PDA

View Full Version : Transgender and Military Organizations

Teri Jean
10-12-2009, 01:35 PM
As many of you know I am transitioning full time as a female and the first week at work was wonderful with plenty of support. But in prepartation for this event I came out to the American Legion both locally and at the district level as I was an officer in both. At the Post level I have been Post Commander and recently Sgt-at-Arms and with the District I was the Sgt-at-Arms and recently Vice Commander. Well with the support of each group I resigned my duties for the good of the order and walked out head high.

Today I recieved a wonderful e-mail from the District Chaplain about doing a piece on Transgenderism and what it means to those who are. Wow!!!!!! He had just done an article on the Muslim holiday Ramandon (sp) as he spent four years in the middle east and experianced it while there. So now with my revelation he is using his office to educate other Veterans on Transgenderism.
I spent the noon hour putting together a little of what I know from my study and therapy sessions to help others understand what this is for those of us who live this life style.

Obviously I'm not authority but am an expert (has been under pressure) who has lived with this for 50 yrs and just recently started to understand what, how, and why. I thought there are so many of us here that this would be of interest. When the article is written and published I will transcribe it here for you all to read and maybe we will break down another barrier for all of us.

Huggs Teri

claire2454
10-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Hi Teri

well i will wait for it to come out and will read with interest, as i am also an ex-military (British army).

i would also like to wish you good luck in your decision to go TG.
i believe you posted a question or statement that you was thinking of going down this path and that your children had been trying to show you the negatives in your desire to become a TG. well teri i do wish you the best and hope all goe's well for you and that you do not encounter hostility along the way.

:love: Claire

AllisonR
10-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Teri, good for you especially with holding your "head high"! I too am in the Legion; Post Adjutant and Finance Officer for the District. So far, only one lady (spouse of one of our members, she is helping me with makeup and skin care products - face is still getting used to shaving after about 35 years of no blade touching my face) but I have to meet with another member and his wife, a widow of one of our members and her daughter & her husband to let them know about me as Allison. They come over to visit, though not as much as before my wife died, and I go over to their houses to visit. I don't want to have to run off and change into boy clothes if I see them in the driveway nor live a falsehood life ONLY as boy-mode with them. Teri, I and your sisters here, wish you GOOD LUCK!!! in your future with your Legion comrades and your family & friends. I am sure that "Allison" will be known to the rest of the Legion Post and if any have problems with it, they can fix that problem themselves in their own mind. If they can't, that is something they have to live with. What I heard from the video (who was it? Grrr, can't remember): "You didn't get my permission to be who you are and I damned well don't need your permission to be who I am" (I hope I quoted that correctly) and it is so true. Keep us up to date, Teri, on what the Chaplain writes up and, again, good luck!

As many of you know I am transitioning full time as a female and the first week at work was wonderful with plenty of support. But in prepartation for this event I came out to the American Legion both locally and at the district level as I was an officer in both. At the Post level I have been Post Commander and recently Sgt-at-Arms and with the District I was the Sgt-at-Arms and recently Vice Commander. Well with the support of each group I resigned my duties for the good of the order and walked out head high.

Today I recieved a wonderful e-mail from the District Chaplain about doing a piece on Transgenderism and what it means to those who are. Wow!!!!!! He had just done an article on the Muslim holiday Ramandon (sp) as he spent four years in the middle east and experianced it while there. So now with my revelation he is using his office to educate other Veterans on Transgenderism.
I spent the noon hour putting together a little of what I know from my study and therapy sessions to help others understand what this is for those of us who live this life style.

Obviously I'm not authority but am an expert (has been under pressure) who has lived with this for 50 yrs and just recently started to understand what, how, and why. I thought there are so many of us here that this would be of interest. When the article is written and published I will transcribe it here for you all to read and maybe we will break down another barrier for all of us.

Huggs Teri

Kaitlin the cd
10-12-2009, 02:27 PM
The Chaplain sounds like a great guy. Im glad hes going to do a piece on transgenderism.

JennyS.
10-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Wow, Teri. I pray that all goes well for you. I look forward to reading the article from the chaplain.

Teri Jean
10-12-2009, 04:33 PM
This afternoon he said he would have it done for the weekend as he has to get it off for print. I did get a glimpse of his material so this should be great. He's a very respected man in the legion and people do listen to him. You think you cannot wait well this girl is antsy as heck.

Thank you and hugs. Teri

vikki2020
10-12-2009, 05:13 PM
No.... Thank YOU, Teri! It's really great that your transition is going so well, and I hope it continues to be all good! I know that you are doing a wonderful job to further our cause!

Teri Jean
10-18-2009, 11:18 AM
I have tried to include the full text for all to read but there must be a time limit and you are closed out. So here is the revised version until I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

The article was written to help members of the American Legion understand "transgender lifestyles". He touched on the headings as follows;
1) What does transgender mean?
2) How do transgender people experience their transgender feelings?
3) Why are some people transgender?
4) How can I be supportive of transgender family members, friends, or significant others?

In short he followed the general understood literature and accepted philosophy. I thought he did a wonderful job and he will always be a friend.

If someone can tell me how to do longer posts without timing out please do so.

Huggs Teri

Marcia Blue
10-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Terri, I am a very slow typist. To post longer posts, I often type the whole thing then, copy and paste it to the forum.

Sarah Doepner
10-18-2009, 12:21 PM
There have been a couple of posts recently about how professional, concerned and up-to-date some military Chaplains have been when confronted by a transgender issue. I'm impressed and wonder if they are just a little ahead of the mainstream clergy how seem, in many cases, to be dragging their feet here. Any ideas?

Teri Jean
10-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Thank you Marcia, I should have thought of that. Dah! LOL The chaplain is in the American Legion and not the military. Having served it does feel a lot like the military in many ways. It take forward thinking men and women are the ones that make change happen. Thanks for the help.

Teri

Kinky with Ink
10-18-2009, 02:13 PM
I can tell you right now the military and Legion are two totally different beasts. I'm glad that the Legion is so accepting but take this from somebody who IS in the US Army.....there is no acceptance of transgenderism at all in the military. If you don't get beat up by your fellow coworkers, then you will be passed over for promotions, awards, schools and generally be shunned. More than likely you will be kicked out which looks horrible on your resume.

Also military chaplains do not have to keep what you tell them to themselves. This goes along with military doctors too. They're just as likely to tell your chain of command as keep it secret.

3 more years and I'll be done though and can be a little more open about myself. Until then it will stay my closely guarded secret.

Teri Jean
10-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Kinky with ink,
Thank you for your service and I wish you the best. I know what you mean when it comes to the military and their stance on everything that is different. You be careful and remember we are free because of you and others sacrifice.

Teri

sherri52
10-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Terri with three yrs Army and 27 air national guard I would like to see the article as well. I'll keep a lookout.

christinek
10-18-2009, 10:31 PM
As an 11 &1/2 year disabled Vet, I see many understanding this as a true soldier position as the lingo lends itself that way. This is a private position isn't? This is not supported by the government directly is it?

Kinky with Ink
10-19-2009, 02:11 AM
No the government will not tolerate any sort of "different" behavior. Now don't get me wrong...the military can be a good thing (job skills) but there comes a time when you just don't want to have to deal with the secrecy anymore. I find myself maintaining this facade every day now.

Guy's in the military are expected to be macho and if you aren't..... The funny thing is I see lesbians all the time in the military and nobody mentions it or bothers them. First time a guy does something out of gender though, it's the end of the world it seems like. What has gotten me by for so long is the fact that I'm bisexual and I am able to go out with the rest of the guys looking to meet women (but they don't know I'm also looking at guys too.) I have also started moving towards more of an effeminate look (tighter cuts in the clothes I wear, etc etc) and play it off as being metrosexual.

President Obama is currently pushing to allow openly homosexual people (don't know how that applies to Transgender people though) into the military. When I see how all homophobic all my friends and coworkers are, it makes me want to hide this part of me even more. Having you ladies to talk to helps loads because I have nobody to talk to about this. Fear of punishment keeps me from talking to a psychologist about this part of me. You can only go so long acting like this side of you doesn't exist.

For those of you who are still in the military like me....I know exactly what you're going through. Having somebody to talk to about how you feel helps so much. With my feminine side coming out so much these days, it helps to talk about my emotions and feelings to other people even if it is on a forum. All of the ladies on this site have been nothing but encouraging and supportive and you have my gracious thanks. I hate having to put up a "show" for the benefit of my job security when that obviously isn't how I feel on the inside.

The military is a great many things, but a place for people like us it is not. That's why I plan on getting out now and finding a less hostile environment to live in. Just remember though, this isn't going to go away for most of us, and the military isn't going to change either. One of you has to go and I would rather it be me, on my own terms and conditions then one of the military's choosing. Thanks for the support my sisters, it means alot to me.

Ann Thomas
10-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Thank you for your very informative posts, Kinky. (I do very much appreciate the whole thread, and all the info about the ex-military, and the upcoming article, etc!) My son is also CD, like me and my father. He's in the guard for now, planning on a career in the Army after he completes ROTC. I am concerned for that side of him, which for now he is completely suppressing. (I went through the same thing in church, though, which I realize was my choice, but it was as oppressive as you describe.) Please keep posting or keep in touch, Kinky, as I'd like to know what the latest is as time goes on, regarding Army attitudes towards dressing.

I do also find it interesting that you say lesbians are pretty much left alone, but I think it was last week an article came out describing how lesbians are by far the most often kicked out of the military for being openly gay. Hopefully Don't Ask Don't Tell will be removed, and more allowances will be given to those that are CD as well.

Thanks again - I really support and appreciate your service!

Hugs,
Ann

SuzanneBender
10-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Thank you for your very informative posts, Kinky. (I do very much appreciate the whole thread, and all the info about the ex-military, and the upcoming article, etc!) My son is also CD, like me and my father. He's in the guard for now, planning on a career in the Army after he completes ROTC. I am concerned for that side of him, which for now he is completely suppressing. (I went through the same thing in church, though, which I realize was my choice, but it was as oppressive as you describe.) Please keep posting or keep in touch, Kinky, as I'd like to know what the latest is as time goes on, regarding Army attitudes towards dressing.

I do also find it interesting that you say lesbians are pretty much left alone, but I think it was last week an article came out describing how lesbians are by far the most often kicked out of the military for being openly gay. Hopefully Don't Ask Don't Tell will be removed, and more allowances will be given to those that are CD as well.

Thanks again - I really support and appreciate your service!

Hugs,
Ann

Ann. 24 years ago I was in your son’s position. I am planning on retiring after my final deployment which is scheduled for next year.
I am an optimist. The winds are slowly changing. The President’s move to abolish don't ask don't tell will help eliminate what I feel is a great disservice to many great Americans that simply want to serve a country that allows them to be who they are.
With that said, I have to answer Kinky's question about will this help Transgender members. Unfortunately, it will not. Being Transgender does not automatically qualify one as gay and the Military realizes this. However, once the Transgender person is outted the military labels the soldier, sailor, marine or airman as having Gender Identity Disorder and typically removes them under a medical discharge. I have also heard stories of them removing military members under the uniform code of military justice for conduct unbecoming, but this is becoming less prevalent.
I do not see the abolishment of don't ask don't tell helping our cause in the short term. In the long term as our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters serve with distinction it is bound to help.
Your son has a choice to make. If he decides to take a commission and serve he will have no choice but to be closeted, but take heart. As you can tell many of us have opportunity to express ourselves without outing ourselves to Uncle Sam.
Kinky is right. It is hard to maintain the balance of serving the military we love and being honest with ourselves. Hopefully one day we can change that. Kinky hang in there. Have faith in the fact as you look around those formations of macho men some are sisters and are wearing frilly things under their uniform.

Teri darling this is where this all comes back to you. Girls like you are the agent of change. It takes so much courage to do what you have done. The loyalty and professionalism that you showed in the way that you are dealing with your coming out to the Legion does a great lot to help our cause. You are an inspiration. You go girl!

Edwina
10-29-2009, 04:09 AM
Congratulations Teri on your courage in being who you want to be. I wish you every happiness for the future.
I apologise if I am going off topic but you did ask about spelling of Ramadan. It is actually not a holiday but a month for all Muslims of total fasting from sunrise to sunset. Not even water! The holiday kicks in after the first sighting of the new moon and there is much feasting and visiting with family and friends over the next two days.
:love:
Edwina

Amymonroe
10-29-2009, 04:57 AM
we seem to both be in the same boat just a few more years. :D