PDA

View Full Version : Traditionally female hobbies

Daybreak
10-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Hello All,

I am wondering how many of the CD'ers enjoy what are typically considered female hobbies. Things such as knitting, quilting, cross-stitch, scrap booking or anything else you can think of. Just thinking of things that were typically done by mom or grandma.

Why do you or don't you enjoy them?

Thanks,

Rebecca Jayne
10-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Well I sew,

Decoupage

make candles

Gift Baskets

Floral arrangements (go figure)

play with trains, I mean dress up

and on and on

CDgirlfriend
10-05-2009, 02:48 PM
I think it's very normal for men to take on traditionally girly hobies. For example, my dad, who is straight by the way, loves scrapbooking, decorating and designing. Me on the other hand (I'm a girl), hate all of that stuff.

LeotardMan
10-05-2009, 02:50 PM
For fitness I like to do aerobics, ballet, and pilaties. For other everyday things I like to cook (That’s borderline) do my nails and have a girls day out at the spa.

Geoff

Kerigirl2009
10-05-2009, 02:53 PM
:) Well lately I have been enjoying this thing called Cross stitching. I like doing this and I am not ashamed to admit it, this hobby allows me to spend some quiet time with my wife too. However it takes along time to see any progress. So I think it also teaches patience. I love to be around you :hugs:
I think I would also enjoy scrapbooking (maybe a little easier on the eyes) and just maybe some swearing is allowed. just kidding
I also love to go shopping for clothes. Oh and I guess maybe getting my nails done would be an experience.
I was wondering when you would post this I guess now I know.
I am also open to new ideas too.:love:

christinek
10-05-2009, 02:54 PM
I cook, clean, do windows. But I am also a car girl.

I don't have any hobbies per say. I HATE sports on TV. If you see sports on my TV it is because it is broken.

People will ask, who is playing, I have no clue even what team is playing.

suchacutie
10-05-2009, 03:00 PM
I crochet. I have since I was very little. My grandmother needed to give me something to do when I stayed with her one night a week, so she showed me what she knew well...how to crochet.

Hmmm, so I wonder what clothes Tina can crochet for herself :)

tina

Karren H
10-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Crossdressing is my hobby... Does ice hockey count? We have a number of women playing!! Probably not I guess..

I collect vintage earrings!!! And makeup.. Lots and lots of makeup!! And shoes!!

Persephone
10-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Knit and hook rugs, have taken a sewing class, and love to do all of them.
Gardener and the home canner, both great fun (I make superb preserves)
Backpacker, hiker and geocacher
Scrapbook maker (a girly hobby if ever there was one!)
Do all the regular maintenance on our RV, including oil changes; less creeping under other cars as time goes by
Do 95% of the cooking and virtually all of the grocery shopping, etc.
Target and clay shooter, never have yet tried hunting, don't enjoy fishing
Active community volunteer
Active in ladies auxiliary at religious congregation
Avid reader, subscribe to Women's Day, Family Circle, InStyle People Watch (fashion mag), Women's Fitness, Women's Health and a number of other magazines.

DemonicDaughter
10-05-2009, 03:30 PM
I think "girl hobbies" are any hobby a girl chooses to do.

Such as I use to ride dirt bikes and motorcycles. I belonged to a very large club of women riders.

I also enjoy weaponry and know a great deal of other women who do as well. Many of which are in the military and the NRA.

Plus I'm a gamer, and being the rise of female gamers is becoming equal to and in some cases exceeding male gamers, I'm surprised you didn't add that to your list as well.

I think hobbies aren't male or female oriented any longer.

Nicole Brown
10-05-2009, 03:45 PM
I cook, I love to cook and I sew. I do all of my own alterations on my clothing and enjoy styling my wig. I will sit and watch a tear jerker, but I miss too much with all of my crying.

Nicole

Deborah Jane
10-05-2009, 03:47 PM

I agree with DD, hobbies aren;t gender specific any more, one of my hobbies is building modified cars and I see plenty of women at the car shows I attend, driving cars they've built themselves :)

By the same token a friend of mine is an ex boxer and one of his favourite ways to relax is knitting :straightface:

So for my :2c:
Hobbies are just whatever you do to relax, no matter what you do or your gender :)

MWCMDarlene
10-05-2009, 04:20 PM
What was the commercial from some years back that showed 4 or 5 retired NFL players knitting? Who were the players? Sort of makes you wonder about their disposition, doesn't it?

AllieSF
10-05-2009, 05:58 PM
I alos agree with DD. Anything someone wants to do on a regular basis can be considered a hobby. I like to play golf, swim, lay in the sun, read touchy-feely books, attend plays, travel, shop (that is a hobby, right?) and everything else that anyone else, including women enjoy doing. Knitting sewing and the rest are for others, not me.

AKASadieGG
10-05-2009, 06:04 PM
I am a GG and my favorite hobby is fishing.

Michelle-Leigh
10-05-2009, 06:14 PM
I love rollerskating, and especially artistic rollerskating, which is generally a very girly thing. In fact, artistic rollerskating is considered so feminine that only a small percentage of artistic rollerskaters are male. I also collect ceramic figurines and village buildings, as shown here in my Christmas Village / Model Train Layout:

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu143/michelleleighb/ChristmasVillageSmall.jpg

And I sincerely wish I could sew, and plan to learn to do that someday !

borbiusle
10-05-2009, 06:22 PM
I watch spanish soap operas at night sometimes. I love the drama :D.

Rebecca Jayne
10-05-2009, 09:31 PM
What was the commercial from some years back that showed 4 or 5 retired NFL players knitting? Who were the players?

Roosevelt Greer L A Rams a fearless 6'7" defensive player.
He's the only one I remember.

martha mars
10-05-2009, 09:37 PM
i make all my owen skirts and tops

Meghan
10-06-2009, 12:01 AM
I love to cook. I live for it, I love sharing whatever sense of flavor I have with others!

I pretty much take care of dinner almost every night, even if I have been working a long day.

I love, love, love it!

Meghan

Stitch
10-06-2009, 01:19 AM
Plus I'm a gamer, and being the rise of female gamers is becoming equal to and in some cases exceeding male gamers, I'm surprised you didn't add that to your list as well.

Alright DD! Glad to meet another gal in the gamer corner. :love:
I'm a hardcore gamer, I eat sleep and breath computer games.

Incidentally I hate being told that I should like a particular thing because its girl orientated, or I shouldn't do something because its male.

I'll do whatever hobby I want to do, and I'll enjoy it too. Screw gender stereotypes.

Elaine Michelle
10-06-2009, 02:17 AM
I play sand volleyball.

But no, I don't wear a bikini.

Elaine

Samantha43
10-06-2009, 08:33 AM
My hobbies would all be considered traditionally male....... Well except for my favorite one :battingeyelashes:

I do enjoy cooking and will sew only when I have to.

Knitting, needle point, scrap booking and most other traditionally female hobbies I find mind numbing.

Chari
10-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Depending on my mood, it could be sewing, gardening, flower arranging, cooking, baking, fashion designing, and my newest "hobby" - creating new jewelry from discarded vintage pieces. Of course there is always shopping, shopping, and more shopping if there is time!

Jannis
10-06-2009, 09:50 AM
I enjoy gourmet cooking. I do 95% of the cooking and all the shopping. I also love to shop for my clothes en femme. When not doing that I am a flyfisherman (woman?) who ties flies and teaches kids how to fly fish.

Kerigirl2009
10-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Well after reading your posts It seems that sewing is the winner in Traditional female hobbies.
When asked the question, seeing as it was my wife that asked this question. What whe was looking for was What hobbies did your Grandmother do that your Grandfather would not be caught dead even thinking about.
She knows that women can do anything and that men can too but what she was looking for was other hobbies that are or where considered female hobbies.
I know that before I told my wife I would have never considered sitting with her and cross-stitching because that too me would be opening myself up to a traditional female activity. Not that I didn't think it was neat just not a regular man activity. But hey it is fun. In my opinion.:) Thinking about the scrapbooking activity because then i can spend more quality time with my wife.:)

Daphne Renee
10-06-2009, 11:09 PM
The only thing that comes close for me is cooking.

Leslie Langford
10-07-2009, 12:22 AM
What was the commercial from some years back that showed 4 or 5 retired NFL players knitting? Who were the players?

Roosevelt Greer L A Rams a fearless 6'7" defensive player.
He's the only one I remember.

Rosey Grier not only did needlepoint, he also enjoyed macrame. On top of that, he authored several books about his hobby, including "Rosey Grier's Needlepoint for Men" . He was always quite open about his passion, and at 6' 7", nobody ever gave Rosey any grief over it :heehee:.

Ann Thomas
10-07-2009, 09:50 AM
In the last few years I've had to drop most of my hobbies just to survive. Right now the only thing that qualifies is playing ********* (online game - MMORPG), which I've done for years. I cook alot, and I enjoy it, but it's more for survival now than fun.

But before that I've machine knitted (used to work in that industry) and square danced.

Ann

sherri52
10-07-2009, 09:55 AM
I was taught how to knit and sew by my mother, who taught all of her children. If I need to sew something now, I can even with a sewing machine. However, I don't do either as a recreation at home. I would rather read a book or do a crossword puzzle.

cd_jamie
10-07-2009, 05:32 PM
I love to cook. everyone is glad when I do cuz my wife's cooking is, whats a nice way to say this, um bad!!! I sew. home canning. gardening. argue with my tg son over what kinda flowers to plant. I target shoot, hunt, hate fishing.

Loni
10-26-2009, 03:05 PM
I have thought about trying to learn to sew,
but for now it is just keeping house and reloading.
When I can find a place, or get to the point were I can pass...a bit then target shooting will join the group.

Rianna Humble
10-26-2009, 04:01 PM
The only thing that comes close for me is cooking.

I'll second that, only thing is it's not really a very girl-only hobby - some of the best male chefs are men ;-)

Joyously 27
10-26-2009, 05:38 PM
I have hooked rugs for wall hangings,wool coasters made with 2 plastic
squares with a layer of aluminum in between so there isn't any moisture
damaging wood tables, I decorate indoors/outdoors at Christmas.

Marsha K
10-26-2009, 08:39 PM
I love to rollerskate and square dance.
I have emroidered and done several latch hook rugs.
I do 90% of the house cleaning, and enjoy it.
I also love gardening.
I bake an awesome batch of whole wheat bread. Eight loaves at a time, but not often enough according to my family.

My wife thanks me for being very willing to spend whole days shoping with her and my daughter.

I also don't give a care about sports at all except maybe hitting a few golf balls into the woods on purpose.

abigailf
10-31-2009, 03:41 PM
I like to play the piano in a dress or skirt and heels. I also like to cook, but as I am quite messy, I usually stay in my boy clothes. I don't want to get stains on my girl things.

tinalynn
10-31-2009, 08:08 PM
The only girly hobby I have is baking. But then, as pointed out, baking/cooking isn't really a girl-only type of thing. I guess in the 'traditional' household it is, though. I like to do house work dressed, but certainly wouldn't call it a hobby! But otherwise, all of my hobbies are traditionally male dominated ones. Hunting/shooting, fishing, sports. Nothing that grandpa wouldn't have done.

Guess I'm not real girly other than the clothes...

Illusions Of Amy
10-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Nooo... I'm really uncoordinated and inept in most hobbies that are traditionally more "girly"... cooking, cleaning, sewing, decorating, making things for people, etc. But I still love the idea of being as awkward in girl mode as guy mode. I should make bi-gendered clumsiness a theme for my proposed "musical". :D

tamela bell
10-31-2009, 09:14 PM
i like to sew (usualy skirts and nightgowns)
needlepoint
latch hook
plastic canvas

abigailf
11-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Sewing: another feminine skill I recalled today when I had to sew a button back on my dress.