PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Through The Needlework Ceiling?

Persephone
09-26-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm at the Los Angeles County Fair right now & am surprised by the number of male entries in traditionally feminine categories such as needlework, tapestry, millinery, etc. Have men broken through the crafts ceiling?

Ze
09-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Whether it's officially a new thing or not, I don't know, but it's nice to at least see this once instance.

I've always had huge respect for the pioneer Roosevelt "Rosey" Grier, though. :<3: Coolest man ever. I'm sure guys like him helped pave the way for today's new acceptance levels.

Barbara Jo
09-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Whether it's officially a new thing or not, I don't know, but it's nice to at least see this once instance.

I've always had huge respect for the pioneer Roosevelt "Rosey" Grier, though. :<3: Coolest man ever. I'm sure guys like him helped pave the way for today's new acceptance levels.

I agree. I have always respected him for him for that.

Ralph
09-26-2009, 08:58 PM
As soon as I saw the question I thought about Rosey. Shoulda known others would beat me to the obvious answer! I don't care about sports at all, but he totally rocked.

Persephone
09-27-2009, 03:15 AM

Rosey was totally awesome. Because of him I was able to openly knit in public. A great human being.

Daintre
09-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Shush, don't be telling anyone that I do needlepoint. I learned from my mom and in fact had to finish her last work which was a portrait of "The Gleaners". I am showing a picture of the scene, unfortunately my sister now has the work we did, but it always brings back memories when I see it.

Jamie M
09-27-2009, 09:19 AM
well i've always been into cross-stitch and have completed some rather nice ones in the past. I started doing them in school for home ec classes and enjoyed it ever since. I think there are more men into such things then would readily admit to it and that's a shame. The only breakthrough i see happening is one of people admitting they do enjoy it and are good at it.

I find people very funny, I started taking my projects to work with me to pass the time when on spare shifts and in my breaks and such. At first the reaction in the mess room was one of bewilderment more than anything else "why on earth are you doing that ?" sort of thing but now i've been doing it for so long it's just become accepted "what picture are you doing this time ?"

As time has passed more people have opened up "actually i do quilts","I knit" and so forth. It's got to the point now when drivers from other depots pop in and see me sewing away my own colleagues who themselves were deriding me before now meet such criticism with outrage and scorn of their own. Times are a changing :)

Karren H
09-27-2009, 10:09 AM
I c an't knit or sew..... but I can fix a sewing machine!! Does that count? :)

Marcia Blue
09-27-2009, 12:30 PM
I started needle point when I was in High School for the heck of it. Actually it was relaxing. I might half to pick it up again, something to do while dressed at home.