PDA

View Full Version : Hurray for college!

gretchen_love
10-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Hey all! Long time no see. It is the time of the year where I'm at school and have no free time, so its good to get back on the site and see all your lovely faces. I am taking a class called Anthropology and Gender this term, and have a paper to write.

Surprisingly, I chose to write the paper on us, crossdressers. I am also looking at traditional societies where crossdressing occurred, and even at cultures where there are more than two genders.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any sources about this that might help me. Thanks!

Julieanne
10-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Sorry I don't have help to offer but I'd love to read your paper when you're done.

cd_jamie
10-15-2009, 08:57 PM
i believe india has a 3rd gender hyjira and the sommoian fafa fene are considered 3rd gender.... hope this helps give you a place to start your reaserch

KristalKay
10-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Native American culture has them. I've taken only one anth. class, but plenty of gender classes in poli. sci. Usually crossdressers are not an in-depth study for gender in that field, most of it is lumped into LBGT. Philo. does better with its gender writings, you should read some feminist ethics.

cdbrandi
10-15-2009, 09:23 PM
look at the Native American Indian tribes from the plains/ southwest area. I remember reading somewhere (research in college) that some of the tribes from that area had crossdressers.

Edit to add:

Looks Like KrystalKay beat me to the punch.

5150 Girl
10-15-2009, 09:29 PM
1/4 Apachi here...
Anywho, it comes to my attention, that in Native american culture the transgenderd are looked upon as being the perfect mate, because we're in touch with both sides of our soul.

Butterfly Bill
10-15-2009, 10:16 PM
look at the Native American Indian tribes from the plains/ southwest area. I remember reading somewhere (research in college) that some of the tribes from that area had crossdressers.

Go ogle the words "berdache" and "two spirited".

Kitty Sue
10-15-2009, 10:29 PM
I would also look at some of the Polynesian societies too.

rachael.davis
10-16-2009, 08:48 AM
This should give you a good start
http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Flesh-Diversity-American-Culture/dp/0807046159

Michelle S
10-16-2009, 03:12 PM
So, if you use any of the suggestions here are you going to cite CD.com in your paper?

CamilleLeon
10-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Look into Southeast Asia...I think Vietnam in particular

JennyS.
10-16-2009, 03:19 PM
So, if you use any of the suggestions here are you going to cite CD.com in your paper?

Good point!

Also, I seem to remember seeing a documentary about select Samoan's being raised crossgendered. The selected were raised as girls, but were in fact male. It's been a while since I've seen the story, but the 'grandma' was crossgendered. I wish I remember the term they used.

Good luck with your paper.

Kate Simmons
10-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Damn, this is almost as bad as yahoo answers. Do your own homework Gretchen. Besides I couldn't seem to get past that nice cleavage.;):battingeyelashes::)

gretchen_love
10-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice! I am thinking about citing the site as a source, but I'm gonna ask my teacher if she will take this site as an academic source. I have some books now and a few websites. If anyone want to read the finished result, let me know!

Paula_56
10-18-2009, 10:34 AM
I would interview and quote a transgendered person you know that being yourself Grethchen! Without outing yourself, unless you want to.