PDA

View Full Version : Cultural Impact of Clothing Preference

Tina2
09-25-2009, 11:35 PM
My wife likes to ask me if I had lived in another culture would I want to dress like the women in that culture even if the clothes were unattractive. She likes to use "burkas" as an example.

The desire to crossdress is so weird. I mean, it's just clothes. Why do I feel such strong desires about clothes?

I'm wondering if maybe there is a part of the brain that controls instincts about clothing. Female instincts shape women's fashion. Women's clothing is the way it is because that is what women instinctively like.

If that is true, then maybe crossdressers developed a female version of brain part that controls that instinct.

Are there any cultures where men and women dress the same? Are there commen elements of women's clothing across all cultures that would support a biological hard-wiring of preference?

LeannL
09-26-2009, 08:53 AM
I have been musing about this very subject as I continue to try an figure out why I am the way I am even as I have no problem with who I am. I have since spoken to a few people (including a psychologist) about it also.

The way I look at the emerging scientific data, we were born with more of a female brain than the "average" male (remembering that it is a continuum). The female part of our brain probably developed in utero. So there is nothing we could do about it. Having a significant feminine side, it needs validation. One way we do it is to wear women's clothes. So to answer your question about the berka, if you were to live in a society where that was normal for women, you would probably want to wear it. It is all about your feminine side expressing itself the way women around you live their lives. Now the question about the societies in which women wear berkas, do the crossdressers wear berkas or do they go for what the women wear in the confines of their own homes which is often pretty feminine "western" clothing.

The question of why many of us want to go out dressed follows from the above discussion. Those of us that go out dressed are also looking to validate our female side. Going out and being seen by others says to our feminine side that it is real and has a place in society even if many people, if they knew, might not expect it. Hence, many of us are fixated on passing. In those societies where women wear berkas, if you were going out, you would wear a berka for a number of obvious reasons.

Hope this helps.

Leann

Karren H
09-26-2009, 09:06 AM
It's not "Just" clothes.... it's way more.... shoes.... hair.... accessories.... MAKEUP!!

So what do you think they wear under those Burkas?? I was thinking like Victoria Secret super models under each one.... yeah!!! :)

Tina B.
09-26-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure the women in those places even like wearing Burkas, but it's better than a caning. And as a cross dresser I doubt I would go out in a Burka, since that could get you beheaded. But at home, who knows!
Tina B.

LeannL
09-26-2009, 09:30 AM
It's not "Just" clothes.... it's way more.... shoes.... hair.... accessories.... MAKEUP!!

So what do you think they wear under those Burkas?? I was thinking like Victoria Secret super models under each one.... yeah!!! :)

From what I have read, you are probably right way more than you could imagine.

Kate Simmons
09-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Ah but if the real challenge is to come off with the presentation with others thinking one is a woman, only a very few can pull that off successfully when what is underneath cannot be seen. It's easy with a country like ours where the "glitter" is evident but try it in a burka and chances are it's very difficult for most. A true female impersonator can pull it off as they can pick up on and execute the subtle moves and other differences that a genetic woman can do naturally. It may look easy but the people of those particular countries spot the difference immediately.:battingeyelashes::)

Tina2
09-26-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm just trying to figure out why I prefer women's clothing.

I don't think I have a very female brain. The more I read about the differences between male and female brains the more it seems like my brain is quite male -- especially with respect to congnitive ability.

On the other hand, I have never really felt like I fit in with groups of guys. I was wondering recently if maybe my social instincts were more female. Or maybe I just have poor social instincts.

I guess the root of my questions is whether I prefer clothes that are pretty and soft and silky, or if I like the idea of dressing like a woman regardless of what that is. If they sold guy's jeans that were tight and stretchy and had pretty embroidery, would I like those as much as I like the women's jeans that are in the same style?

My wife bought me some men's underwear from American Apparel a few years ago. I have a bunch of different colors including purple and bright pink. I prefer them to my plain white underwear, but I prefer my purple nylon string bikini panties to those. But I am not sure why though.

I have very little interest in wearing plain white cotton women's panties.

sherri52
09-26-2009, 06:13 PM
The difference is here and in modern europe, women have pretty clothes made with satin or silk. The middle eastern women's clothing does not offer any of those. As to countries wearing the same clothing try one or two of the third world countries were both sexex wear only grass skirts. If they could get more would they dress like us?

Ralph
09-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Grass skirts? Really? Where do you get your current cultural information, 1969 issues of National Geographic? Tell me some of these countries, I'd like to Google [tm] them and see these grass skirts.

LeannL
09-26-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm just trying to figure out why I prefer women's clothing.

I don't think I have a very female brain. The more I read about the differences between male and female brains the more it seems like my brain is quite male -- especially with respect to congnitive ability.

Tina,

Your whole brain need not be female. In fact, you just need some of it to react in a female way. Personally, I am very male in many ways as are many that post here. My congnitive abilities definately follow the male sterotype and I like many male pursuits but I still like a dress.

Leann

trannie T
09-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Each one of us is unique. We have different motivations to dress and express ourselves in different ways. Some of us have a fetish and are attracted to pink curlers or leather underwear, others try to become as much like women as possible.
I am sure that there are those who are attracted to burqas, just as there are those who enjoy VS undies.

Hope
09-27-2009, 09:24 PM
My wife likes to ask me if I had lived in another culture would I want to dress like the women in that culture even if the clothes were unattractive. She likes to use "burkas" as an example.

The desire to crossdress is so weird. I mean, it's just clothes. Why do I feel such strong desires about clothes?

I'm wondering if maybe there is a part of the brain that controls instincts about clothing. Female instincts shape women's fashion. Women's clothing is the way it is because that is what women instinctively like.

If that is true, then maybe crossdressers developed a female version of brain part that controls that instinct.

Are there any cultures where men and women dress the same? Are there commen elements of women's clothing across all cultures that would support a biological hard-wiring of preference?

Yeah, your wife is making the mistake of thinking that gender is a purely social construct (as she has been taught to do), or that your desire to dress and act as a woman is in some way a means for you to shirk your masculine responsibilities. I would bet that she is embarrassed by it to some extent as well.

The truth is that it is not about the clothes.

If you lived in a different culture you would be interested in wearing the feminine attire of that culture, because, as research is showing, in a startling number of cases, there are brain structure issues, at least there are for transexuals.

Crossdressing is not some sort of deviant activity that only afflicts western males, it is something that afflicts men and women from all cultures. In fact in some cultures, we would not bee looked at with scorn, but looked up to as valued members of society. Do some research on two spirit, and hijra, and third gender if you are interested in more info. Though, don't mistakenly think it will settle things with your wife - she is having an emotional not logical objection.