PDA

View Full Version : How TG Friendly is Key West FL

maggiecdva
10-06-2009, 09:47 AM
I will assume that Key West FL is TG Friendly but I wanted to check if anyone has any experiences with Key West. It's been nearly 20 years since I was there so I'm sure much has changed.

Also, what are the hotels / motels like these days in Key West?

Thanks in advance.

Hugs - maggie

Jannis
10-06-2009, 09:57 AM
I visit Key West annually. There is a large gay population there as most of you know. Most hotels and B&Bs welcome GLBT's. They have a number of gay bars that offer drag shows which are very popular. I walk around en femme regularly and locals and tourists alike smile and say hello. There are times when certain groups of tourists are in town and alcohol is always involved, where a rude comment may be overheard. This is such a laid back place always ready for a party. Write or call the Visitors Bureau and you will get a ton of stuff from hotels, etc that indicate they are gay friendly.

CD202Leanne
10-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Hi Maggie,

Aaaaahhhh . . . . The Keys :-) . . . . . there is no other place quite like it that I know of. I've been down there 6 times since I have lived in Florida, but sadly I've yet to go down there en femme. To answer your main questin, YES, Key West is definitely TG friendly. You'll find just about anything and everything in The Keys, and the closer you get to Mile Marker "0" the more laid back it becomes. Practically anything goes, and there are certain establishments where clothing is entirely optional. You may want to check out The Garden of Eden, 224 Duval St.

As for hotels/motels, I've never stayed in the large franchise outfits. The small, independent places will cost $150 a night or more (off-season) and you won't be impressed. Basically a bed and a bathroom. But hey . . . . . it's The Keys ! ! People are there to party, not pamper themselves in luxury. The more you spend on lodging, the less you will have to spend on night life.

There is a full moon party every month on Islamorada and it is THE place to be. If you can coincide your trip with a full moon, you won't be disappointed. We were just there in August so not only did we catch the party at Morada Bay but it was also the annual Lobster Fest so it was a GREAT weekend ! !

hope this helps . . . . . Leanne