PDA

View Full Version : Where to wear new kilt

jennifer1958
09-11-2009, 08:11 PM
I am a crossdresser; but not real fem. I have a mustashe. I just bought a women's skirt (black watch plaid) that could likely pass as a kilt. I am looking for suggestions of where I could wear the kilt? I do wear panties all the time along with my french pedicure toes. Any suggestions on where I could wear a kilt in public?

Jennifer

alexis GG
09-11-2009, 08:13 PM
LOL my first answer is Scotland, obviously... but I would say that you should wear it where ever you feel most comfortable :)

Mary Morgan
09-11-2009, 08:20 PM
There is a wee bit of difference between a kilt and a kilted skirt, and if you saw them together, you would quickly see the difference. Just put on your skirt and enjoy yourself.

Lainie
09-11-2009, 08:42 PM
I have a mustache, too, and I go out shopping & dining en femme whenever I can; i.e., whenever I can be sure I won't meet anyone I know. Mostly that's traveling to other cities, but often shopping at a local resale boutique.

People don't normally mind, many are amused. You can tell right away who is willing to play, who is just accepting, who is uncomfortable.

I have had a few encounters with local TGs who disapprove of the mustache. They say so, then drop it.

sherri52
09-11-2009, 08:46 PM
If you are in Boston, New York or Chicago you have many Irish American clubs to go to but you still need your crest shoes and socks to match the outfit. An Irishman or a Scottsman would still see the difference.

Frédérique
09-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Any suggestions on where I could wear a kilt in public?

Well, Jennifer, they’re having their annual Scottish Festival in McPherson, KS this week – I’m sure you could walk the streets in your kilt with no problems there. Of course, if it’s a true skirt, all bets are off, but you could probably get by OK. Many American men wear their kilts with the pleats in the front, so that tells you all you need to know. I don’t think most unkilted bystanders would bother differentiating between kilts and skirts -- they’ll assume you’re gay no matter what you’re wearing (sad but true). Now, if you wore the McPherson tartan (the red one), rather than the Black Watch, to the abovementioned festival, I think you would score some points! I saw a man at Wal-Mart a year ago (after this same festival) wearing a kilt, and he wore it well – when I saw him I was so surprised (don’t forget, this is central Kansas) that I almost knocked over a display of Jimmy Dean Pure Pork Sausages. He said “Hello” to me, too, which was nice…:)

trannie T
09-12-2009, 01:09 AM
Shave the moustache, shave the legs put on a bra and a nice top, do your makeup, wear a wig and you can wear your kilt most anywhere and you will look marvelous.

Bluesman
09-12-2009, 01:12 AM
Wear a pair of combat boots, and you can pretty much go anywhere.

sissystephanie
09-12-2009, 01:30 AM
Sadly, I do not own a Kilt! But I do own a lot of skirts, and I wear them everywhere I feel like going! No makeup and no wig, just a semi-bald guy in a skirt! You can do the same, just put it on and go out. It's your life! Oh yes, real Scotsmen do not wear anything under their Kilts!! It is called, "going Commando!"

BTW, Frederique, a true Kilt is pleated all the way around! The good ones have 8 yards of wool fabric in them, and cost a bundle. About $1200.00 for a rather inexpensive one! That is why I don't have one, even though I am of Scotch descent. I just came back from Scotland 2 weeks ago and have a Tartan tie and Cummerbund for my Clan!

JiveTurkeyOnRye
09-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Shave the moustache, shave the legs put on a bra and a nice top, do your makeup, wear a wig and you can wear your kilt most anywhere and you will look marvelous.

Boy am I glad I wasn't posting on this board when I was figuring myself out. I continually get frustrated when people insist that others try to pass fully even when they may not have expressed an interest in doing so at all. Did you ever think that that maybe the original poster doesn't want to shave their mustache?

To Jennifer, as others have said, some purists will probably recognize that it is a skirt and not a kilt, but you can't let that be a detriment to wearing it if you really want to. I don't know where you live or what kind of artsy district the town near you has but those places I have found to be pretty conducive to men wearing skirts. But the most important accessory to wear with a kilt or skirt is confidence, so wherever you choose to wear it, do so proudly!

Frédérique
09-12-2009, 10:55 AM

That’s the spirit – love it!!!:thumbsup::)

BTW, Frederique, a true Kilt is pleated all the way around!

Don’t get me started, Stephanie, I got up on the wrong side of the bed today. I KNOW a kilt is pleated all the way around – I was talking about the flat panel that covers the pleats in front, OK? Surely you’ve seen that on a “modern” kilt? Some stupid men wear it backwards, a real faux pas…

…some purists will probably recognize that it is a skirt and not a kilt, but you can't let that be a detriment to wearing it if you really want to.

Try wearing a women’s kilt that wraps around to the left, and you’ll fit in better around here! Don't take that the wrong way, now... :battingeyelashes:

JiveTurkeyOnRye
09-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Sadly, I do not own a Kilt! But I do own a lot of skirts, and I wear them everywhere I feel like going! No makeup and no wig, just a semi-bald guy in a skirt! You can do the same, just put it on and go out. It's your life! Oh yes, real Scotsmen do not wear anything under their Kilts!! It is called, "going Commando!"

BTW, Frederique, a true Kilt is pleated all the way around! The good ones have 8 yards of wool fabric in them, and cost a bundle. About $1200.00 for a rather inexpensive one! That is why I don't have one, even though I am of Scotch descent. I just came back from Scotland 2 weeks ago and have a Tartan tie and Cummerbund for my Clan!

What is your tartan, Stephanie? You might be able to find a cheaper kilt online, there's a few companies that make fairly inexpensive kilts for the modern man. Www.sportkilt.com is one of them, I got the "Irish National Tartan" from them which I think is one they made up but they do have some authentic tartans on there, and they even have fun options like pockets and belt loops.

meri
09-12-2009, 01:39 PM
I own several kilts and several skirts. If it's plaid and knee length, your average person will not know the difference between a skirt and a kilt.

I wear mine to the grocery store, to class, to the movies. Typically, it's a kilt sandals, polo shirt (not tucked in).

Get a few "looks", but have had several compliments as well.

So, wear it where you want to, no one really cares....

sissystephanie
09-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Don’t get me started, Stephanie, I got up on the wrong side of the bed today. I KNOW a kilt is pleated all the way around – I was talking about the flat panel that covers the pleats in front, OK? Surely you’ve seen that on a “modern” kilt? Some stupid men wear it backwards, a real faux pas…[QUOTE]

Frederique, you are referring to the Sporran! Scottish Gaelic for "purse." That is a pouch so the the kilt wearer has some place to put things, like a flask!! It is meant to be worn just below the waist, but can be placed anywhere that it is comfortable, front or back! Traditionally, it is in front! BTW, it is not modern, but very ancient.

[QUOTE=Alyssa;1867757]What is your tartan, Stephanie? You might be able to find a cheaper kilt online, there's a few companies that make fairly inexpensive kilts for the modern man. Www.sportkilt.com is one of them, I got the "Irish National Tartan" from them which I think is one they made up but they do have some authentic tartans on there, and they even have fun options like pockets and belt loops.

Alyssa, I am of the Shaw Clan! And I prefer the Ancient Tartan. No insult intended, but I do not want to wear a "cheap" kilt! Those produced by "sportkilt.com" are really nothing more than skirts, or maybe skorts! And they don't have my tartan anyway! Not that I have anything against skirts or skorts, I am wearing a skirt as I write this.

But if I am going to wear a kilt, I want it to be the real thing. A real kilt has aproximately 8 yards of wool in it, which is why they are so expensive. Of course, sewing them, with all the pleats there are, is also expensive. I was just recently in Scotland visiting friends. My GG friend took me to a kilt shop, where I earned that a full (8 yard) kilt in my tartan would cost me just under $1500.00. Of course, that is custom made, but even so...............!!! I was told that it would be less expensive to buy the material and have it made here, if I could find a dressmaker who could make it. My GG friend's mother used to make Kilts, but she is now too old and arthritic to do it anymore. My loss, since it probably would be much cheaper.

JiveTurkeyOnRye
09-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Frederique, you are referring to the Sporran! Scottish Gaelic for "purse." That is a pouch so the the kilt wearer has some place to put things, like a flask!! It is meant to be worn just below the waist, but can be placed anywhere that it is comfortable, front or back! Traditionally, it is in front! BTW, it is not modern, but very ancient.

Actually Steph, I think Frederique was referring to the flat fabric apron panel that is often on the front of a kilt, for example:

stevie34
09-12-2009, 03:52 PM
I was brought up in Scotland so can finally can offer some style advice. :daydreaming:

For a kilt to pass as a guy's kilt you would need the length to be just below the knee. The photo Alyssa posted is good apart from the socks. Delve further into google images for some other looks, and try to avoid American pages. Even proper kilts look daft on men without some other accessories.

There are Scots who wear a kilt as day wear (they are considered eccentric), and normally go for long wooley socks, preferably darkish green with some ornamentation - a dirk (small knife) is good if local laws allow, and a dark shirt top or jacket (green tweed is the rage). Sporrans really help pass the non-crossdressing Scot off. Generally it's formal wear these days so goes with an eccentricity cut black jacket with silver buttons.

The womens kilts tend to be above knee length so you'd look silly to a Scot, but if you live anywhere else they won't know the form as we keep it secret. Add some other parts of the look and you'll be away - girls don't wear long wolley green socks with dirks in them, nor have they diluted the male preserve of sporrans.

Kilts are a little formal so match accordingly.

JiveTurkeyOnRye
09-12-2009, 04:16 PM
For a kilt to pass as a guy's kilt you would need the length to be just below the knee. The photo Alyssa posted is good apart from the socks. Delve further into google images for some other looks, and try to avoid American pages. Even proper kilts look daft on men without some other accessories.

Well if there's one thing we Americans are good at it, it's looking daft, so I'm pretty ok with dressing in a casual, non traditional kilt and pairing it with sneakers and a t-shirt.

I do prefer having mine below the knee too though but that' because I have psoriasis on my knees and I prefer not to show them off.

Frédérique
09-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Actually Steph, I think Frederique was referring to the flat fabric apron panel that is often on the front of a kilt…

Thank you, Alyssa, I mean Jive!!! Am I seeing things? This is the third time someone’s name has changed right before my eyes in the past month! :eek:
Anyway, LOVE the kilt…

StephanieC
09-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Actually, I've seen at least two guys wear kilts. These happened to be McClarten but the events were not Scotish or ethnic.

Jenny Brown
09-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Where to wear new kilt?
(A)Biker Bar
(B)Lynyrd Skynyrd concert

trannie T
09-12-2009, 08:24 PM
What do crossdressers in Scotland wear under their kilts?

JiveTurkeyOnRye
09-12-2009, 08:43 PM

I can only tell you what one of them does here when he wears one :devil:

sissystephanie
09-12-2009, 10:05 PM

If they are traditional Crossdressers, probably panties!!:D Maybe one will respond! They do have their own forum!

KandisTX
09-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Kilts are becoming more widely accepted in society these days. Of course most people wearing utilikilts and not actual wool kilts. I personally have a wool kilt in the Royal Stewart Tartan which I wear just about anywhere, including the golf course.

Kandis:love::rose2:

Edwina
09-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Just a thought. Are you entitled to wear the Black Watch tartan?

That is a very proud regiment and I wouldna be in your shoes if ye wasna. :heehee:
Edwina

JiveTurkeyOnRye
09-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I have to imagine that the Black Watch tartan kilt would be mostly like people who have never served in the military wearing camouflage out and about. Might annoy some of those who did serve but in general is just sort of there.

Every kilt site I've been to on either side of the pond lists the black watch tartan as a universal one, IRC.

Amymonroe
10-02-2009, 12:33 PM
i too wear a kilt for the renactment group that i am asociated with and when i am wearing, i'm traditional. :D

nikkijo
10-02-2009, 12:40 PM
I am a crossdresser; but not real fem. I have a mustashe. I just bought a women's skirt (black watch plaid) that could likely pass as a kilt. I am looking for suggestions of where I could wear the kilt? I do wear panties all the time along with my french pedicure toes. Any suggestions on where I could wear a kilt in public?

Jennifer

anywhere.... if it looks like akilt technically weather its fem or not in mfg if it looks and can pass as a kilt its mensware...

nikkijo
10-02-2009, 12:43 PM
and for the record... utilikilts kick ass...

Toni_Lynn
10-02-2009, 05:07 PM
I can only tell you what one of them does here when he wears one :devil:

And I I can tell you what another one of us wears beneath the kilt.

Having worn my kilt on several occasions as casual/ daywear whilst in boymode, I can tell you that no one really gives a hoots-mon!

Actually, the difference between a kilt and skirt is that a kilt is pleated only in back, and has a flat front panel, as a kilt is essentially a wrap.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Ann Thomas
10-02-2009, 09:36 PM

LMAO - I think this is a truly great question! I have a friend who's a professional rubgy player over there, and he's a model too - I've seen pictures of him in kilts. I will just have to ask him! He'll probably get quite the laugh too!

Joni T
10-03-2009, 12:49 AM
This topic has been discussed here before ad nauseum. I wear the kilts AND play the pipes as well. PLEASE do us all a favor.........................if you want to wear a kilt, spend the $$ and get the real deal. Don't try to pawn a skirt off as a kilt. It'll only work for the uninformed. I'd call a guy out in a half a heart-beat if he was trying to wear a skirt for a kilt. And Utilikilts ??!! What the He!! are they? They aren't any kind of a kilt that I know of. BTW--I've been wearing the kilts for over 30 years and nothing underneath is worn. It's all in top-notch working order.

angpai30
10-03-2009, 03:40 AM
I have been wanting to own my own kilt for years, but I have never really found any good sites for well made kilts. I didn't know they ran so high, but I guess that is something that I will have to save for.

Ann Thomas
10-03-2009, 05:15 PM
And Utilikilts ??!! What the He!! are they? They aren't any kind of a kilt that I know of.

Hi Joni,
I'm in the same area as you now, just moved here a couple of weeks ago. We'll have to get in touch. Got lots we could talk about.

I just moved here from Washington State - I was in Prosser for a few years (in the desert out in the eastern part, near Hanford), but before that lived in and around Seattle all my life.

A Utilikilt is a product invented in Seattle. The company is located on the northwest side of town on the way to Ballard - I've driven past it many times because my grandmother lived in Ballard. Utilitkilts are made of very very heavy fabric, like Carharts. They're usually beige in color, and have lots of pockets in them like you'd find on a pair of carpenter's pants. They're almost like a big tool belt. They go down to the knees. They're very popular in and around Seattle of course - I've never one in OC, btw. They started out many years ago, catering to builders, but as they became popular they expanded.

Here's a link to the web site: http://www.utilikilts.com/

So some day Utilikilts might be as popular as espresso bars and Windows, eh?

:)

Hugs,
Ann

Butterfly Bill
10-03-2009, 11:28 PM
[quote=Frédérique;1867657]My GG friend took me to a kilt shop, where I earned that a full (8 yard) kilt in my tartan would cost me just under $1500.00. Of course, that is custom made, but even so...............!!!

Go to a Renaissance fair, and you can find prices from 1 to 3 hundred (yankee dollars)