PDA

View Full Version : There may be hope, Diversity at work

TSchapes
09-14-2009, 07:19 PM
We had a Diversity Workshop today at work for about an hour. We discussed a case study of a MTF TS transitioning at work (He to She: Eaton Corp. Helped Transgender Employee). (http://www.workforce.com/section/09/feature/25/55/58/255564.html)There were about 20+ people there.

I laid back at first to hear the responses, and the responses were very positive and they seemed to have a grasp of the situation, from bathroom usage to the fact that there is a difference between sexual orientation and gender identity. A number of people had mentioned seeing these topics on 60 minutes and other news programs. So it appears the word is getting out into the general media.

The session was led by our resident TS in the company and I ended coming out to this group as well. Namely because it became obvious that I knew too much about the subject. A number of people thanked me afterwards.

Prior to this meeting I must have told about 50 people at work. And the word never spread like I thought it would. I'm wondering now that I did this, if this is going to be the tipping point.

I did have a chuckle to myself though, the TS that was running the meeting said that, "Being transgender today is very trendy". Wow I thought, she should talk to my wife!

So good news people, slowly but surely things will change.

-Tracy

sherri52
09-14-2009, 07:27 PM
I may have to go back to work. Are there any openings at you place for a retired letter carrier

vikki2020
09-14-2009, 11:26 PM
That is good news,Tracy. They have changed tremendously in the last 20 years, and it can only get better! Maybe that is your "tipping point", or was it a nudge from supportive people?:)

battybattybats
09-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Congrats!!!!!

Good to see such a supportive and positive situation!

Kathi Lake
09-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Trendy, eh? Gee, I've always wanted to be trendy. :straightface:

I'm glad that you're out at work. It sounds nice.

Kathi

docrobbysherry
09-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Trendy, eh? Gee, I've always wanted to be trendy. :straightface:
I'm glad that you're out at work. It sounds nice.
Kathi

We're "trendy"? Oh, that's a GOOD ONE!:laughing::lol2: