PDA

View Full Version : Idea Of A Gentleman

Frédérique
10-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Hello, dear friends! I’ve come over from the MTF section to submit this thread for your approval…
In the immortal words of Ze, I’m curious – what do you all think about gentlemanly behavior? I don’t mean common courtesy, good manners, or chivalry, I mean the idea of a gentleman.

Way back in 1854 (I know, but bear with me), Cardinal John Henry Newman wrote about the “modern” ideal of manliness:

"It is almost a definition of a gentleman to say he is one who never inflicts pain. This description is both refined and, as far as it goes, accurate. He is mainly occupied in merely removing the obstacles which hinder the free and unembarrassed action of those around him; and he concurs with their movements rather than takes the initiative himself…
The true gentleman in like manner carefully avoids whatever may cause a jar or a jolt in the minds of those with whom he is cast – all clashing of opinion, or collision of feeling, all restraint, or suspicion, or gloom or resentment; his great concern being to make every one at his ease and at home. He has his eyes on all his company; he is tender towards the bashful, gentle towards the distant and merciful towards the absurd; he can recollect to whom he is speaking; he guards against unseasonable allusions or topics which may irritate; he is seldom prominent in conversation and never wearisome.
He makes light of favors while he does them, and seems to be receiving when he is conferring… He never speaks of himself except when compelled, never defends himself by a mere retort; he has no ears for slander or gossip, is scrupulous in imputing motives to those who interfere with him, and interprets everything for the best…
From a long-sighted prudence, he observes the maxim of the ancient sage, that we should ever conduct ourselves towards our enemy as if he were one day to be our friend. He has too much good sense to be affronted at insults, he is too well employed to remember injuries and too indolent to bear malice. He is patient, forbearing and resigned, on philosophical principals; he submits to pain, because it is inevitable, to bereavement, because it is irreparable, and to death, because it is his destiny.
If he engages in controversy of any kind, his disciplined intellect preserves him from the blundering discourtesy of better, perhaps, but less educated minds, who, like blunt weapons, tear and hack instead of cutting clean, who mistake the point in argument… and leave the question more involved than they find it. He may be right or wrong in his opinion, but he is as too clear-headed to be unjust; he is as simple as he is forcible, and as brief as he is decisive.
Nowhere shall we find greater candor, consideration, indulgence; he throws himself into the minds of his opponents, he accounts for their mistakes. He knows the weakness of human reason as well as its strength, its province and its limits. He is a friend of religious toleration, and that, not only because his philosophy has taught him to look on all forms of faith with an impartial eye, but also from the gentleness and effeminacy of feeling, which is the attendant on civilization."

I know what you may be thinking – how can 19th century ideals have relevance in the 21st century? This is what has kept me from submitting this thread, but I thought I would try anyway. Personally, I see a template for behavior that may be appropriate for this site, but I digress…:thinking:
That last part about “effeminacy of feeling” may rankle a few here, but I included it to make a point. Are there any here who wish to be a gentleman? In other words, what is your conception of manliness? When I leave my personal MTF sphere of influence and go drab, I am most definitely striving to be a gentleman, since that “effeminacy of feeling” is always with me. In this regard, you could argue that being a lady or a gentleman is pretty much the same thing – a civilized person with refined sensibilities, acutely aware of others (as well as him/herself) at all times, but it all takes effort.

What do you think? Is gentlemanliness something you avoid, or something to embrace? I’m eager to know. Thanks for reading – I hope my wordiness hasn’t “inflicted any pain” on you…:heehee:

Felix
10-10-2009, 06:14 PM
I like this very much indeed and apart from the fact that it is written with reference to a certain class in society anyone could strive for these values. I have always tried to be a gentleman and I suppose I see alot of myself in here. I am not saying I am perfect I am far from that but I do try to strive for many things that are said here. Thanx for this its given me comfort in the way I think and feel about certain things in life, I can really relate to this :) xx Felix :hugs:

4serrus
10-10-2009, 11:57 PM
Gentlemantly to me is just not being crude. Farting and burping in public is not funny, neither are bathroom jokes. Also, oogle quietly and discreetly.

Uhm, that's about it. I am honestly too tired to put much thought in it but I like to speak up from time to time so people don't think I've died.

Andy66
10-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Those virtues are nice, but I think they should be taken with a grain of salt. There is such a thing as being TOO selfless. Maybe there's a happy medium where a man can show some class without exactly being a doormat.

Felix
10-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Yeah a happy medium is good a door mat is definitely bad !!!!! I will never be one of those ever again!!!!! xx Felix :hugs:

Andy66
10-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Yeah a happy medium is good a door mat is definitely bad !!!!! I will never be one of those ever again!!!!! xx Felix :hugs:
Felix, you're charming and seem like a great guy. You deserve beter than to be a doormat.

It takes a good deal of practice and level-headedness to be kind and strong at the same time. Not too many people can do it successfully. Not too many people even seem to try. The people who DO do it well are spectacular human beings. I'm not sure why exactly, but it seems to me that the wonderful transmen on this website are a higher quality of gentleman than most of their genetic male brothers.

SirTrey
10-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Wow, thank you, Anne....I'm sure I can speak for My transmen brothers when I tell you we appreciate hearing that very much! :love::drink:

Lorileah
10-11-2009, 07:55 PM
To be totally honest I didn't read the whole cut and paste Frederique put up. So thus one strike against me already.

However, I don't think that being a gentleman is difficult. The chivalrous ideal is passe'. Being a gentleman is taught early on. It is something that now parents have foregone so they can enter little Jimmy into "sports" where they have to pay thousands of dollars for outfits that match and the privilege of being on a team ( I must have been in a gang, we wore what we wore and still played sports). BUT (ok slipping out of my skirt here) I was trained to be a gentleman. Not the Colonel Saunders type, but the type that allows people to cross in front of them, opens the door and HOLDS it for someone no matter what age or gender. I take off my hat indoors. I don't take it off when I meet someone like I should but I do stand to greet them. The "Dandies" of 1890 are gone. But being polite and fair, to everyone, should not be. I don't want nor need to emulate the fops. They were very misogynistic and elitist. They did what they did BECAUSE in their minds women and children were less then they were and helpless.

I agree that the Transmen here are a different breed, gentlemen if you like that term, but they are not just that. They are caring and friendly and they are true.

It is one of those terms I think has run its course. Like Crossdresser. It is sexist at least. Could not a woman do all that?

If we must categorize people for being kind, helpful, friendly, caring then lets use a new term...how about human?

Frédérique
10-12-2009, 12:38 PM
It takes a good deal of practice and level-headedness to be kind and strong at the same time. Not too many people can do it successfully. Not too many people even seem to try. The people who DO do it well are spectacular human beings. I'm not sure why exactly, but it seems to me that the wonderful transmen on this website are a higher quality of gentleman than most of their genetic male brothers.

I agree whole-heartedly, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to write something for this section. I must say that, as a male, I run the gamut from brute to gentleman and back again every day. It’s a struggle, to be sure, but I simply observe behavior I admire and try to emulate it as much as possible. It is indeed possible to be too selfless, but kindness and humility are beautiful traits to embrace…

I keep thinking about General Charles Gordon, who died in Khartoum in 1885, as a good example of the kind of Victorian gentleman Cardinal Newman had in mind. I wondered about that, so I looked Gordon up. This led me to the book “Eminent Victorians” by Lytton Strachey, where the general is one of four individuals mentioned. Also noted is a certain Cardinal Manning, who “treated his original mentor Cardinal Newman very unfairly.” It’s a small world, and the world was definitely smaller back then, which may explain a few things…

It is one of those terms I think has run its course. Like Crossdresser. It is sexist at least. Could not a woman do all that?
If we must categorize people for being kind, helpful, friendly, caring then lets use a new term...how about human?

Yeah, I agree. In fact, I was trying to make the point that such behavior exists regardless of gender. For example, I was in Wa Keeney, Kansas one day a few years ago, and I went to a convenience store. There, a woman holding a baby held a door open for me! Maybe I don’t realize how old I look…:heehee:

Ze
10-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Awesome thread idea, Frederique. :)

I take off my hat indoors.

Okay, I don't do that. :heehee:

I don't take it off when I meet someone

Okay, I have been known to do that. :heehee:

I'm not sure why exactly, but it seems to me that the wonderful transmen on this website are a higher quality of gentleman than most of their genetic male brothers.

Now now, Anne, I told you already; none of us guys here have much money. :ner:

:hugs:

but I like to speak up from time to time so people don't think I've died.

:w00t: Serrus ain't dead!

In the immortal words of Ze

Who? :eek:

In this regard, you could argue that being a lady or a gentleman is pretty much the same thing – a civilized person with refined sensibilities, acutely aware of others (as well as him/herself) at all times, but it all takes effort.

I find a gentleman is very much like a lady. Some of the gestures to express the politeness may definitely differ for societal reasons, but I feel they still derive from the same foundation.

What do you think? Is gentlemanliness something you avoid, or something to embrace? I’m eager to know.

Obviously, I embrace it. :) However, my one "issue" with it is just what you said earlier in your post: that it somehow can be seen as "effeminacy." That was my main reason for my thread on being a gentleman: I felt it would harm my passing. It's a weird sort of paradox, but hopefully people get what I'm saying. :lurk: Either way, I feel this ironic fear of "effeminacy" is one of the reasons why gentlemen seem like a dying breed in my generation. It seems fathers in particular are afraid of their boys become gay or whatnot, so they drown them in contact sports and rudeness. (What Lori pretty much already said.) But yeah, big freaking paradox going on here.

Lorileah
10-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Okay, I have been known to do that. :heehee:

you have hair :)

Andy66
10-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I must say that, as a male, I run the gamut from brute to gentleman and back again every day. It`s a struggle, to be sure, but I simply observe behavior I admire and try to emulate it as much as possible.
I try to observe and emulate too. In my early twenties I worked for a very classy group of attorneys. Honest ones, if you can believe it. :eek: Those were my role models.

Off topic, I was under the impression you lived as a female 24/7? (Please ignore me if I'm being too nosey.)

I agree with what you and Ze say, that being a gentleman is much like being a lady. I held a door for a woman once and she jokingly said, "you're such a gentleman." I was surprised to realize I liked being a "gentleman," :heehee:

onerous
10-14-2009, 06:40 AM
All guys are different, and its not nice to say that to be "a real man" a guy has to be gentlemanly and polite to women and whatnot. Just as we cant say some guy is any less of a "real man" because he is gay, enjoys CDing, or was born with a XX female body, we also cant say any guy is less of a "real man" because he farts, burps or hates women. (Plenty of hardcore 'feminists' out there who hate men, does that make them not a "real woman"?) Being a man is what we ourselves define it as, we have no right to challenge how someone identifies. Rude and obnoxious men score less in "gentlemanliness", but really it would be unfair to deduct any points from "manliness".

Same applies to transmen. It is true most of us here are more gentlemanly than the average GM, but thats pretty much due to most of us having been brought up as female, thus the qualities, beliefs, attitudes etc. And having experienced life as a female so more sensitive to their issues and problems faced. But not all of us.

-shrugs- IMO there really is no right way to say how a man "should" behave, because all people's personalities are different and that would just be enforcing one's ideals on the other.

I am one of those non-gentlemanly obnoxious guys.. it's got nothing to do with passing ability (still not out to anyone, and living + looking 24/7 as female).. nothing to do with impressing girls (haven't had a date or a girlfriend my entire life, and not looking), nothing to do with showing off (I'm a loner by nature and don't mix around with peers, male or female), nothing to do with upbringing (very neutral upbringing, not specifically brought up in a male way or a female way, nor a polite or a rude way), nothing to do with financial status (upper middle class but family lives and spends like average/lower middle class). It's simply the way I am, my personality. Would feel very uncomfortable (and quite frankly, annoyed) if asked/expected to open doors or do other such gentlemanly behaviour for anyone. I'm less of a man, then?

(yes this is me benig obnoxiously argumentative and negative as usual - again, just my personality)