PDA

View Full Version : Communications When Out

Michelle-Leigh
09-29-2009, 03:26 PM
I am planning my first excursion next month, and have everything ready except for a feminine voice, and that is the only thing that I am apprehensive about. Does anyone out there use their masculine voice when out, and how does that go over ?

PaulaJaneThomas
09-29-2009, 03:37 PM
I've only got a masculine voice. It's never been a problem as if I'm at normal conversation type distances they're going to read me anyway but so what?

tricia_uktv
09-29-2009, 03:41 PM
It has never worried me, but then for me its not about passing its about being myself. I would say just tone the sound down and you'll be ok. If you speak softly your voice is often taken as feminine. Good luck.

carhill2mn
09-29-2009, 04:01 PM
This question arises quite often. Exactly what is your "masculine voice"? Is it a basso profundo or just on the "low side"?
Many women have voices that are quite low and are often considered "sexy". It is more of a style of speaking than the pitch itself. Nearly everyone can pitch her voice a few "notes" higher and still sound normal (falsetto is a definite "no,no"). Listen carefully to how genetic women speak; the phrasing, choices of words or expressions, the "timbre" (men tend to speak from lower in the laynx), speak a little more softly and avoid sounding "authoratative" or aggresive, use gentle hand gestures.
Your attitude and self-confidence are just as important as your voice as you are "playing a role", so to speak. As with any other learned skill, practice, practice, practice!
Good luck! Enjoy!

Sheila
09-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Debs ordered our lunch when we were out today, in her male voice and she was treated with politeness, she also pointed out that the barmaid had made a mistake in the order for our drinks which she quickly corrected and refused to take any more money for doubling my drink order :)

joank
09-29-2009, 04:32 PM
I just speak softly and hope for the best. SA's usually do not react at all.
No falsetto please.

Kathi Lake
09-29-2009, 04:45 PM
I never try to be what I'm not - a woman. I don't speak in a falsetto. I don't lisp. I don't use a breathy, "feminine" tone. How do people treat me? Perfectly fine. I think one reason I am as accepted as I am is that they know me to be real. I'm not trying to be something I'm not. I am simply a man with a stunning wardrobe! :)

Kathi

Sam-antha
09-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Just a touch of soft speak. Nothing loud, nothing agressive and all will be accepted. Be sure also that your accompanying gestures fit the part that yo are playing.

Fab Karen
09-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Many of us use our normal voice, but as others are saying, NOT being down in the deep level. Not falsetto, just think gentler. Being out & about you have to accept some people will read you. The majority of those don't care/won't say anything negative.

Michelle S
09-29-2009, 05:35 PM
When I go out now I talk a bit softer and smoother and try to use feminine hand gestures and body language. But, the first few times I went out I tried to plan it so I would not need to talk at all. If I did need to talk I stuck one syllable words. I was a nervous wreck! As people here have posted self-confidence is your best weapon, but that takes time to develop too. So, don't rush tings and enjoy your time out.

sherri52
09-29-2009, 05:38 PM
I have a very sharp Boston accent and couldn't possibly get a femme voice from that. I haven't had any problems, of course I don't pass either.

Michelle-Leigh
09-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Thank you so much, Ladies, for your helpful advice. I know that it will probably take months or years to develop a more female speech mode, so at present I will prioritize other things. The only time that I will soon need to disguise my voice will be for a few seconds on Halloween night when I pull a good one on some unsuspecting friends of mine !