PDA

View Full Version : My First M.A.C. experience

NathalieX66
10-17-2009, 10:40 AM
I read Karren Hutton's post 'Snubbed at Ulta', and I can definitely say that my experience at MAC today was quite the opposite.

I had a feeling that this was going to be a cinch as soon as I walked in. I told the girl there that I wanted a foundation match, etc. and she enthusiastically responded "oh, have a seat!....you want heavy coverage, right?" It wasn't a makeover per se, but she tried a couple of different types of studio fix fluid, and matched me. I had her try me on on a few other things like mineralize skin finish (setting powder), rouges, and I walked out of there having spent just over $100 for no less than five items with the guilty felling of having spent so much. But all in all, I would say the girl at MAC was cool, helpful, and extremely professional, and seemed rather accustomed to such requests.

msginaadoll
10-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I love MAC and there sales associates. They have always been helpful!

Kiera79
10-17-2009, 10:57 AM
What is M.A.C.? A local store for you all in the detroit area?

Elaine Michelle
10-17-2009, 11:00 AM
That's great Nathalie.

I've heard nothing but good things about MAC.

A few more encouraging posts like yours, and maybe I will actually get up the nerve to try it myself.

Or, maybe not. Ha ha! My courage to try a makeover changes from day to day.

Take care.

Elaine

Sherry-Stephanie
10-17-2009, 11:16 AM
That's pretty much the experience I ahd several weeks ago at Ulta...so it's a matter of hititng it right regardless of where one goes.

I went back to Ulta to replace the concealer I had gotten since on of my pups decided to use it as a chew toy...and there was a different SA that approached me rather than one of the others and asked me what I was looking for....she first asked me if it was for my wife and I told her no it was for me...I dress...and she didn't even flinch or bat an eye over the "it's for me"...it was I was just another customer in her eyes...now what she might have thought who knows....well only she knows but we chatted for a few minutes about some other stuff noot realted to dressing cosmetics etc so if she wasn't OK with me and what I do then she sure did a great job of masking it.....

But one day I'll do the MAC counter as well....interested in what they have to offer.....and I know they tend to be very "edgy" so I'm not expecting any problems there as well....

Misty G
10-17-2009, 11:24 AM
I love going to the MAC studios and their make-up is the greatest

NathalieX66
10-17-2009, 11:33 AM
But one day I'll do the MAC counter as well....interested in what they have to offer.....and I know they tend to be very "edgy" so I'm not expecting any problems there as well....

"Edgy"? Was the billboard-sized 'Dame Edna Collection' advert campaign last year not the giveaway?
:battingeyelashes:

Melissa_Z
10-17-2009, 11:38 AM
I told the girl there that I wanted a foundation match, etc. and she enthusiastically responded "oh, have a seat!....

But all in all, I would say the girl at MAC was cool, helpful, and extremely professional, and seemed rather accustomed to such requests.

My experience was very similar. Their motto is something like "all ages, all races, all genders ..." and by many accounts they do a good job of making it a true part of their corporate culture.

Pricey stuff ... but worth it :)

What is M.A.C.? A local store for you all in the detroit area?

Kiera, MAC is a big name Dept. Store cosmetics brand. They have counters in Macys stores as well as standalone MAC shops. They are all over the country. Their web-site has a store locator.

Stacye Rose
10-17-2009, 06:05 PM
I have my first MAC makeover scheduled for the 24th. I'm really looking forward to it.

Rachel_Red
10-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Thats funny to hear so much good stuff about MAC. My fiance stated that that was going to be the main brand that would work for me and all of you are saying the samething. Haha she deffently knows her makeup!

Mirani
10-17-2009, 06:13 PM
In the UK they charge £25 for a full makeover (eyes only + nil!).. BUT you get the £25 back on purchases. I have had it a few times. When I need makeup, I never lose the opportunity for an instore makeover. I ALWAYS am received with warmth, care, attention, kindness and a terrific makeover! (and walk out with lipstick, false eyelashes and blusher!).

I LOVE MAC.

NathalieX66
10-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention that MAC insists on putting you on their mailing list when you buy from them....which is a reason to come back when they have specials. All you are is a face to put makeup on when you walk in there, they don't care who you are.

sherri52
10-17-2009, 07:24 PM
I still believe it is the men who give us a hard time. The women always seem to let things go and carry on as if we were any lady wanting service.

Jessica Who
10-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Awesome! Glad to hear and thanks for sharing :)

EmilyM
10-18-2009, 12:00 AM
I went to the MAC counter tonight at Nordstroms in Perimeter mall, the manager Faith did a mini-makeover on me. She did a smokey eye, lashes, and a very pretty neutral lip. One of the other girls at the counter was thrilled to work on me too. Both were totally kewl and we had a blast. I love MAC and will shop at this counter as well as the MAC store.

tamarav
10-18-2009, 10:23 AM
MAC stands for Makeup Artist Cosmetics. It is a makeup company that provided makeup to the film and stage industry for a period and then found that consumer sales made a lot more money. They created the aura that they now have and have capitalized on it.

I work with and have trained a number of MAC makeup artists and have only met one that was adverse to working on men. We changed her point of view in short order.

All makeup artists view makeup as their art form and are simply looking for a canvas to express their talent. We love to see men that make an effort to look feminine. It is the guys that come in with a two day beard growth and wearing sweaty work clothes that can turn off anybody, although I have seen MAC artists sell foundation, mascara, and many skin care itmes to just such guys.

So, if you are going to pop into a MAC counter for an impromptu makeover, please be prepared for the experience.