PDA

View Full Version : Driving in Heels

Barbara_Jean
09-23-2009, 02:31 PM
HI
How do you drive in High Heels? I will be going out of town in 3 weeks and will dress every night in the hotel. I am thinking of going out while I am there, I am have never gone out dressed and will probably chicken out anyway, but I thought maybe I could drive around and get some confidence. Maybe stop for gas or something. I just bought a pair of heels and will be practicing in them before I go. I got to thinking about driving in them and wonder how to you do it?
Regina Ann

Deborah_UK
09-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Take a pair if flats to drive in, and then change into heels when you leave the car - I have driven in heels before, and have ended up scuffing the back of the heels.

Mirani
09-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Don't do it ... wear flats to drive in and put on your heels when you get out of the car! .......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/3245287/Women-in-high-heels-risk-driving-accidents.html

http://www.ilovesheilas.com/ILS/News/ES_000209.html

DON'T DRIVE IN HEELS . . . . .

JulieC
09-23-2009, 03:15 PM
What Deborah said is true; drive with heels, and you stand a reasonable chance of scuffing them.

But, if you plan on driving in heels anyways, avoid higher heel heights. Driving is not to be toyed with. Either you can drive safely or you can not. If the heel is so high it interferes with the ability to press the brake, clutch, or accelerator paddle, then switch to a lower heel or a pair of flats. Change into the higher heel when you get to where you are going.

I've driven in 3" heels, but wouldn't dare having anything higher.

PheonaP
09-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Without exception all the Ggs I know say the same thing "Don't drive in heels". Some of the GGs I know wear flats, two even wear slippers in the car to drive. Put the heels on when you get there. :hugs:

Carol A
09-23-2009, 03:25 PM
I agree with everyone, I have driven in heels and it is dangerous. Put the flats on hon.:doh:

CharlotteW
09-23-2009, 03:28 PM
+1. Don't drive in heels.

5150 Girl
09-23-2009, 03:30 PM
so you're sayin' I shouldn't be double clutching my big 'ol Ford truck in 4 1/4 in heels?
If you must drive in hels slide the seat back 1 click. Turn your clutch foot clockwise on the peedal as far as your ankle will alow.

JoanAz
09-23-2009, 07:34 PM
I have driven in Heels for a lot of years and I wear 5 in heels.
I have also driven my GM/Bus/Motor Home insaid Heels, It is a 4 speed Manual/Doubel Clutching Beast....
Find an empty Parking lot and practice,,Practice
:)

sherri52
09-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Seems like I just gave that advise to someone the other day. It'll be a good start and driving with heels is no problem

Nicole Brown
09-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Hi Regina,

I know that most of the ladies have suggested against driving in heels, but I have been driving in heels for 3 years and have had no problems at all. I usually wear 3" heels but on occasion will wear heels of up to 4" while driving. My vehicle is a BMW 3 series convertible and the most dangerous part of driving it is getting in and out of it without scuffing the heels of my shoes or knocking my wig off when the top is up. :battingeyelashes:

Once in the vehicle, you will do no harm to your shoes as long as you have a nice thick floor mat. Also, I felt very comfortable driving in heels from the first time I tried it. I just keep my left foot on the foot rest and my right foot fell into a natural driving position even with the heel on.

Nicole

Hope
09-23-2009, 08:43 PM
As others have said - most GGs either slip off a shoe to drive, or wear a different pair of shoes for driving. It's not terribly difficult to slip out of a girl's driving shoe, and into a heel... it's not like you have to lace them up.

The reason of course is not that it is any more dangerous to drive in heels, but rather that you risk scuffing up the heel or your heel...

That being said, I have driven in heels many many times - it is really no different than driving in a loafer... you just have a heel that to a small extent limits where and how you can rest your foot. If you are worried about it, and really really want to drive in heels, and don't mind risking your new pumps, give it a try in an empty parking-lot or deserted back-road the first time. You will figure it out, we all do.

Tanya83
09-23-2009, 08:43 PM
I love driving in heels. Never once did it feel unsafe or did I have issue with brake or gas. I especially love when a high truck or van pulls up next to me and I know they can see my shoes. :D

Kristen Marie
09-23-2009, 08:44 PM
I used to only wear heels driving because it was so sexy and felt sooo good. I remember driving up Las Vegas Boulevard dressed and wearing heels.....I loved it. I would even slip them on sometimes when I was not dressed.

But now I have a nice pair flats I use when I drive. And when I get to my destination, the heels come out and I change. It's much safer and easier!

donnatracey
09-23-2009, 09:05 PM
I love driving in heels. Never once did it feel unsafe or did I have issue with brake or gas. I especially love when a high truck or van pulls up next to me and I know they can see my shoes. :D

They must have good eyes! Your heels/shoes are under the steering wheel/dash - not sure how anyone in another vehicle could see....:eek:

Oh, I vote against not driving in heels - for safety reasons......

Midnight Skye
09-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Wow! Thanks for asking this Regina. I've been curious about this for quite a while and was curious what GG's do and on tips. Thanks for all the tips everyone. Guess I'll need a pair of slippers or something to go with my heels.

Phyliss Hdson
09-23-2009, 11:10 PM
I have been driving in three and four inch heels for some time with no problem. The only thing I had to do was put the seat back a hair further and as one of the other girls said turn your feet a bit. It was not something a thought about when I first started driving but I noticed I sat a little different in the seat and that is wht the differance was, my feet were turn to the right a bit more than normal. One of my cars has a five speed manual and the other is a pick up truck. The only problem I have is getting out without my skirt sliding up as I slip off the truck, or not showing off my panties getting out uf the Toyota, as its so low to the ground.
But I love driving in my heels, just keep you floor mat clean so you cont scratch the back of the heel.

Hugs Phyliss

Adelaide
09-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Driving in heels is part of the overall experience! I've been doing it without any problems. And I just love getting out of the car with heels....It's feminine, classy and very woman like.
Go for it & have fun!
A.

marny
09-23-2009, 11:39 PM
No offense to those who like it but,...Ladies don't drive in heels...They're driven! :tongueout

Persephone
09-24-2009, 12:08 AM
All the posts about "don't drive in heels" also appear on a lot of other sites, and it sounds so easy -- "just slip them off . . . " But what about those zip up boots? You gonna wear a skirt and still manage to gracefully slip them on and off without making a spectacle of yourself?

And how about heels with straps and teeny tiny buckles? Can you do those while sitting in your car?

Can anyone, CD or female, do those while sitting in the driver's seat of a car?

MaryAnn40c
09-24-2009, 12:31 AM
If you ever drive in work boots then driving in highs will be easy.

Loveday
09-24-2009, 12:42 AM
I love driving in heels. I drive about two hundred miles a weekend in them. I have also noticed my legs do not cramp up when I wear them like regular shoes.

Hope
09-24-2009, 06:06 AM
No offense to those who like it but,...Ladies don't drive in heels...They're driven! :tongueout

Touché

Phyliss
09-24-2009, 06:59 AM
After the first time "out" and realizing the inherent problem with heels and driving, I figured out the slipper thing. That is until the day I wore my heels with ankle straps. Tossed 'em in the car and took off, got to where I was going and ... you guessed it. Rather unique situation getting them on.

Lots of practice after that. I can do it reasonably well, .... now.

Sara Jessica
09-24-2009, 07:12 AM
If you insist in driving in heels, then you're obligated to go to your local department of motor vehicles and obtain a "heel" endorsement. It's kind of like where it says on your license that corrective lenses are required.

Of course they'll put you through an on-the-road test so you can prove that you can in fact drive in heels without being a danger to the population. ;)

In all seriousness, contrary to what was said above by someone else, I rarely encounter women who change out of their heels to drive. If you're halfway coordinated and not trying to do so in some crazy heel height that most natal women wouldn't bother with, all should be fine provided you get some practice and truly feel comfortable in doing so.

LisaElizabeth
09-24-2009, 07:16 AM
My wife drives in heels every day!! I have no idea where the statement 'All girls wear flats to drive' came from!! Maybe the under 40 crowd do that simply because they don't wear them often?
I just took my time, readjusted the seat to accomodate the heels and then put the car in gear and go! Auto or 5-speed, doesn't matter. Just take your time and don't drive like a guy!!
Lisa E

Eve_WA
09-24-2009, 07:29 AM
I drive in 5" heels all the time! No problems! I did have to get better floormats, as I was scuffing the heel backs, but now no worries! It just takes a little practice!

Eve

Mirani
09-24-2009, 07:34 AM
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97818

boardpuppy
09-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Like several other girls, without thinking I wore heels and got in the car and drove. There was some difficulty and the heels came off. I'm still practicing but still not great with it. I like the flat thing so much more, of course everything will have to be slip on only.

Hugs,
Alice

Jennifer Marie P.
09-24-2009, 07:43 AM
I drive with high heels everyday and it takes practice lots of practice. Start out by driving in a empty lot first.

Joni Marie Cruz
09-24-2009, 07:44 AM
I drive in heels all the time, too, and have never had a problem. With that said, lots of ggirls I know do carry a pair of slip on flats in the car especially if it's more than a few minutes to get where they're going. I guess it's just whatever your comfortable with.

Frankly I worry more about people who are jabbering or texting on their cellphones while they're driving than about what footwear they have on.

Hugs...Joni Mari

lauraabdl
09-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Since my heel collection has started to grow these days, I have found myself in situations where driving in heels was nessecary as changing out of the heels with the little staps and beckles was greatly difficult, I have managed to learn the little tricks the ladys have commented on. Well I drive a 2500 dodge truck with a clutch and it has been interesting at best to learn, but in the end it is worth it, and not that hard.
Laura Lee

jolanda_trav
09-24-2009, 04:42 PM
My wife drives in heels most of the time (2,5" high) and I do it sometimes. No problem at all I would think.

rosetyler
09-24-2009, 04:48 PM
I have no idea where the statement 'All girls wear flats to drive' came from!! Maybe the under 40 crowd do that simply because they don't wear them often?I have no idea where that statement came either. I'm still in college and none of my friends switch out their heels when driving. I don't think there's any reason to be concerned about driving in heels. I do it quite often.

Tanya83
09-26-2009, 09:12 PM
They must have good eyes! Your heels/shoes are under the steering wheel/dash - not sure how anyone in another vehicle could see....:eek:

Well, I used to drive a van and there was many times I would see the shoes on women in cars next to me. So I just assume the same for anyone else in a van or truck.

donnatracey
09-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Well, I used to drive a van and there was many times I would see the shoes on women in cars next to me. So I just assume the same for anyone else in a van or truck.

OK, but I still find it amazing! I prefer to keep my eyes on the road....though realize I am fighting a losing battle what with cell phones, texting, etc.....:eek:

Mollyanne
09-27-2009, 06:39 AM
How do you drive in heels you ask-----"Carefully, very carefully"

Mollyanne

DianneRoberts
09-27-2009, 08:49 AM
No problem driving in heels, compared to driving with a knee brace ( from hip to ankle ), a broken ankle, broken leg, etc. etc.

Actually driving in heels feels great !

Angie G
09-27-2009, 09:06 AM
I've driven in heels with no problum. Try it in a parking lot.:hugs:
Angie

Janetmichelle
09-27-2009, 09:22 AM
As most girls have said driving in heel is not a great idea. It maybe fun but you are driving so having the proper foot wear is important. heels can reduce your reaction time or cause you to miss the peddles. If you do drive in heels start off some where you have lots of room like an empty parking lots. Safe driving!!

Jan

Raychel
09-27-2009, 09:23 AM
I only had one time that driving in heels was a question, I took the safe road and let my wife drive.

Always be careful,

Michelle_Sullivan
09-27-2009, 09:55 AM
My mother was taught to drive by my Grandfather he had her drive in heels, scandals mules, gum boots, bare feet, everything....

The philosophy was 'you never know what you might be wearing when you *need* to drive.'

One of the first things I learned to do when I came out, was to drive in heels as well as all the other shoe types I had previously learned...

Practice somewhere safe. Learn to do drive in any footwear. Drive safe!

Ann Thomas
09-27-2009, 10:35 AM
I've driven in the highest heels I have, which are only 2 inch, and I hardly noticed the difference.

And of course being a Weird Al fan, as soon as I saw this thread, his song, "Driving a Truck with My High Heels On" has been running nonstop through my head like..... a truck! Lol!

Rachel Morley
09-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Wow, this is almost becoming a contentious issue. :) Well, my 2 cents is that for me, it all depends on the height of the heel. If I'm wearing really high heels like 5" then it's quite difficult for me to drive like that but heels of 3-1/2" I don't have an issue driving ... in the sense that I'm able to work the pedals, and I do have automatic transmission. If I was in the UK where a manual stick shift is more common I probably wouldn't wear even 3-1/2".

So yeah, for me, an automatic transmission and low(ish) heels are fine with me :) Oh and I agree that it's super easy to scuff the back of the heel and damage your shoe the higher the heel when driving so that's almost reason enough right there for not doing it.

Tanya83
09-27-2009, 02:13 PM
I find it easier to drive in heels compared to mens sneakers.

Rachaelb64
09-27-2009, 02:53 PM
I've driven heels, abit of seat adjustment and a little more concentration, but it can be done :)

Barbara_Jean
09-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Well I did it!
I had to work on computers in two different offices 15 miles apart today and since it is Sunday, no one is around I thought I'd get some pratice in wearing heels. I had them on for about 10 hours and I just drove from one office to another wearing them! No Problem. They are 3 inch and it was great driving with them on!! Now I have to change back to my drab shoes and underwear. Oh well....
Regina Ann

Cathytg
09-27-2009, 11:10 PM
I have never felt unsafe driving in heels, but i sure have felt uncomfortable. Your foot has to bend downward in a way that is not normal for you if you have not done it before.

Yes, take a pair of flats.

But don't get a flat.

Maria in heels
09-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Hi Regina...

i have been driving in heels for over 20 years and once you get used to it, there is no problem at all. Just remember that if you are going to drive, take your time, as it is a whole new experience once you start driving in heels. Also, they do make heel savers to stop the scuffing on the right side shoe when you press on the gas pedal, but if you angle your foot slightly, as any woman who wears heels driving does (point your toes to the right slightly) you will not scuff the heels but you WILL wear a hole in the mat from your spike heel...

hope this helps you...

Maria

DaisyG
10-30-2009, 03:29 AM
Hi, Regina

I hope your venture out-of-town turned out well.

Although way too late as an answer to your question, I'd like to relate a recent experiment. I just returned from a trip, driving an SUV between Seattle and Los Angeles. One way I wore 3 inch pumps, then switched to 3-1/4 inch pumps for the return. I stayed off the cruise control. The trip included several side trips off the interstate, on winding and hilly 2-lanes.

After only a few miles getting the hang of it, I had no problem at all driving. Not once did I have the slightest feeling my feet/shoes were not in full control. After a day's travel my feet felt no different than if I'd worn the same heels a full day at home. A soft floor mat protected the heels - - they came thru without damage.

Thus, I'll weigh in with the "no problem" side on this one. Go ahead, wear those heels and enjoy them. :)

Daisy

PetiteTonya
10-30-2009, 05:51 AM
..and I have no problems at all. I also never scuff my shoes either.

andreana
10-30-2009, 06:49 AM
I drive in heels quite often, mind you I am usually driving the truck, I suppose it all depends on how you sit in the vehicle. If it is one that you kind of lay down to drive then yup, you will likely scuff them. Sitting up nice, should be no problem.

TonyaV
10-30-2009, 07:24 AM
I never seem to have a problem. But then, I've been wearing high heels for as long as I can remember. However, sometimes, depends on the shoes, I may move the seat up a little to allow for a better angle and not hit the pedals with the pointed heel.

Practice, practice.

Karen__Starr
10-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Flats are safer overall and more comfortable too. I usually walk to my car in flats anyways so not to mess up my heels.

Wasia
10-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Since the first moment I tried to drive in heels I found out that is much more easy for me to drive in heels than in flats.
The only explanation to this I can come up with is that in flats my foot moves around square angle plus-minus several degrees and in heels it moves around 100 or 110 degrees and at this angle I can much better control the pressure I put on the pedals...
Now, I always have a pair of pumps with 2" heels in the car just for driving.

Laura_Stephens
10-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Just remember, if one tries competitive driving such as SCCA or Auto Cross, heels make it IMPOSSIBLE to use ones right foot for toe/heel driving. The moral of the story is that one should always wear FLAT driving shoes when on the track!

Keep the shiny side up!

Angelofsomekind
10-30-2009, 12:37 PM
I've never had an issue with it. I wear 4" heels and never had a problem. But I'd say if your nervous about it your better off not doing it. Better safe than sorry, just think, if you end up in an accident you might break a heel!

Elizebeth
10-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Never had a problem driving in heels.

Carly D.
10-30-2009, 08:16 PM
My first time driving in heels I didn't even think twice about it.. it was so long ago I can't remember anything about it.. but my latest time driving while wearing heels was just as uneventful as all the others.. I don't know what the fuss is about.. my only advice would be to not over think it.. the same as when you wear the rest of your clothes.. if the heels are pointy (toe and heel for that matter); the toes are longer than your regular mail shoes so realize this and adjust your seat if need be.. the heels can dig into the car mat there under your feet so be careful of that as well.. getting in and out of the car while wearing a dress or skirt is different as well.. I would sit in the seat then turn forward rather than getting in like a male does (my male self does anyway).. open the door the sit down with both legs together then turn and pull the rest of your skirt in (assuming you have a longer than knee length skirt/dress) then make anymore adjustments and then head off.

Kiera79
10-30-2009, 08:23 PM
I've done it also and it feels good to me. As everyone has said just be careful getting in and out as to not scuff the shoe. Have a good driving experience.

sharon2
10-30-2009, 08:57 PM
I love driving in highheels i do it all the time when i am dressed,i drive manual,
and automatic also a small bus,i have never had a problem,just be careful.

TeriAnn
10-30-2009, 10:23 PM
I put my heels on in the morning when I go to work change into my work shoes then when I am going home I take off my work shoes and slip on my 4 inch heels.
Have done this for many years and never had a problem. Learned about the clean floor mat but other than that I will continue to wear heels when I drive.
I even wear them when my wife is in the car with me. Just my:2c:

joyce483
10-30-2009, 10:54 PM
i have a manual transmission and i have not had any trouble driving.

MissyW
10-31-2009, 01:00 AM
Flats or bare foot.

Missy Tanya
10-31-2009, 01:34 AM
Yes I love driving in my heels, in fact here's a picture from tonight. Went to local TG Support groups open house, 20 or so dressed in anything you can imagine.

Sorry girls no paint, just didn't have time today, but there is toe rings on both feet, just can see them.

Tanya

Shananigans
10-31-2009, 02:45 AM
I drive barefooted...:o

shesgotleggs
11-02-2009, 09:14 AM
I love driving in high heels, no problems whatsoever. I have an automatic though...........

Smiles, Tracy

Tiffgurl
11-11-2009, 02:25 AM
I drive in my heels all the time with no issues, and every time I get gas im wearing them, not just when im dressed up, lots a fun!!!

Ugly Michele
11-11-2009, 04:24 AM
Yes I love driving in my heels, in fact here's a picture from tonight. Went to local TG Support groups open house, 20 or so dressed in anything you can imagine.

Sorry girls no paint, just didn't have time today, but there is toe rings on both feet, just can see them.

Tanya

Nice shoes