PDA

View Full Version : Painted Nails at work

VeronikaDonahue
10-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Recently, for about the last month and a half, I have gone to work with my nails done up. I was nervous about going into work with my nails done, because I had just started the job. The worst I got was a few odd looks. I started out with French tips, that were squared off at the ends. They were nice, but just a bit too long and too square. So I went back to the nail salon, and had them round them off for me. Aah, much better.:) As time went on, and several fills later, the white wasn't looking so good, so I put a pink on my nails, and went to work that way. This past week or so ago, I went back to the salon, and this time took my fiance with me. Together we picked a color, and had my nails squared off again, this time a little shorter than the last time, and the corners rounded just a bit. I am thankful to my fiance, who for the longest time has told me to just be myself, and not make a big deal out of it. The bigger the deal, the more people question you or assume. I go in like it has always been there, and do my job, and come home. Yes people, I walk around in Drab with color on my nails. We like it, and that's all that matters.

sherri52
10-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I always have clear polish on mine. Sometimes I get brave and put on a very light pink, but that's it.

Temptation
10-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Yes people, I walk around in Drab with color on my nails. We like it, and that's all that
where do you work?

DonnaT
10-07-2009, 04:11 PM
I've found OPI's Tutti Frutti Tonga to be barely noticeable at work, or OPI's Significant Other.

And no one has mentioned the polish on my toe nails (nor shaved legs) at the gym where I go swimming every morning.

However, I've notice double takes from some passengers on the subway while reading my paper. :D

But I mostly wear a clear polish.

Rebecca Jayne
10-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Its good for the spirit
Keeps us aligned.

I found some clear polish at wally
Sally Hansen that has a bit of sparkle in it called "Diamonds"
That is very subtle but let you go unnoticed.

Ann Thomas
10-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Lately I've been going without, but for a very long time went with either clear, light pink, light pink with white french tips, or light pink with blue or dark teal french tips. After a while it got to where the ladies at work wanted to see my nail colors every time I redid them - usually twice a week. Tried square cut, square with rounded, and rounded. Ended up with fully rounded being the best for not getting broken as easily.

Ann

gender_blender
10-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Clear top coat doesn't count.

I walk around my professional career federal office with a full set of acrylic nails. I get them refilled almost every weekend and last week I went with some extreme pink/flower designs as opposed to the usual classic french (white tips) or reverse french (black tips).

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l155/gender_blender/photo-1.jpg

This week, mine are light pink with that bright pink as the tip color. I love my versatile acrylic nails!

JustChelsea
10-07-2009, 06:43 PM
i would be more nervous going into a nail salon...going to work with them done is just crazy! but thats just me =/

Charleen
10-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Do my own nails, I like it, keep them LONG, and wear Sally Hansen Bamboo shoot. No one at work has said a word in the three years I've been doing it. Starting tomorrow, I am going to play a character on one of our tours and I did my nails in S.H.'s Royal Romance which is a dark shade of violet. Did it over the summer for the same character and the woman in charge loved it!

SallyjoCD
10-07-2009, 08:13 PM
I used a pale almost clear pink last winter, No one at work seemd to notice.

VeronikaDonahue
10-08-2009, 05:01 PM
where do you work?

I work at Kansas City Art Institute. It is easy money.

Rachel Morley
10-08-2009, 08:28 PM
I always wear shiny clear on my own (fairly long) nails at work. Just lately I've been lamenting to my wife how I have to take off the color I put on during the weekends. She suggested I get my nails painted at a nail salon with an American manicure (similar to French but the tips are ivory not white). She says a American manicure is barely noticeable as it's very natural. Anyway, one day she came home with an American herself. Ok, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "barely noticeable" but it is very natural. I haven't taken up the challenge yet and have stuck with my shiny clear at work and no one has said anything (yet), however your post is making me reconsider. May I should just do it and not make a big deal about it. Did anyone say anything to you, and if they did what was your answer? I unfortunately sometimes have to interact with a bunch of young guys and I need a good retort if they give me a hard time :)

Olivia
10-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Clear top coat doesn't count

Aww shoot..really? Works for me.
:):O

Christina Horton
10-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I had mine painted and long for over a year then just a week and a half I lost my job, so I had to get rid of them to look for work. I found a new job 4 days later and I have not put them back on ......yet. I will tell you I miss them. It feels so weird to not have them. Typing is strange typing with the fingers and not the nails. The only thing that I must say is nice about them now is I can close my fist fully and not have the nails get in the way. That is the only thing that is a good thing about not having them. I so miss them :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :sad: It make me :Angry3::Angry3:

suchacutie
10-08-2009, 10:46 PM
I wear OPI Nail Envy matte finish every day in an ever-more successful attempt to strengthen them after a fungal infection really weakened them. It seems to be working and even though they start matte, a bit of oil or a couple of days gets them rather shiny.

tina

Ann Thomas
10-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Well, gender_blender, clear is what I can get away with in most circumstances - if I had your fabulous looks I'd be wearing colorful nails all the time too! :)

I didn't know the difference between French and American tips. I've done both and prefer the American (off-white tips) because it's draws less attention.

Rachael, I think you ought to try the American tips at work. Overall I've been quite surprised that the younger people (at least where I've lived up until recently) tend to be more open to alternatives. It wasn't long ago that girl pants became popular for guys - my daughter said a couple years ago that half the guys in her school were wearing them. So if you've got a bunch of younger guys around you at work, it might not be as bad as you think. But then again you know them better.

Hugs,
Ann

angpai30
10-08-2009, 11:58 PM
I have only gotten my nails painted twice in my life time and that was from girls I knew!!~~

Hannah

MissyW
10-11-2009, 10:53 PM
OPI Matte Nail Envy every day on fingernails. Toenails are whatever color the wife picks out!

Daphne Renee
10-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Nice.. I do it but normally only clear

sueb5678
10-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Absolutey love spending an hour on my own nails, but would never do it at work

Teri Jean
10-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Veronika, I wear my nails both hands and toes OPI Bogota Blackberry 24-7 and there have been some stares but then I'm a 6-3 transgender female. LOL If they think it's wrong I will do theirs too. Teri