PDA

View Full Version : new hope pa

jennifer24
10-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Not sure if this is the place for this thread but, I`ve heard that New Hope Pa is very crossdresser friendly, I`ve never been there but want to go (only live about 30 min from there)
Was wondering if anybody here has ever been there & where are some good places for us girls to go, any help would be very nice, thanks alot.

Terri Andrews
10-06-2009, 10:09 PM
I have been there and it is very TG friendly . There is a group that meets for dinner every month, if interested E-mail me and I will I will give your address to the girl that sets the dinners up .
I have been to the dinners and it is always well attended .

Ze
10-06-2009, 10:45 PM
I've been to New Hope numerous times. It was always very LGBT-friendly; rainbow flags hanging out all over, same-sex couples holding hands down the street, androgynous-looking people running shops, etc. I would safely assume it's CD-friendly, too.

HOWEVER, I stopped going to New Hope a few years ago because I felt it was becoming outrageously yuppified. It was all over once they put the Starbucks in. :doh: Then came the expensive hairstyling shops (WTF?), novelty stores, and gourmet food shops. Prices skyrocketed, the sidewalks became mobbed, and the streets were always busy. I began to feel like the LGBT community was suddenly being treated like exotic zoo creatures, the "normals" finding the area desirable only because it was deemed hip. ("Oh, look, honey! A gay!" *snapshot*) A lot of rudeness started coming in along with this yuppification.

So I'd be very cautious of the the wrong sort of positive attention. :straightface: But if you're not too bothered by such objectification, I'd take Terri's advice and hang in a group. You'll probably be more "protected" if you're not wandering around on your own.

SaraCDPA
10-07-2009, 02:25 AM
Where is New Hope PA? sounds like a fun place to visit Sara

Kaitlyn Michele
10-07-2009, 05:46 AM
I have been there many times...It is VERY friendly in the town..

There are lots of different types of places there, but its still very artsy and very quaint...

If you are looking to get out..that is a good place to do it.

Karen__Starr
10-07-2009, 05:53 AM
I use to go there about 20 years ago when living in a town called Wyndmoor PA. I am sure it has changed a great deal but not enough to say it's not trans friendly. I like the idea of having Starbuck's as I am a coffee person.

Kali
10-07-2009, 06:56 AM
New Hope has changed a lot in the last few years. We used to spend a lot of time at the Cartwheel (burned down), a very TG friendly bar/dance club and at Odette's (piano bar/restaurant) (flooded out).

You can still have a good time at the Raven, but has been mentioned, it's gottten a lot more mainstream and less artsy/LGBT over the last 5 years. That's not entirely a bad thing, and I wouldn't expect to have any problems there, but there will be a higher percentage of gawkers than there once was.

Nicole Brown
10-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Hi Jennifer,

Everything that has been said about New Hope is right on target. I have been visiting for 15 years, the past 3 as Nicole and I have seen a change. But these changes are not bad. Sure there are more tourists, but that makes it all the more fun to visit.

Before Nicole started going out, I was one of the visitors who went to look and see. Now, as Nicole, I am one of the visitors who go to look and see. The sights are somewhat different, but just as interesting and fun. With all of the changes, it is still worth a visit.

Nicole

Jannis
10-07-2009, 09:48 AM
New Hope, PA is located in suburban Philadelphia in Bucks County. It is right on the Delaware River near Washington Crossing State Park. (Remember the famous painting)This is a very popular place for many New York theater(Bucks County Playhouse) and show biz types that live here and commute to the city. It has always been an artsy, quaint, gay friendly place. Many wonderful restaurants and B&Bs in the area. There is a lot of tourism and main stream yuppies in town on weekends. It has been this way for 40+ years, not just recently. It is well worth a visit. You never know when you are sitting in a restaurant and a well known professional theater actor from Broadway will take over the piano bar and entertain the guests. This has happened to me.

sherri52
10-07-2009, 09:52 AM
I've never been there but it does sound like a good place to visit.

NathalieX66
10-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Lambertville, NJ across the bridge is equally eclectic. It's all acessible on foot from New Hope. Mostly antique shops, odd boutiques, and vintage clothing.

Karan
10-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Any other restuarants or place besides the Raven? Is the Raven causal attire or a place that a nice outfit would be more in line with the other patrons.

Also, sorry to all that I do not post more, but this website is part of my daily life. Many thanks to all that have the courage to do so.

Kali
10-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Any other restuarants or place besides the Raven? Is the Raven causal attire or a place that a nice outfit would be more in line with the other patrons.

Also, sorry to all that I do not post more, but this website is part of my daily life. Many thanks to all that have the courage to do so.

Quite a few, ranging from sidewalk bistros to formal dining. I only suggest the Raven as a starting point because it's basically a lesbian/gay bar/restaurant/hotel as opposed to a place catering more for the vanilla community. A first time LBGT/CD visitor might feel more comfortable there.

I can also recommend the Inn at Stoney Hill as a very LGBT-friendlty B&B (I'm sure there are others, but that one is owned by some friends).

JulieK1980
10-07-2009, 05:23 PM
I had an absolute fantastic time, out dressed at the Cartwheel, and the Raven (I think it was called?) I haven't been there in a few years, but it was a great time!!:daydreaming:

skirtsuit
10-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Don't forget Philly!

Come down to the Tavern on Camac on Monday sometime and say hallo!

All the best,

Ann / SS

jennifer24
10-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks for all the info on new hope, sounds very cd friendly, went there about 2 weeks ago doing the day & really didn`t know where to go, guees I know now, one question though, are all those places mentioned just for night life or is there somewhere doing the day us girls can hang out? & are these places just dressy type places or casual?
Jenn

AmiFL
10-12-2009, 11:23 PM
A million years ago I lived in NJ, not far from New Hope. I went to the Raven with my girlfriend for dinner. (long before my present marriage) The hostess, Danni, was the most beautiful crossdresser I ever saw. (until I joined this site)
I'd say they are very TV/CD/TG freindly even today.

Pack your finest outfits and have a blast.

Ami

DaphneGrey
10-13-2009, 02:38 AM
I have been to New Hope many times and recently, I have shopped in all the boutiques and eaten in many of the restaurants there in the day and night. I doubt you would have any problems.

NathalieX66
10-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Yay! I was in New Hope, Pa. & Lambertville today!....no shortage of TG's, even on a quiet sunday afternoon. Personally, I think the two towns are better than Woodstock, NY, but that is my opinion. I went looking for antiques, and I saw a bunch of nice outfits in the vintage clothing stores that I'd just might wear for halloween. I left there loaded on coffee, and coal smoke in my lungs from the passing steam train.

briannad
10-19-2009, 01:51 AM
Used to go the Cartwheel for Monday nights shows, that was so long ago, at least 14 years. I also used to watch shows at the 12th Air Command in Philadelphia, is that still around? I know the Cartwheel burned down, was that an accident?

NathalieX66
10-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Anyone know anything about Bowman's Tavern?

Karren H
10-19-2009, 09:47 PM
I've never heard of the place.... I live in No Hope PA.... sigh....

ArleneRaquel
10-19-2009, 09:49 PM
I've never heard of the place.... I live in No Hope PA.... sigh....

No hope ? Karren at least you have the Penguins. Maybe the Hawks will go further this year. :) :battingeyelashes: