PDA

View Full Version : Visiting the USA

Deborah_UK
10-08-2009, 02:14 AM
I am going to the USA in December (as him :sad: ) for a few days, it'll be my first time over there since 9/11 and I'm aware that all visitors now have their fingerprints taken on arrival.

Does anyone know how, after my transition (looking like Jan 1st now), the Immigration people will deal when I arrive again next year, when they check the fingerprints of the arriving Deborah, with UK passport in the name Deborah, and they get a hit in their records on a male called R****?

Do I need to contact the US Embassy in London before I travel (never an easy task), carry a letter explaining my transition?

Grateful for any advice.

Niya W
10-08-2009, 03:18 AM
Alot of people in the US don't use a carry letter . Do you have a Fem picture on your pass port ? IF not then you might want the carry letter .

Stephenie
10-08-2009, 08:51 AM
It would probably be a good idea to talk with the US embassy before travel. You really have no other way of knowing what to expect. There should be a section that deals with travel.

joanlynn28
10-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Don't know but good place to start would be with the US Embassy. All I know is from my own experience is that when I went overseas for my surgery I was able to have my passport (issued temperary) with the correct gender marker for how I was traveling, female of course. I'm getting my permanent one once I can send in my amended birth certificate. With regards to your fingerprints I don't think it is going to matter when you return on your next visit enfemme. There's probable going to be a record somewhere showing that the prints belong to you wither it's under your male or female name. But it would be good to find out about it first, and same yourself some embarassment later on.

Melissa A.
10-08-2009, 02:43 PM
While I am always an advocate of being prepared, and I think you should do all of the above, mostly because it isn't that hard, and will give you some peace of mind, I doubt that you will have any real problems. If I had to guess, I'd say whoever looks at your crendentials will shrug and send you on your way. They aren't looking for you, and I'm sure they don't care a bit. Transsexuals aren't high on the terrorist profile list.

Hugs,

Melissa:)

Hope
10-08-2009, 04:36 PM
There is honestly no way of predicting how the bureaucracy will behave. You may encounter a reasonable, professional, decent human being at the end of the customs line... or you might encounter one of the folks the US has become internationally known for.

Talking with the embassy is a great suggestion - though it is no guarantee. In any event being armed with the proper information about the proper documentation and proper procedures is always a good idea.

If it helps any, things here have gotten better in the last, say, 8 months than they were for the preceding, say 8 years. But to expect that the damage done in those preceding 8 years is going to be undone in 8 months is folly.

Deborah_UK
10-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Thanks all for your replies.

Unfortunately trying to get to speak to a human being at the US Embassy in London is on a par with finding gold at the end of a rainbow.

I think I'll bring a letter from my GIC next year, hopefully that will work.

Suzy Harrison
10-09-2009, 04:00 AM
Last September I flew over to the US on a male passport and was fingerprinted in the usual way.

This September I flew as a female with a new passport with new name and of course, new female photo (even though the gender on my passport said 'M')

Again, I was fingerprinted and nothing was said. In fact, it was a breeze. As a male travellng on my own I was asked heaps of questions - as a female all I got was " Welcome to the US "