PDA

View Full Version : Flung open the closet door

JiveTurkeyOnRye
09-12-2009, 09:53 AM
So I just posted pictures of myself crossdressed on my Facebook account that bears my male name and all my friends in male mode are updated on. I guess you could officially say I'm out of the closet.

I'm very glad I did it, though I kind of want to throw up a bit.

Shelly Preston
09-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Very brave decision you have taken

I hope everyone around you appreciates your honesty

Please keep us updated on any reactions :hugs:

TJ Tresa
09-12-2009, 10:15 AM
That takes a lot of courage, I wish you well. Being able to be the real you in front of the world makes life a lot easier.

Diane Elizabeth
09-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Congrats on such a BIG step in life. I wish I was as brave with my life. DyLen

stevie34
09-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Cripes, that is brave. I've not even considered outing myself to any male friends even on a one to one basis. Keep us posted on how they react - I'm sure if they are true friends they'll not bat an eyelid.

JiveTurkeyOnRye
09-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Cripes, that is brave. I've not even considered outing myself to any male friends even on a one to one basis. Keep us posted on how they react - I'm sure if they are true friends they'll not bat an eyelid.

I told one of my male friends recently, at the beginning of June, and his acceptance and basically non-issue reaction to it really helped inspire me to just finally get all the way out. As I already posted on here before, I came out onstage in my comedy act recently so I decided with facebook it was silly to keep hiding it.

sandra-leigh
09-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Brave indeed!

I've just finally created a facebook account under my male name, and am busy making connections to my relatives, friends, schools I attended, the neighbourhood I grew up in... I don't think I could come out to all those people, at least not at this time. Too many people still left to connect with, to get to re-know.

My immediate family has been estranged from most of my relatives over things that happened 35+ years ago, before I was even a teenager; my mother still hurts too much to be the one who can reach out, but because I wasn't involved, I can be that bridge... maybe even a bridge between different subgroups of my relatives, some of whom didn't even stay connected to each other. But I don't think I can form those bridges by being "a weirdo" (as far as those people would perceive.)

Cross-dressing and gender identity questions are parts of me, but I've also had long term issues about being marginalized and "left out" socially. Yes, I rate as quite introverted, but I am not a misanthropist: I want more connections than I have. Most people need a feeling of belonging to something... I know I do. I can see that structuring my life and friendships to define myself solely in terms of belonging to cross-dressing and trans-gender events and causes would be a trap for me.

I "belong" to our local CD social club because people can see that I'm sincere, loyal, and somewhat personable -- but on the other hand, I also fall outside of the "core" of the club because my social life doesn't revolve around Going Out to drag shows, the alternative lifestyle parties.... and because I'm one of the very few people there who is non-polarized transgender (who knows themselves to be a mix of male and female): some of the others are clear in themselves that they are males who like to dress in the clothes, and nearly all of the others are either transitioning or very seriously considering it: I am in the much harder middle ground of being "neither fish nor fowl".

Anyhow, these are some reasons why following your example is not currently right for me. On the other hand, I just found out this morning that a grand high-school reunion (the school itself is now closed) is in the works for the middle of 2010... and although right at the moment it probably won't be Sandra who attends, it probably won't exactly be "boring old ____" either. But that's 9 months off yet, if it is going to happen at all, and I might change my mind by then...

Bethany38
09-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Alyssa, welcome to a new world. I also recently came out and it is so much (for lack of a better word) nicer. I hope you have all the best experiences with this and none of the bad. I myself feel like a million tons has been removed from my consciousness. best wishes, Bethany

Sherry-Stephanie
09-12-2009, 12:56 PM
That's great and if it doesn't go well you can always join the witness protection program get a new identy and start all over again!!!!

Jaylacd
09-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Wow girl congrats that is a huge step. I have told my family and most if not all of my close girlfriends and everytime I'm accepted it makes me feel so much better.

Good luck!

meri
09-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Ryan,
Please don't keep us in suspense, do you have a link to your facebook page?

sherri52
09-12-2009, 07:43 PM
The closet was getting to crowded with you in there anyway

JiveTurkeyOnRye
09-12-2009, 08:53 PM
The closet was getting to crowded with you in there anyway

The joke I do onstage is that I find it weird to talk about coming out of the closet in regards to clothing preferences, unless you're literally asking me to move out of the way so you can see the skirts I'm talking about.