PDA

View Full Version : XX and XY

Vivian Best
07-19-2005, 06:41 PM
As you know when we are conceived by our parents we are given a strand of chromosomes from each them making us unique. Since the mother is XX she can only give an X chromosome. The father can give an X or Y chromosome which determines whether we are male or female. I'm curious if any of you girls have had to have test that required having your chromosomes checked. If so, was the XY normal or was it abnormal in any way that might possibly explain why we need to dress. I've read in the very distant past about some being XXY which would make them both male and female. I suppose there could be XYY but that would still be male. Any thoughts?

Vivian:idea:

StephanieCD
07-19-2005, 06:42 PM
I'm curious how one gets this test done without outing one's self...? Is it a standard test? Or how do you find out?

Vivian Best
07-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Stephanie, I not sure what the test is called, how it is administered or what circumstances that might require the test. Most likely, physicians looking at genetic problems require the test. I would love to be able to get it just out of curiosity to see if mine are normal.

Vivian

JoAnnDallas
07-19-2005, 07:28 PM
Standard test give either XX or XY. Kinda like blodd test. Simple blood test only give the standard results. Detailed blood test give the underlining properties. It takes a more detailed test to determine if a person has the extra chromosome X or Y. These test can take from a few days to weeks, depending on how detailed they are. the more detailed, the longer it takes and more expensive.

you can check with you doctor about the test. Be prepared for sticker shock.

Stephanie Brooks
07-19-2005, 07:52 PM
It's a karyotype test. I looked into it about 10 years ago or so. At that time, the cost was something like $800. Sticker shock indeed!

Priscilla1018
07-19-2005, 08:02 PM
For that price,"Ignorance is Bliss"

Tristen Cox
07-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Yep. Don't they just have like a home pregnancy test or sumting?

Katrina
07-19-2005, 08:11 PM
Yep. Don't they just have like a home pregnancy test or sumting?

I can see it now. Clear Blue Easy home transgendered test. A "+" means you are a CD, a "-" means not a CD. Come on....plus...plus...plus...YES! Phew!

ronna
07-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Everyone that's tested my chromosomes agree that they're XXX

Stephanie Brooks
07-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Yeah, you can buy a LOT of clothes for the price of a piece of info that isn't going to do much for you anyway.