, 05:13 AM
3. Are there any trans groups?

I may not live in NY but i can tell you that the LGBT center runs ftm groups... http://www.gaycenter.org/ there seems to be a huge ftm community there lots of the boys on youtube are in and around NY it seems

FluffyPersian
09-12-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm a GG, but I can answer question 1 for you: I've never seen a mobile home park anywhere near Manhattan. Real estate near the city is way too expensive for that. Most of the areas near the city are populated by various types of apartment buildings, so if you wanted to live close to Manhattan, that's probably where you'd end up.

As far as 2-3, I'm a GG, but there are TONS of gay clubs, GLBT groups, etc here. They are concentrated in Chelsea and the West Village, but you'll find them all around NYC.

What else to keep in mind? Living in NYC is expensive, and you'll be spending a lot on rent.

Heatherx75
09-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Hi, Metalguy!

I'm not a guy, but I am in New York and I basically am going to second what the other two have said in this thread. If you want to enjoy the city, expect to pay a s***load of rent. Don't know a thing about mobile home parks, I've never even heard of anyone in New York living in one. I will tell you that rents have been going down lately, due to the recession. Cool neighborhoods close to the city are Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Park Slope, and Brooklyn Heights in Brooklyn. In Queens, I understand that Long Island City, Sunnyside, and Jackson Heights are supposed to be pretty nice. Jackson Heights I'm told is actually VERY gay, in fact they have their own LGBT center. I live in Greenpoint, where there are some good deals right now. There are a lot of artistic people living in Greenpoint, Williamsburg, and Long Island City. They tend to get these lofts that are converted from old factories and such. I used to live in one, it wasn't very comfortable, but it was pretty cool.
As for gay clubs, seriously just walk around, there are so many of them it's not even funny. And there's all different kinds, too. I prefer the queer variety, myself. You get all kinds there. I go to a place in the East Village where there's Tgirls, Tboys, gays, lesbians, straights, chasers, you name it. It's a lot of fun.
I go to one of the groups at the gaycenter that Kieron mentioned. The girls have a group and the guys have a group. They meet at the same time. I've met a few of the guys, they were pretty cool. Everyone always goes out for dinner after group, and some people (like me) tend to go to a club afterwards. Let me tell you something, we've got the staff in all the restaurants around there well trained. No one bats an eye at 20 or 30 trannies walking into their joint.
I hope this is helpful to you. If you want, I can message you some more details.:hugs:

Andy66
09-13-2009, 12:55 AM
I've never been to New York, but I'd kinda like to go.

I would think you can Google the answers to your questions in a pinch, although the information might not be as good as someone's first-hand knowledge.

Also, ever hear of the "Pink Pages" or "Gay Yellow Pages" phone directories? Those can contain information that's hard to find anywhere else. Copies can be found in gay bars or other gay-friendly places; or sometimes in unexpected places - I found the one for Las Vegas on a bus. Haha! It might even be available online.

Good luck to you and your sister.

metalguy639
10-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys & gals upon a little more investigation we found that there are mobile home parks just outside the city areas like in Amityville, and various areas close to there. So all is not lost. Actually the little sister is wanting to get into a cooking school in NY but it will be some time before she goes for that, so we are gonna do what we can on finding a place to be.

crazy4cheezeits
10-25-2009, 10:38 PM
You definitely want to look in the Village, Chelsea, and SoHo areas for gay bars. A good place to start is the area right near Stonewall Inn (at Christopher and 7th). Stonewall is a good place, and there are a few other gay bars in that little area.

Joann0830
10-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi, Metalguy!

I'm not a guy, but I am in New York and I basically am going to second what the other two have said in this thread. If you want to enjoy the city, expect to pay a s***load of rent. Don't know a thing about mobile home parks, I've never even heard of anyone in New York living in one. I will tell you that rents have been going down lately, due to the recession. Cool neighborhoods close to the city are Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Park Slope, and Brooklyn Heights in Brooklyn. In Queens, I understand that Long Island City, Sunnyside, and Jackson Heights are supposed to be pretty nice. Jackson Heights I'm told is actually VERY gay, in fact they have their own LGBT center. I live in Greenpoint, where there are some good deals right now. There are a lot of artistic people living in Greenpoint, Williamsburg, and Long Island City. They tend to get these lofts that are converted from old factories and such. I used to live in one, it wasn't very comfortable, but it was pretty cool.
As for gay clubs, seriously just walk around, there are so many of them it's not even funny. And there's all different kinds, too. I prefer the queer variety, myself. You get all kinds there. I go to a place in the East Village where there's Tgirls, Tboys, gays, lesbians, straights, chasers, you name it. It's a lot of fun.
I go to one of the groups at the gaycenter that Kieron mentioned. The girls have a group and the guys have a group. They meet at the same time. I've met a few of the guys, they were pretty cool. Everyone always goes out for dinner after group, and some people (like me) tend to go to a club afterwards. Let me tell you something, we've got the staff in all the restaurants around there well trained. No one bats an eye at 20 or 30 trannies walking into their joint.
I hope this is helpful to you. If you want, I can message you some more details.:hugs:

Just to let you know I lived in many areas of the city I was Born thereand there are no trailer parks unless you move into Orange County where ther are are many of trailer Parks and that is about an hour or more away, Greenpoint is a nice are about 30 minutes by train and 15 minutes by car and the area for gay clubs is great and you have been told about the LGBT and in the city its really a great place to enjoy yourself especially with all the public transportation, you dont really need a car Good luck Joann0830:battingeyelashes::heehee::love:

femboy_01
11-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Hi Metalguy:

Will respond to #1.

I live close to Amityville and the trailer park there is not the nicest area to live in and your still about an hour away from the city on the railroad . Your best bet would be to get an apartment in the borough of Queens, the Astoria section is great (I grew up there) and is only 20 minutes by subway to Manhattan. Any of the other sections such as Sunnyside or Jackson Heights are good alternatives.

Hope this helps

Serena

metalguy639
12-16-2009, 02:43 AM
Sorry for my late response to this thread. We decided to move to Buffalo, NY instead of NY NY. The big apple was just too costly and there was no way we would ever afford it. We are here in Buffalo, NY now and have just bought a house! YAY!