PDA

View Full Version : Music you listen to while CDing

dragdoll
09-12-2009, 11:39 PM
i was just thinking about this again today and how there are certains types of music or bands that feel weird listening to while i'm cding versus when i'm in pure male mode. i think there are bands that male side identifies with to the point that can't listen to while in cd mode, or i just feel uncomfortable and have to put on music that is more "girly" or something i don't normally listen to.

for example, i don't think i could listen to ted nugent while i'm putting on make-up wearing 6-inch heels and pantyhose.

does anyone else here have different music they listen to while dressed?

Cheshire Gummi
09-13-2009, 01:14 AM
It's more about mood than gender.

I am a girl who likes herself some heavy metal. When I'm trying to feel sexy, listening to Corpsegrinder gargle about gouging out someones liver with a ball-peen hammer isn't really conducive, but I don't think that a guy who's trying to feel sexy would put Cannibal Corpse on either. Unless he was very confused about sex.

comeclean
09-13-2009, 03:02 AM
Cool post dragdoll, I'm really glad I found a thread like this!

This is something thats played on my mind ever since I started Cding, as a guy I'm mainly grew up listening to rock and hip hop, these days I'm a bit more mellow, but it doesn't matter what I like none of it ever feels right or good to listen to while I'm dressed, I just don't know why - I guess the style and image I have of the girl I am when dressed wouldn't listen to this sort of music so it feels wrong, it works against the experience I want to feel when I wear girls clothes.

Instead I've found myself listening more to pop music, and then progressed on to dance and techno - it's weird saying that because as a guy I've always despised (and still do) that kind of music with a passion, yet somehow while I'm dressed it suddenly feels incredibly amazing to put on some headphones and take in the sounds of "mindless" (as my boy mode would say) dance music, all the repetitive beats of dance and techno suddenly seem to feel so good and "right" when I'm in girl mode.

It's not something that makes a lot of sense to be but it feels so good I carry on doing it anyway, sometimes it's cheesy stuff like Cascada or maybe dance remixes of Britney Spears and Lady Gaga, but then other days I listen to more generic dance \ clubbing compilation cds (which are really big here in the uk) and just lose myself to the sound - feels so good!

MiraM
09-13-2009, 03:09 AM
When in "boy mode", I listen to a mix of Punk, Classic Rock, Metal, and 80's Pop. When in drag, I listen to the same thing. When I put on a dress, the only thing that I am changing is the clothes, not my interests of who I am.

dragdoll
09-13-2009, 03:26 AM
a lot of the hardcore/punk/metal music i listen to brings me back to a time when i was skating, womanizing, doing guy things i.e. during a time when i was surpressing my cding urges and into more "macho" things. so when listening to music from that era kind of makes me feel like i'm crossing some sort of line, if that makes any sense. of course, there are plenty of more mainstream bands from that era that are more universal that it dosen't matter whether i'm dressed or not when listening to it. and stuff like dance music, which i normally don't listen to, fits my mood a little more when in gurl mode.

a better expanation is in order, i guess. i don't like being reminded of boy stuff when i'm trying to be fem, and music has a bigger impact on my senses than the average person.

JenniferZ2009
09-13-2009, 04:09 AM
For me as I have been transitioning my old interests have been fading. I love old Springsteen but currently I am into industrial metal. The further down the rabit hole I go the more I notice my tastes are changing.

flic
09-13-2009, 05:45 AM
To be honest i don't think it really changes,,,but i'm fairly obsessive about bands,,,so i will listen to whatever i'm currently obsessing over!! Just because my clothes have changed, i haven't, i think i'm the same whatever i wear! So for now it's 'Relativity' by Emarosa, , and Cinematic Sunrise, Broadway and In Faith and Fear,,,but that's not because of what i wear,,,it's just what i am obsessing with! I find it really interesting though that for some of you it does change,,that's so cool!
x flic x

Raine
09-13-2009, 07:16 AM
I listen to the same music while in drag: rock, industrial, and power metal. After all I'm still the same person underneath the clothes.

Angie G
09-13-2009, 08:06 AM
Noting changes for me I like the oldies 50's 60's through today. asc long as it's not heavy metal, punk or most rap. I love oldre Motown.:hugs:
Angie

comeclean
09-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Flic, I'm glad you think it's cool!

It's not something thats easy to explain, I guess for a lot of people they feel lots of different emotions and changes come along once they're dressed, so music is just another part of that.

Faith_G
09-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Like others have said, mood enters into it more than what I'm wearing. I'm just as likely to listen to Frou Frou in my truck at work as I am at home - and that is some "girly" music. :)

What I have noticed is this: In the last couple years I've had the freedom to dress as I please at home. My mood tends more towards calm and relaxed, I don't have the inner tension that I used to have when I was hiding. I don't identify with and enjoy the angry and aggressive music I liked so much when I was younger and more repressed. These days I am much more likely to listen to Alison Krauss than Slayer.

gailprice
09-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Nothing wrong with Ted Nugent. As his saying goes "If its to loud your too old"
Any ways George Benson right now as i am dressed brill....

dragdoll
09-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Nothing wrong with Ted Nugent. As his saying goes "If its to loud your too old"
Any ways George Benson right now as i am dressed brill....

you're confusing gene simmons with ted nugent. and you missed my point completely.

flic
09-13-2009, 02:40 PM
definitely davey,,,i can see that it's linked with music and so for some that will change the mood you're in or affect what you might enjoy listening to. I just think it's fascinating how we are a community,,,but equally amazingly diverse in our individual differences. too cool!
x flic x

Kokoro
09-13-2009, 02:56 PM
My tastes change very little, mostly rock and metal but with plenty of pop mixed in too. All of which I wouldn't consider strange for a girl my age to listen to. Thats probbably why I don't feel the need to change my music taste while dressed.

Sally24
09-13-2009, 04:55 PM
I listen to many different genre when in boy mode. When I'm getting ready for a girl night out I almost always put on Mindi Abair or some other smooth jazz. I also really prefer female vocalists when dressing. As others have mentioned, dance music and electronica are much more appealing in girl mode. I spend a good part of my outings dancing in clubs so I guess that just figures!

Joni Marie Cruz
09-13-2009, 07:47 PM
I like to listen to Namoli Brennet, she's a girl like us and writes and sings beautiful music.

Hugs...Joni Mari

Colleen03
09-14-2009, 12:33 AM
It all dpends on the mood and what I wear, if I slip into one of my swimsuits I'll listen to reggae or just something melloe like that, or if I just dress casually I still prefer the mellow stuff, with some hip hop/dance, mostly Britney Spears or Jessica Simpson, if I play the music of a hottie then it motivates me to dress & look like them. If I dress in biker babe stuff I will listen to hard rock/metal.