PDA

View Full Version : Finding a gender counselor

helenr
10-06-2009, 11:18 PM
I wonder how others go about finding a competent psych to see regarding transgender issues? Clearly, I don't want to spend $100. for 45 minutes to educate someone who truly doesn't know about us. what have others experienced? recommendations? thanks, Helenr

TerryTerri
10-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Well, this is how I found the lady I see. On numerous Transgender sites are lists of gender counselors in each state. I found one of those, looked up Arizona (my state) and then cross referenced that list against my insurance provider network list. I found a match, so, I made my appointment. I got really lucky I think. My counselor is just right for me. I'm very fond of her. I do think I got lucky. The match-up could have been lousy too. You just gotta give it a try and if it isn't working right, try another one. Point is, don't use that as an excuse not to get an appointment.
My counselor was able to get my insurance to pay by diagnosing me with depression (which was VERY true, I was borderline suicidal when I first went to her and had been clinically depressed for a couple of years before going to see her.).

luvSophia
10-07-2009, 03:28 AM
Google is your friend. I found mine by doing a search for +therapist +gender +Virginia. And then see what shows up in your area. Also, like Terri Jo said, many TS/TG support sites have a list of resources. You may have something like a Yahoo! Group that covers your area. Join that and ask for recommendations. Any local GLBT support organization ought to be able to help. Though they generally are more about the GLB than the T some are better than others. If you are at all religiously inclined the Metropolitan Community Church is very inclusive of Transgender persons and many of their pastors are also LCSW's.

Karen__Starr
10-07-2009, 05:49 AM
I posted a question online to a local group asking the same question and got a recommendation back from a client of a doctor. The key here is "recommendation" as I too did not want to spend money on someone who was not competent dealing with transgender people. When sent to a trans doctor from my therapist the doctor had a secret page on her web site that had a wealth of transgender resources specific to my area. I brought the doctor up because my bet is that once you find one they can connect your to others if there is a need. My need was for two SRS letters, yours may be different.

Stephenie S
10-07-2009, 06:53 AM
Dear All,

Let's all give Helen a big {{{hug}}} and all our best wishes. She has decided to seek gender therapy and is finally getting started on a better understanding of herself.

GO HELEN !!!

Lovies,
Stephenie

Karen564
10-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Good for you Helen!!!,

There are many resources to help you find one for your area, and also in the yellow pages...

Here's one source, just scroll down to CO.
http://www.drbecky.com/therapists02.html

And here's some good info regarding how to find one, etc., and More!!
http://www.tsroadmap.com/mental/therapy.html

Good Luck!!
:hugs:

CharleneT
10-07-2009, 09:21 AM
If you have a LGBT or Trans support group in your area, ask them for suggestions. Some Tri-Ess groups allow TS folk in (on the local level), try asking the folks in your area's group ?

GOOD LUCK !

Tomara
10-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi Helen
I would also suggest you Google Gender Therapist in what ever city is close to where you live , and do take the time to talk to a few different ones to see who you are most comfortable with.
Good luck.
Tomara

MelissaSue
10-07-2009, 03:39 PM
My counselor was able to get my insurance to pay by diagnosing me with depression (which was VERY true, I was borderline suicidal when I first went to her and had been clinically depressed for a couple of years before going to see her.).

I, too, got into counseling through the anxiety/depression door. The first therapist I saw for panic attacks -- a "family practice" therapist suggested by my insurance carrier and therefore someone whose services were totally covered -- had some good techniques for temporarily dealing with some of my symptoms of anxiety and depression. When I finally realized that I had to tell him my whole story in order to achieve a more lasting peace, he was understanding, though a bit unsure how to proceed since he was quite inexperienced in gender/transition issues. As a result, he referred me to a former associate of his and one of the most knowledgeable gender researchers and therapists in the area. Since referred, visits to my new therapist were also covered! In my case, the indirect route was worth it. As in a lot of things, it's not necessarily what my first therapist knew, but who he knew!

RylieCD
10-07-2009, 05:32 PM
I found my first theripist by choosing someone from my provider list, called them and they said they were experienced, After awhile i came to find out that there experiance included me and a 4 year old. I did not care for their course, I hope the 4 year old had better luck. My second and current Dr I found through multiple internet searches, and fortunatly he was in the area. He has tried talking about retirement but that was awhile ago, I am hoping he doesnt for awhile longer, hopefully at that point he will be able to recommend a good Dr.

Manda
10-07-2009, 07:50 PM
I have also been trying to find a therapist in my are with little success. Im not sure about these online therapists but perhaps they may be able to help abit. It seems like so many of the support groups in my area are either no longer there or relocated so all I can say is keep pursuing your dreams and keep searching I know I am. There is so many lovely people here Im sure you will get there> Best wishes Amanda

JenniferZ2009
10-07-2009, 08:56 PM
I have an HMO and I had my first visit with the available counselor. So far so good. Other than that no idea.

Teri Jean
10-07-2009, 10:10 PM
I went to my general practioner and he gave me a referral to the Sexual Health Clinic of my choice. From there it has been beneficial as I found answers that I was looking for.

Teri

donna h
10-08-2009, 09:53 AM
I found mine thru the Chicago Gender Society. She is great with all aspects of gender stuff, and great with spouses as well. She has helped me and my wife to agree on things we could never have done without her help.She has helped both of to get some peace over this dressing stuff and i owe her immensely.

MaiaCalamity
10-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Ugh... All of the info I find for my state is at least three years old. The Transgender Alliance's page hasn't been updated in 5 years.

I managed to find one through:
http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_search.php

But that took searching through the entire state, and the filters to find those with gender experience are pisspoor (AND IN THE SEXUAL ORIENTATION FILTER!).

StaceyJane
10-08-2009, 02:34 PM
I couldn't find a therapist around with TG experience so I started using an online therapist. The first one I tried was no good but the second one was fantastic and I really enjoy my sessions with her.

helenr
10-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement. So far I haven't had much luck-sex therapists brings all sorts of inappropriate counselors-some geared to help women learn to orgasm,etc. Will have to keep looking and I will check with the Denver transgender group-sensible to benefit from their combined knowledge.
I hear also that one should see an endocrinologist--I find that most are geared towards diabetes treatment.frustrating -and possibly expensive-to try to find someone with knowledge about transgendered patients.
I am sure a therapist and MD that are good matches to me are out there-have to persist. thanks, Helenr

luvSophia
10-10-2009, 05:08 AM
Helen,

For what it is worth, the Psychology Today web site has a "Find A Therapist" search feature on it. Gender issues is not one of the search selections, unfortunately, but it may be another resource in your search. It seems as though a lot of the therapists listed offer a free initial consultation, either in person or over the phone. Since gender is not one of the options the therapist gets to choose when writing up their description, one that deals in gay/lesbian issues may also deal with gender related ones.

helenr
10-10-2009, 04:41 PM
thanks, will check out Psych today. appreciate the tip. Helenr

MaiaCalamity
10-10-2009, 04:52 PM
I've actually come across ONE that does list "transgender issues." It took a lot of searching for me and basically clicking each result that came up for my state.

Karen564
10-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement. So far I haven't had much luck-sex therapists brings all sorts of inappropriate counselors-some geared to help women learn to orgasm,etc. Will have to keep looking and I will check with the Denver transgender group-sensible to benefit from their combined knowledge.
I hear also that one should see an endocrinologist--I find that most are geared towards diabetes treatment.frustrating -and possibly expensive-to try to find someone with knowledge about transgendered patients.
I am sure a therapist and MD that are good matches to me are out there-have to persist. thanks, Helenr

You mean to say out of all the Therapist in Colorado I gave you the link to aren't right for you??

4 of them in Denver alone..

Jennifer Anne Blair
Masters Candidate, Clinical Psychology
673 Grant Street
Denver, CO 80203
(720) 570-3682
estrojenn@msn.com

Neil Cannon, MPH, DHS
Doctor of Human Sexuality
222 Milwaukee Street, #103
Denver, CO 80206
(303) 670-5600
www.healingsavants.com
neil@healingsavants.com

Karen Whitfield Scarpella, L.S.W.
2755 S. Locust St. Suite 208
Denver, CO 80222
karenscarpella@comcast.net
(303) 912-6195

Rachael St. Claire, Psy.D.
Licensed Psychologist
1210 E. Colfax Ave, Suite 402
Denver, CO 80218
(720) 220-5770
transgendersoul@mac.com
http://www.transgendersoul.com
Psychotherapy and mental health evaluations for transgendered men and women according to the HBIGDA Standards of Care. Referrals to qualified physicians for hormonal therapy, and genital surgery.

Hope
10-10-2009, 09:30 PM
I have sort of stayed out of this thread, because I have lots of contacts in my area, and it is easy for me to call up Dr. so-and-so and ask him who he refers to for XYZ in the area. Which of course is what I did...

But maybe I should have jumped in sooner - because the point is, that even if you don't like a therapist, or a particular Dr., they have contacts, and colleagues and can refer you to others. If you don't want to ask your therapist to refer you to another therapist, you can certainly ask the endocrinologist your therapist referred you to. Of course it is completely reasonable to have a conversation with your therapist that starts out something along the lines of "Hey, I just don't feel like this relationship is working for me, Can you refer me to one of your colleagues I might click with a bit better?" If you ask, ethically, your therapist is required to refer you.

You mean to say out of all the Therapist in Colorado I gave you the link to aren't right for you??

Rachael St. Claire, Psy.D.
Licensed Psychologist
1210 E. Colfax Ave, Suite 402
Denver, CO 80218
(720) 220-5770
transgendersoul@mac.com
http://www.transgendersoul.com

helenr
10-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi Karen, thanks for the links. it is very thoughtful of you to take the time. I have contacted Rachel as I saw her some years back, but then was told that her Kaiser HMO duties were taking all her time. I femailed her to learn options. I can also contact the others. thanks for your interest. helenr

Karen564
10-10-2009, 11:47 PM
My pleasure Helen,
It was very easy for me, so no problem, now just do me a favor and get in touch with one or all of them if necessary, so you can get what your seeking..
Colorado is very well known for it's many resources & help in the TS community, so if you cant get help there, you never will..if you get my drift..

Good Luck..

akaCathy
10-11-2009, 06:02 AM
Hi Helen,

I found my by searching the provider list for my insurance plan. They listed therapists by specialty and I found mine under gender. I love her and she has been so good. Best of luck.

Hugs,

Cate