PDA

View Full Version : It's Wet Out There!

Persephone
10-14-2009, 03:25 PM
It's raining in SoCal. I had an appointment with my æsthetician to have my brows done and decided to be a bit bold, wearing the outfit in the photo, cable knit tunic, "wet look" leggings, and high heeled boots. For the first time in a visit to her shop, I wore a bra and forms (although a cup size smaller than I am normally).

Along with my æsthetician, I chatted with the receptionist and two of the manicurists who I know (which, I am certain, also means my regular manicurist, who works at a different shop, is also going to get told. Oh well).

As usual, those who know there is "a guy" under the outfit didn't say one nice woman-to-woman thing, no "you look cute!" nor "nice boots" nor anything else, even after I made the appropriate compliments on their outfits.

One of the beauticians who has seen me around, but who may or may not know if I'm male or female, immediately said, "You look great!"

That cone of silence really bothers me.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/Raining.jpg

Talon DeRojo
10-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Persephone - It's sort of disappointing that those serving your feminine persona, with the exception of the beautician, can't find it within themselves to verbally acknowledge your femme side. At least they're willing to perform their services, but given that level of comfort/acceptance, it seems odd that they say nothing.
Talon:)

dilane
10-14-2009, 06:37 PM
It's raining in SoCal. I had an appointment with my æsthetician to have my brows done and decided to be a bit bold, wearing the outfit in the photo, cable knit tunic, "wet look" leggings, and high heeled boots. For the first time in a visit to her shop, I wore a bra and forms (although a cup size smaller than I am normally).

As usual, those who know there is "a guy" under the outfit didn't say one nice woman-to-woman thing, no "you look cute!" nor "nice boots" nor anything else, even after I made the appropriate compliments on their outfits.

One of the beauticians who has seen me around, but who may or may not know if I'm male or female, immediately said, "You look great!"

That cone of silence really bothers me.

Hmm, maybe it's time to break in another shop? I don't have as much experience with beauticians as you -- at my nail shop, my vietnamese-american manicurist was silently amazed/aghast at first, but eventually came around to femme chit-chat and niceties. I like to think I would move on if I received the dreaded Max Smart "cone of silence".

Persephone
10-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Persephone - It's sort of disappointing that those serving your feminine persona, with the exception of the beautician, can't find it within themselves to verbally acknowledge your femme side. At least they're willing to perform their services, but given that level of comfort/acceptance, it seems odd that they say nothing.
Talon:)

Hmm, maybe it's time to break in another shop? I don't have as much experience with beauticians as you -- at my nail shop, my vietnamese-american manicurist was silently amazed/aghast at first, but eventually came around to femme chit-chat and niceties. I like to think I would move on if I received the dreaded Max Smart "cone of silence".

I appreciate what y'all are saying, but I have great top notch professionals working on me (not just because I'm worth it, but because I need all the help I can get! :) ) and I would be reluctant to give them up.

I did not mean to suggest that our interactions are completely under the dreaded "cone of silence," far from it. Our chatter is definitely girl talk, including gossip. Only the compliments seem to get overlooked and I find that to be pretty much universally true.

I'm used to complimentary trades when women perceive me as another woman. In addition to friends, I've had random strangers compliment my choice of jewelry or shoes or whatever, just as I have complimented theirs. It is a common female courtesy, even among strangers. (Something that I think hardly ever occurs in boy world, unless you drive a Bugatti Veyron).

I think this is a generic - noone thinks you're pretty if you're a guy, even a guy wearing a designer dress and Louboutin heels.

But if they think you're another woman, then it's a different story.

docrobbysherry
10-14-2009, 08:28 PM
It was downrite GNARLY this AM in SoCal! We must have had nearly a 1/4 " of rain last nite! And it was still coming down during the morning commute!:eek:

This ALWAYS causes panic here. Because many don't know what it IS!:brolleyes:

However, it all dried up by 11:00 AM. Back to "boring" again!:devil: