PDA

View Full Version : hard to find help...

latinacdtx26
09-27-2009, 04:52 AM
ok this is pretty much just a ramble or rant or whatever....i have came across some very attractive looking drag queen and other crossdressers on myspace etc. my first thought is someone must have helped these people start off..the basics..the foundation etc. is there a typical way to go about meeting someone for make up help locally? maybe it comes across as weird getting mail from someone u dont know asking for makeup help...usually i get no response but i cant help but think of those people who deny as being selfish and rude. to me its just a buisness deal..a service they could provide and a reasonable payment. there are other places..the transformation etc. but i dunno just seems like alot of those are just low quality...more fantasy than reality etc. so did anyone help you all or did u just experiment on own.

Misty G
09-27-2009, 05:26 AM
I pretty much done it on my own with trial and error over the years. How ever I have had a couple of make overs at MAC which was a lot of help. They don't charge anything to do a make over but you will want to buy some of their make up. Especially their foundation because the tech that does your make over will find the one that is right for you and will help to conceal the shadow for aa longer time and their eye shadows are the greatest.

You can also tell them what kind of look you are looking for, a really far out drag queen look or a more natural and conservative. They will do either. If you are lucky you may even find a drag queen (performer) that is great with that look.

Daintre
09-27-2009, 08:53 AM
I think trial and error really covers it. For myself I talked my self into getting a make-up lesson at Merle Normans. The appointment was wonderful because the lady helping me was from Brazil....she said to me "honey just let us do some magic. I did this all the time back home" The session was great, I learned a lot and was treated so very well.

Sheila
09-27-2009, 09:01 AM
for a lot of the girls it was trial and error, others had/have help from partners ........ you could try ringing up local beauty shops/hair salons that offer make overs as part of their business and ask if they do make overs for TG people, many do and the make over rooms are usually private, they are usually friendly and will give advice as they are doing your make over :)

hope this helps

maybe if u asked them how they got started on doing their own amazing make up and say you hope one day to be able to emulate the flawless perfection they are, you may get some good responses, people usually like to hear how good they look, it is more likely to result in a posative response :)

JenniferR771
09-27-2009, 09:05 AM
I made an appointment at Merle Norman. It was great. She let me change into my dress in her bathroom. However--not at all private--she sat me right up in front! So nervous--and she stopped to wait on customers at times.

msginaadoll
09-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Some trial and error... However. I became familiar with local resources and contacted a transformation service closeby- Janets Closet. I remember almost crying the first time i had a makeover, I was so shocked. I ended up having several more there. Each time I asked questions about what was being done, about foundations, blending, etc. After a time I realized while I liked the look I was trying for something a little more natural and less drag. From this forum I was aware of MAC and so made an appointment there. It was one of the best things I did. The makeup artist there took his time to explain what he was doing, what products he felt worked on me, etc. It was nervewracking sitting there as other shoppers walked by. I did learn so much from the experience. A lot of what the other ladies have already said, as well as using different brushes, cosmetic wedges, etc to apply foundation, etc. I also realized it was important to take my time and not just slap makeup on. Give the primers, foundations, powder etc time to set. So all in all tried to pick up tips from wherever I could.

Karren H
09-27-2009, 09:58 AM
No one helped me!! I bought books and watched videos and practiced for over a year every day before I felt I had mastered makeup and the look I wanted... I'm still learning every day... something new...

And what really piss's me off is someone that comes here and expects everyone to drop what ever they are doing and go make them into a girl!!! I'm not saying your doing that but that just raised a big pet peeve...... Grrrrr....

Want to look like as good as a woman... you got to work your ass off..... they sure do!!

trannie T
09-27-2009, 02:52 PM
There are books,magazines, videos and a gazillion sites on the web that give makeup advice. I have had my makeup done by a beauty college and have asked about techniques whileit was being done. I am still very unskilled but getting better.

boardpuppy
09-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Reference books and vids are essential to figure out what your basic look is going to be. At this point a make over is in order....from here on it is up to you and how much practice you want to invest. I can toot my horn, in that a GGF has said my makeup looks good. However, compared to Karen and BeckiB, I am still a beginner and have a long way to go. How well you want to "pass" with makeup is up to you.

Hugs,
Alice

sherri52
09-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Experimentation in both colors and quality. It can be time consuming. Try calling a few of your beauty shops, if you feel funny about it, ask if they have a private room. Either go dressed or bring clothes with you or you may look funny leaving in drab with makup on. The SA can help with your colors and explain the application. An accepting GG would help to.