PDA

View Full Version : To transition? Transitioning. Transitioned.

Julie York
07-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Anyone want to add their thought on this. I think there may be more than me who is a little unclear on this term.

What do you understand to be the process of someone who has started "transitioning". What happens and at what point can this be declared to have happened. i.e. "I have started my transition" or "I am starting my transition next month" etc. Where is the 'start' line?

"Transitioned."
What do you understand this term to mean if someone has "transitioned" (past tense).

Therefore, someone who is "transitioning" must be between the start and finish (I presume).

Thank you.

gender_blender
07-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Well, the definition of the word (passage from one form/state/style/place to another) would imply that someone is in the process of being one of two states. Therefore, "Transitioned" can be used after one has fully (or as completely as one can) acheived the final or desired state.

Charlie

Anima
07-19-2005, 01:25 PM
I agree, but knowing the constant neccesity for change to exist in a system, lest it wither, decay or grow bored, I can only imagine that after one has reached this state of "transitioned" that a new cycle of change would be there to further the progress. (Kind of like Johnathon Livingston Seagull)

Julie York
07-19-2005, 01:51 PM
I agree, but knowing the constant neccesity for change to exist in a system, lest it wither, decay or grow bored, I can only imagine that after one has reached this state of "transitioned" that a new cycle of change would be there to further the progress. (Kind of like Johnathon Livingston Seagull)

I was thinking of a less philosophical approach Anima. But nice post. I'm wanting more definite definitions.

I agree gender blender. But where is the start and stop point?

Vivian Best
07-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Julie,

I'll throw in my two cents worth. When I hear or read that someone is transitioning I immediately jump to the process of one changing one's sex from male to female. It applies also for the FtM but that is not what I think about.

I suppose the process could be never ending. The transition starts with a decision to do it, takes hormones, has implants but stops at that point, to me they are transitioning even though the final steps have not occured and may never occur. Also, to me if the final steps do occur the person has transitioned as in past tense the process completed.

Vivian

Natalie x
07-19-2005, 02:38 PM
I think that Vivian has achieved a clear definition for each word.

The confusions arise when, as in every walk of life, someone uses a term without fully understanding it's meaning. A popular misuse in the uk at the moment is the word "literally"; for example "he literally jumped out of his skin" - oh, so now he's walking around with no skin, then? "Literally" means "exactly as written", but many people think it's just a way of emphasizing a point.

Anyway, as Vivian says, "transitioned" should mean that the process of moving to another state has been completed. I think that the originator of the "chatted up" thread where "transitioned" was misused, has explained that she had the wrong understanding of the term, thinking that it meant the same as "full time dressing".

JoAnnDallas
07-19-2005, 03:14 PM
IMHO....there is Transistion and Transistion. It depends on the perception.

In her case, yes she did transistion from all male dress mode to all female dress mode.
No she did not transistion to ALL female mode.

It's all perception.

Julie York
07-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Exactly. This was my point. I thought it was a definite term that was understood to mean specific things in the Tg world. It seems (so far) that it is actually a little fuzzy other than the term in normal English usage, which we all agree on. But in the Tg world, I thought it had a specific meaning.

I thought someone who "started transition" had somehow embarked medically on the course of having a full transition to female.

I understand that they may STOP half way, or have various degrees of transition, but that there was a START point where you could declare specifically that you had taken a particular step. Like you started taking hormones or living full time as a female with a view to complete the process with full surgery etc.

Then "in transition" would be somewhere between, like breast implants, waiting for the surgery etc....but heading for a particular destination.

Then fully transitioned. Complete sex change, with all the surgery etc.

Where's all the Ts people when you need em?

Tristen Cox
07-19-2005, 07:52 PM
TS people hmm.. don't know any of them :rolleyes:

Transitioning 'could' be seen this way. The first year you are living as a woman before having GRS: at the begining of which you begin your transition state. During that time you 'can' call it transitioned or transitioning depending on if you expect to go through with surgery after that year or if you simply wish to live as a woman full time. Transitioned is usually(but not entirely) used to define that you have - A) become the state at which you wanted, or B) you have undergone the final stage or GRS and 'are' now a woman to the best of your ability.