PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Felt There Were Two of You?

Persephone
10-13-2009, 03:17 PM
While posting on another thread, I went searching for a recording of an old song and serendipitously came across this fascinating quote:

"Have you ever felt that there were two of you battling for control of the person you call yourself? Have you ever felt that you weren't quite sure which one you wanted to be in charge? All of us have at least two selves: one who wants to work hard, get good grades, and be successful; and one who would rather lie in the sun and listen to music and daydream. To understand F. Scott Fitzgerald, the man and the writer, you must begin with the idea of doubleness, or twoness."

From FreeEssays.cc's "The Great Gatsby/Super Notes Automatic A+"
(http://www.freeessays.cc/db/18/ecu66.shtml)

Rebecca Jayne
10-13-2009, 03:24 PM
NO!

Wait I didn't say that
you did!

Not me Her!

Karren H
10-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Never.... I wish there were two!! I don't have enough hours in the day and a little extra help would be greatly appreciated!

tricia_uktv
10-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Only two?

Aska
10-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Most people don't ever think about themslves in that manner but yes we all have what you could call people. I know which one I want to have contol but it is not always so clear cut as we think.

People are like the two sides of a coin (one could be good, one could be bad, one a man, one a woman, one meek and affraid, one outgoing and courages). This is the same for everyone even though most people don't think about it like this. Every once in a while there comes one that stands on edge so that both side are equal.

Just my oppinion after having a hard life trying to be the tough macho boy.

PaulaJaneThomas
10-13-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm definitely the only gender-variant badger in the village.

Karen564
10-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Well yeah, sorta, there was my female self always trying to get out and then there was my male self that kept trying to keep her hidden..it was a terrible battle between them two...LOl

Finally my female self won!!!, so thank God that battle is finally over, & just goes to show you Woman really are the stronger sex!!...:D

So now I'm only one, & he's gone!!!, just as it should be..:heehee:

Sherry-Stephanie
10-13-2009, 04:30 PM
More or less yes....one being a male and the other being a female....after all weren't each of us created as a result of a male and female coming together as one doing the "wild thing"....and with each one's own individual contribution we became into existance.

However, we get along very well so there's no conflcit between the two of us....

Joanne f
10-13-2009, 05:51 PM
It`s when you start talking to the other you and the other you answers you back , then you have to start worrying , and what makes it twice as bad is that you have to start worrying for the both of you . :doh:

( i made that 7 you`s and you are worrying about 2 of you. :D

docrobbysherry
10-13-2009, 06:32 PM
But, so far, she NEVER replies!:sad:

However, I find stories about folks' duality, FASCINATING!:eek:

sherri52
10-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Theree are two of me. Sherry and Jerry. Sherry wins:fairy3:

Tina B.
10-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Nope not me, I'm just one person!
Tina
Me neither!
Tina B.

DianneRoberts
10-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Yes we agree there are two of us, but usually just one at a time.

Kaitlin the cd
10-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Kind of. More like there are two completely different sides to me that dont always get along.

Wen4cd
10-13-2009, 09:18 PM
"I am that which is not he, yet we are the same person."

We often look at each other as two separate entities. It helps and confuses all at once. Multiplicity is eversomuch fun.

It gets REAL hairy when you attempt to define either of us. There are two, and there is no easily visible difference, as it has nothing really to do with clothing anymore, but there is still all the difference in the world.

She can say 'he." And he can say 'she." That's just the least of it.

Stacye Rose
10-13-2009, 09:36 PM
We all have two selves. one is the way we perceive ourselves. The other is how we actually are. To the extent those two selves overlap we achieve mental health.:doh::doh::straightface:
Carl Rodgers

Male and female, good and bad, order or chaos. Yin and Yang. One of my profs used to add another thing to this list-being while becoming.

Bethany_Anne_Fae
10-14-2009, 01:45 AM
oh my yes... definitely two in this body.

*hugs*

Zarabeth

Frédérique
10-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Have You Ever Felt There Were Two of You?

Oh, definitely. I don’t believe in astrology, but I’m a Gemini, so I play with the “two selves” idea. The thing is, I was a preemie, so I should have been born under a different astrological sign. Right out of the chute (pardon the pun), I was not who I was supposed to be, not where I was supposed to be, and not when I was supposed to be. Can a baby get a hug? :bighug:

Anyway, I battle between the two selves on a daily basis. I never had many friends, so I developed another “self” to talk to when I was lonely. As time went on, this developed into a female version of me, and the boundary between the two sides got more and more blurred. I can be one or the other, even within a written sentence – I change my mind a lot, which really hinders the decision-making process, but I wouldn’t have it any other way…:argue:

Farrah
10-14-2009, 12:45 PM
I would to say yes. Simply because the things my femme persona does, I would never do. The lady in me drinks, casually of course, but I do drink mixed drinks. However as a male, i do not drink at all. My femme persona would love to go out and party, and everybody that knows me as male, knows that Im really anit social. However, Farrah hasnt had a chance to really go out and party, but she's hoping she can soon. Yes I think that we are two people a since.

ArleneRaquel
10-14-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm just one person. Arlene 24/7 :)

Jeanna
10-14-2009, 12:52 PM
You are never alone when you are schizophrenic.:kickbutt:

Starr
10-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Sometimes I feel like there is no me. I mean the male side which really isn't me and the female side that I have to keep hide from so many people.

Charleen
10-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Under all the masks I have to wear throughout the day, Lily is behind them all.

Wen4cd
10-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Oh, definitely. I don’t believe in astrology, but I’m a Gemini, so I play with the “two selves” idea. The thing is, I was a preemie, so I should have been born under a different astrological sign. Right out of the chute (pardon the pun), I was not who I was supposed to be, not where I was supposed to be, and not when I was supposed to be. Can a baby get a hug? :bighug:

Anyway, I battle between the two selves on a daily basis. I never had many friends, so I developed another “self” to talk to when I was lonely. As time went on, this developed into a female version of me, and the boundary between the two sides got more and more blurred. I can be one or the other, even within a written sentence – I change my mind a lot, which really hinders the decision-making process, but I wouldn’t have it any other way…:argue:

Hearing you describe it, it's like there's two of us :hugs:

Except, I was way late, and not a premie. I had to be cut out because I wouldn't be born.

Eleanor M
10-14-2009, 03:26 PM
I have my good and evil selves, with my good side more or less in charge.

victoriamwilliams1
10-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Well at times when I dress I have to struggle to return to boy mode. When dressed I am completely different than the guy to the point where I feel very comfy as a woman as if I have been a woman all my life. Well since age 5 I have been dressing.

For me I think it is because I have been a part time girl since age 5 and when I dress it is a way for me to escape my stress in my male life and become someone else. If you ask me in girl mode how does it feel to be a guy I honestly can not tell you. I was thinking about that the last time I had a big outing and I personally could not tell you. I could tell you how it fells to me me as a woman:)

Just my 2 cents

Samantha43
10-14-2009, 03:40 PM
No, just one.......I don't think I could handle two of me. :D

Sam-antha
10-14-2009, 05:37 PM

Frequently, but only in one case, only one at a time .

Sometimes. the "for real" one can just about support the competition.
On the other hand, the femm one completly ignores the possible the existence of the "for real" one.

~Samm

aggi123
10-14-2009, 07:02 PM
I have an identical twin brother. There are two of me =P

But seriously, sometimes I find myself struggling trying to identify as one person. I've always been labeled as two since people can't tell me and my brother apart and lump us as one together, "twin". I hate that word. Example, there are two twins in my graduating class. The number 2 was to describe 4 people. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one that feels this way.

I used to have two sets of emotions to portray depending on which mode I am in. But, I have since changed to just using my more feminine emotions all the time. I'm a lot happier this way.