PDA

View Full Version : Does fashion sense change with age?

Ze
09-25-2009, 02:33 PM
*tips hat* I have a question for you lovely ladies, if you don't mind.

Do you find yourselves altering your style of dress as you get older? Like, that old rule when--once you're over 40--you should add an inch of hem to your skirt for every year you get older? (Yeah, I know that's an outdated "rule," but it was the only one I could think of right now.) Have you gone from tube tops and plunging necklines to more modest dress? Or do you think your style has relatively stayed the same through the years?

For those of you that haven't been dressing long enough to answer this question, do you think you will alter your fashion as you continue dressing? Or do you imagine that you'll be wearing mini-skirts when you're, say, 65?

Hope that didn't come off mean or anything. :) I'm just curious how the MtF mentality works, though I'm sure I'll get some different answers.

Edit: GFs are allowed to give their input, too. I forgot to add that before.

Lorileah
09-25-2009, 02:42 PM
ahem, I'll be wearing a veil to cover my face but these98119 legs are built for shorter skirts

Ze
09-25-2009, 02:44 PM
That they are, Lori. :) But you're, like, 24 anyway. :D

Deborah Jane
09-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Do you find yourselves altering your style of dress as you get older?

Yes, as I get older i'm starting to wear dresses and skirts with a hemline :D

But in all seriousness :Ze:, when I go out now, I'm just as likely to wear a longer skirt or jeans :)

AllieSF
09-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Hi Ze,

Unfortunately, I am a late starter so never was able to take advantage of my youthful features when I had them, smooth skin, non-sagging body areas, non-greying hair, etc.. So when I am out and about today, I am not too overboard, IMHO, for my made up looks and real age. I do dresss many years younger than my age, and, again IMHO, I can make it work to my satsifaction and I think to most that get the chance to interface with me. However, I think that if I had started younger, I would have naturally "matured" somewhat over the "years" in my dressing styles when out. That does not mean that I would dress differently than I do now. Just that I probably would have dressed with a much younger look anbd style when younger. When inside or at private affairs, I would probably dress as I like, and the hell with apropriateness. Thanks for the good question.

Ze
09-25-2009, 03:21 PM
That a good point I didn't think about, Allie, the whole "starting late" thing. Makes a lot of sense. :)

Auntie Debs...:lol:

Shelly Preston
09-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Most peoples fashion sense will change over time

We are all evolving as people and so will our tastes

ClaudiaDawn
09-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Since I don't go out dressed, I really just pick the clothes that I like (and fit). I do think that as I grow older I'll change my choice of clothes to something that will suit me better, then again my taste is more in the conservative side anyway (except for a thing or two but that is only playwear ;) ).

Hugs,

Claudia Dawn

Elsa Larson
09-25-2009, 03:34 PM
I like to think that my fashion choices are appropriate for a conservative professional woman about 10 years younger than my biological age.

No, not the world's oldest profession.

I don't see many 4" heels or miniskirts on 50-ish business women. I prefer a mid-calf skirt and low-heels or flats.

It's interesting looking thru Flickr pages and watching the new girls grow into women and develop fashion sense and style.

Amalia
09-25-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm only 21 at the moment but I can guarantee you, I'll start dressing more conservatively as I get older.

Lorileah
09-25-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm only 21 at the moment but I can guarantee you, I'll start dressing more conservatively as I get older.

why? Ze's point is who made those rules and why were they made and are they really pertinent? At what age exactly does this kick in?

Sheila
09-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the edit allowing us GG's to input :Ze:

I have to admit that my tastes and fashion sense has changed much over the years, but perhaps more importantly my sense of individuality and confidence allows me to wear things I would never have dreamed of wearing when I was much younger ............ in fact even a few years ago.

Because of my size I tended to wear darker colours, rarely wearing low cut tops or bright flamboyant patterns ..... now I wear shorter skirts, brighter colours ............. even taken to wearing a lot of pink this last year or so :eek::D .............. but this is down to my growing confidence in me as me:D

I didn't see above :D

Kate Simmons
09-25-2009, 03:51 PM
I dunno Ze but I've always preferred long(to the ankle) skirts and dresses and boots. It leaves more to the imagination (i.e. what's really under there?) I figure.;):)

PaulaJaneThomas
09-25-2009, 03:51 PM
I've always had compliments on my fashion sense. Some of us seem to be born with it, some attain it with age, and some seem to be permanently clueless.

KayC
09-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Of course fashion changes as we get older...when I was 15 it was the hippy stage, then at 16 I went through the ingenue stage, then I went through a sensual stage and then a business stage. For years as a mother it was just about comfort...jeans and a Tshirt. Back to work, this time in a mill, and it was jeans and shirts...upgraded slightly with a position change...
on and on and so forth.

Our clothing adapts to our environment, current trends, and comfort. It also changes as we learn. Some of the fashion no-nos we might have made when we were younger we would never repeat now. We might learn how to camaflauge those few extra pounds or the natural sagging that comes with age...something we'd never have to consider in our youth. So, yes, it changes, again and again!

Edyta_C
09-25-2009, 04:04 PM
The short skirts are fun but not real practical for being out and about in straight places (like the Mall or the grocery store). So While I have and wear mid thigh lengths, it tens to be around home. I have a few calf length but most skirts and dresses are in knee length area. I don't think this is maturing style, but if I were going to a fetish place or a gay bar I'd probably wear a shorter length.

Just one girls thoughts Edy

ReineD
09-25-2009, 04:18 PM
My fashion sense has changed, but not due to any established shoulds and shouldn'ts. It has more to do with my changing body and dressing to instead enhance the positive (and minimize the negative) rather than, regardless of my body shape, just going for pure style because it looks great on the models. :) Same with makeup and hair.

5150 Girl
09-25-2009, 04:25 PM
I would say I've changed it up a little bit as I gain confidence, and aceptence. But I don't think I've made changes due to my age yet.

Kathi Lake
09-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Hey Ze!

I'm with a few of the others in this post. Since I didn't get to be an 18 year-old girl, by cracky, I'm gonna dress like one now! :)

If you have seen any of my shopping posts, you'll see the clothes I wear run the gamut from "sensible" fashions from Talbots, to cuter younger clothes from White House/Black Market, to very "non 46 year-old male" fashions from Forever 21 and bebe. I have been blessed/cursed with an "odd" body, and as long as God keeps up with this running joke of a genetic freakshow, I'll continue dressing this way, which, really isn't one way at all.

Does that answer the question? Does it even come close to the ball park? What was the question again? :)

Kathi

Frédérique
09-25-2009, 04:27 PM
For those of you that haven't been dressing long enough to answer this question, do you think you will alter your fashion as you continue dressing?

I haven’t altered my fashion much since I started, probably because I began with classic, timeless styles and just kept plowing the same field. Hmmm…I’m feeling a bit agricultural today! :heehee:

I never think too much about skirt or dress length – one quick look in the mirror lets me know if I’m on the right track or not, but, if I err, it’s on the conservative side. I don’t dress younger than my age very often…

Sandra
09-25-2009, 04:30 PM
My fashion sense has changed to suit me. A few years ago I wore a lot of dark colours, now I do go for more brighter colours.

Jilmac
09-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Even though I've been dressing for 49 years, I've only been out for the past two years. I love mini skirts and plunging necklines but only wear them at home because I have legs like Popeye and a modicum of chest hair (that I keep for my SO). When I go out, I usually wear knee length skirts (or slightly above), or jeans and a top that offers me modest coverage. The way I see it, dressing age appropriately helps me blend in and that's the key to passing.

Nicole Brown
09-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi Ze,

Let's see, I turned 63 last week. Now by your rule, if I had to add an inch to the length of my hem for each year over 40, and I was 40 again, I would be wearing a dress that was 23 inches shorter. Now how could I do that, still look like a lady and wear a dress that short?? :battingeyelashes:

Nicole

audreyinalbany
09-25-2009, 05:54 PM
when I asked my therapist what she thought of the look. she said I looked fine, but the short skirt was going to attract attention. If I wanted to pass I'd probably want to try to 'blend in' a bit more. I still love that skirt, but when I go out I tend toward skirts a bit longer or jeans...

sherri52
09-25-2009, 06:00 PM
I tend to be more conservative now, but around the house I still like shorter skirts. I still don't dress my age but I'm not dressing for everyone else, I'm dressing for me (greedy aren't I).

ArleneRaquel
09-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Since i went full time five+ years ago, I dress as a 40ish year old woman would dress,but one who loves to show off her gams. I am almost 62, as a woman I feel that I look a young forty, but then again I may need new eyewear. :yrtw:

Tina B.
09-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Ze, if I followed your rule on adding an inch a year to that hem line, I would be tripping on my train. But yes I have changed style over the years, but then Fashion has had a lot to do with that. I can't even get a decent pair of Bell bottoms anymore!
Tina
P.S. even my drab wardrobe has changed with age and the times, I don't have any Nauru jackets anymore either!

Granny Gray
09-25-2009, 07:30 PM
I don't dress to please other people. If I added an inch for each year +40, I'd be walking on the bottom half of my skirt. At age 79, skirts from knee cap to 2" above the knee are LONG for me. Mid-knee cap ones are really long... those are for Church. Every day around the house or shopping etc. 4" AK or so is about right for me. '

Someone mentioned what to wear when playing golf... well, the game got to costly for me, but I walk vigorously for miles each day as a health maintenance thing. I have several of those neat little "cheer leader" skirts pro-lady golfers use, pro-tennis players too... In colder days, I wear pantyhose with them, but hot weather, nothing but what's there with them.... Works for me... Granny

Sarah5
09-25-2009, 08:02 PM
For me it always has been about Skirts and feminine blouses. I find those are what makes me feel most feminine and pretty and of course my choice in panties, stockings etc will never change either. However, if it makes me feel nice and feminine I tend to be drawn towards it and sytles like it.

Karren H
09-25-2009, 09:11 PM
No!!!!!

Ze
09-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Thank you for all of your replies so far, ladies! :) I appreciate you taking a minute of your time for me.

I know styles in themselves predictably change over time--it almost goes without saying--so my curiosity was more about if you followed along with these trends.

Personally, from the boy side, I predict my style may change a bit as I get older. Or rather, I'll go from dapper three-piece suits to buckling my pants up to my chest. :heehee:

Niya W
09-25-2009, 09:24 PM
I dress for my age, most of the time. I do have club wear outfits

kellycan27
09-25-2009, 09:43 PM
I dress a bit on the conservative side. While I don't much care what others think, I do take pride in my appearance. Demure to very sexy,but always in good taste. Trashy and trampy to me is advertising for unwanted attention. I have seen my share of wild outfits here in Las Vegas.. Short skirts and 5" heels isn't a look that everyone can pull off. Those looks that some people get are more WTF rather than WOW! My friend Samantha sent me this cartoon which I think is spot on in a lot of cases. And in answer to your question ZE....... it should. As we age gravity and such takes over,and what once looked good on us..doesn't anymore.Just my opinion,but if the tops of your stockings show.. your skirt is too short for being out in public,whether you are 16,40,or 60........unless of course,you're working:heehee:

sissystephanie
09-25-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't dress to please other people. If I added an inch for each year +40, I'd be walking on the bottom half of my skirt. At age 79, skirts from knee cap to 2" above the knee are LONG for me. Mid-knee cap ones are really long... those are for Church. Every day around the house or shopping etc. 4" AK or so is about right for me. '

Someone mentioned what to wear when playing golf... well, the game got to costly for me, but I walk vigorously for miles each day as a health maintenance thing. I have several of those neat little "cheer leader" skirts pro-lady golfers use, pro-tennis players too... In colder days, I wear pantyhose with them, but hot weather, nothing but what's there with them.... Works for me... Granny

Nice to know I am not the senior person on this forum at age 77! But Granny and I do agree on skirt lengths! I do have a couple of ankle length skirts. but rarely wear them. I still have nice legs, according to my lady friends, so why not show them off? Since I have been dressing, in some fashion, since the early 40's before most of you were born, fashions have indeed changed! But just because I am older doesn't mean that I have to dress like an older woman, does it? Most of my friends who don't know my true age think I am in my 50's!!:D When I was in my 50's and my wife did my makeup, I passed for a 30 year old.

BTW, Granny, I do not play golf because of a bum shoulder but like you I do walk a lot. I also wear skorts, which is what I think you were describing as "cheer leader" skirts, which have built in shorts or underpants. I have about 15 of them in various colors and materials. They come high on my thighs, and I do also wear pantyhose with them in colder weather!

Angelofsomekind
09-26-2009, 01:50 AM
I think so. I remember when I first went out dressed I was probably 21, wearing a little pleated schoolgirl skirt. I wouldn't wear that out anymore, unless it was part of a costume or something. I don't think I can pull off some of the outfits I wore when I was younger anymore, but I have new outfits that I really like, so it's all good! But that being said, I don't think I will ever give up my corsets and heels.

baby beluga
09-26-2009, 02:26 AM
moot question because the overwhelming majority of crossdressers have no fashion sense to begin with

Holly
09-26-2009, 03:49 AM
Sure I've changed fashions. At one time it was leather skirts. Now, depending on the situation, I may wear jeans and a top, a business suit (skirt or pants), a dress somewhere between just above the knee to mid-calf, or a gown if going to a formal affair or the theater. I'm not a twenty-something. I have no issue at all being a mature, stylish woman, dressed appropriately for the activity I am engaged in.

tricia_uktv
09-26-2009, 04:38 AM
My style has changed as I have developed but I still love wearing short skirts. I dress in what I want to but now I'm much more conservative during the day.

Fab Karen
09-26-2009, 04:39 AM
My dresses & skirts when new were over the knee or to the knee. But as confidence grew I realized it would be a sin to hide these legs when I'm told people enjoy them.:)

And remember girls: Eartha Kitt was knocking them dead to her dying day.

Kathi Lake
09-26-2009, 05:42 AM
Personally, from the boy side, I predict my style may change a bit as I get older. Or rather, I'll go from dapper three-piece suits to buckling my pants up to my chest. :heehee:Oh no you don't! Not so fast! Before you earn the privilege of buckling your trousers around your chest, you first have to wear the One Piece Retirement Suit (the crest on the pocket is not optional). Then, and only then can you hike your pants up high enough to separate the boys. No skipping steps! :)

moot question because the overwhelming majority of crossdressers have no fashion sense to begin withThe hell you say! :)

Kathi

carolinebrookes
09-26-2009, 06:11 AM
I guess as I've matured, I've become more aware of what looks good on me as opposed to what would look good on a young 21 year old female!

Nowadays, I can mostly get by wearing what most women my age are wearing. If I went to the supermarket in a micro skirt, skimpy top and 6 inch heels, I'd be stared at and laughed at. GG's dressed like this would most probably face the same reaction in the same outfit, so I observe what ladies my age wear and try as far as possible to look as nice as them.

I don't ever see the day when I'll wear a long skirt or dress on a regular basis. Not even my grandma would do that!

az_azeel
09-26-2009, 05:35 PM
First of all gives :Ze: a :slap: for mentioning age... :heehee: yup im 47 but my brain says differant to my body ... my brain tells me im in my 20's ish... and as for fashion i have never been fashion concious... the fact i dont go out or need to blend in (only my own personal situation) i feel i just wear what i like... or more to the point what Alexis likes.. :heehee: plus if you got the legs you might as well show them... heres one of my favourite outfits... a bit retro... but nice all the same..

msginaadoll
09-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Mine definitely has. When I started fully dressing in my early 20's I was all about short skirts and high heels. I felt that looking sexxy/****ty was feminine to me. In some ways my dressing was more sexual and fetishy. I guess more so in the past five years I have come to a change. I feel feminine in pants as well as skirts. I find long skirts as lovely and sexxy as short. Im starting to dress more my age. My biggest joy or rush now is to look presentable or acceptable when Im out. my ootward presentation is more of who I am inside as opposed to more of a costume when I was younger.

ReineD
09-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Cute az .... if it has a similar cutout on the other side, wouldn't your dress make a wonderful hand-warmer? :D :D :D

:hiding:

(There. Now consider yourself paid back). ;)

az_azeel
09-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Cute az .... if it has a similar cutout on the other side, wouldn't your dress make a wonderful hand-warmer? :D :D :D

:hiding:

(There. Now consider yourself paid back). ;)

theres only the one hole and yeah ok.... paid back in full.. :lol2:

Sara Jessica
09-26-2009, 06:17 PM
moot question because the overwhelming majority of crossdressers have no fashion sense to begin with

I'm gonna take this one and run with it (thanks to Kathi for the inspiration).

There's age-appropriate to consider, how we present ourselves as we age, as our bodies change, etc. But my approach also has to do with developing a style. Those who know me know exactly what to expect because for me, whether casual or dressy, it's not about (and I've said this before) "a dress", "a pair of shoes" or whatever. It's about "the look", one which I have cultivated by paying attention to other women and fashion trends. I'm all for quality, not quantity.

Therefore, i believe a woman can easily stand out in the crowd in a good way by being fashion-forward, yet still dressing appropriate for her age and setting. While I strive to blend most of the time, the attention I usually get is positive. For example, last weekend I had four out-of-the-blue overwhelmingly positive compliments on my charm bracelet and two each for my top and shoes. I'll say "mission accomplished" for that!!!