PDA

View Full Version : Explaining Myself

Ashley Williams
10-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Explaining myself
I know there are lots of posts already that deal with what we call ourselves and how we present what and why we behave as we do, but this is for a rather specific purpose. I would welcome any comments, of course.

I am preparing for my first 'Relate' counselling session with my wife this weekend and I thought I should do some preparation.

As I wanted to find something that was generally accessible and objective to describe what I do (before we try to get onto why) I did the usual searches and found the usual confusing contradictions, both within and outside of the forums.

Two years ago, when I first revealed that my need to cross-dress had returned, the information I unearthed for her had all been deemed as not objective enough to be taken seriously. It has been kept, though, so that may be a good sign.

Either things have moved on a bit since or I have just been a bit luckier digging out the serious from the silly on the internet. The following comes from the UK Health Service document that deals with the management of 'trans service users' - the novo-speak term for patients - and staff.

Transvestite people (TVs) enjoy wearing the clothing of the ‘opposite’ sex for short periods of time. They are generally men who started cross-dressing as they entered puberty. Their sense of female identification can range from being very strong and indeed, their ‘real’ selves, to being only a part of their identity – they may identify for example as ‘bi-gendered’.

Transvestite people (now also referred to as cross-dressers) do not seek gender reassignment; however, they and their families may present [to medical practitioners] with stress and anxiety-related problems including depression or suicidal feelings, or simply needing support and advice. At present there is no means of estimating this potentially unmet need.

As they get older, some transvestite people may decide that they are in fact transsexual and will proceed to living permanently in their new gender role. Others are happy to continue ‘dressing’ part-time for the rest of their lives. Some transsexual people may also seek to accommodate their feelings by experimenting with whether occasional cross-dressing is sufficient to avoid the upheaval of permanent gender transition.

An understanding of how boundaries may be blurred in these ways is important in order to understand the variations in personal expression and the paths individuals may have followed.

Transgender people:
Transgender is used as a very broad term to include all sorts of trans people. It includes cross-dressers, people who wear a mix of clothing, people with a dual or no gender identity, and transsexual people. It is also used to define a political and social community which is inclusive of transsexual people, transgender people, cross-dressers (transvestites), and other groups of ‘gendervariant’ people such as drag queens and kings, butch lesbians, and ‘mannish’ or ‘passing’ women. ‘Transgender’ has also been used to refer to all persons who express gender in ways not traditionally associated with their sex. Similarly it has also been used to refer to people who express gender in non-traditional ways, but continue to identify as the sex of birth. Nowadays, many people who present their gender in a variety of ways which are at odds with the norm will consider themselves to be transgender.

Equally, some may just describe themselves as men or women.

That last sentence just kills me!

The best 'non-objective', (from my wife's point of view), alternative was posted by a friend on a related thread from last year -

I like the word Bigendered to describe my personality. In this way I am "mildly gender dysphoric" but happy to live as a male for some or most of the time. I have to say that I sometimes feel internally feminine when in drab and internally masculine when dressed en femme though the latter is very rare and will only happen after a prolonged femme session of several days or so.

The only issue I have with this is that the bi prefix itself can so easily be abused - but hell ... language will always be something of a limitation.

The other thing I would add is that in my own case I am much happier to live as a male most of the time in situations where I can wear female underwear. This does not include home, at the moment, because the mere suggestion of a slip strap is cause for argument.

This last point will add nothing to the debate within the counselling environment anyway, I fear, because my wife says that she sees no difference in her mind between underwear and fully presenting en femme.

Roll on Saturday!

Shari
10-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Counseling is a good start, but so many here feel obsessed with the fact that they just have to label themselves and come up with reasons why they dress.

There is no reason except that we have a desire and need.
There is no label.
One size does not fit all.

The sooner you and so many other troubled souls accept that, the happier you'll be.

Like I've written so many times in the past.
I'm okay.
You're okay.

Tina B.
10-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Some people need labels, some people need to obsess on the why of it all, but none of that seems to have much effect the need to do it. As far as you and your wife, finding acceptance is really the only goal that counts, and I wish you the best of luck at that.

mklinden2010
10-22-2009, 07:33 PM
I see no point in trying to explain everything in the world.

Trying to answer all the questions in the world is a big waste of time - and energy.

Narrow it down some.

"I'm aware of all this stuff out there. I've done my homework. So many variations on a theme. But, this is just me and this is what "I" do.

I like it; I like it in my life; I function better with it that without it. If I have "a problem," then I am highly functional with the problem.

It's not damaging my liver, I'm not so addicted to it that I can't take out the trash, and, frankly, aside from all the arguing that seems to be going on, it's not really much of a problem to have.

Nobody's perfect. Give me a break. What else would you like to talk about today? Nice weather for October, don't you think?"

It's been noted a million times by now that CDing will not destroy a good relationship or help a bad one. This is what you're doing today... Who can say anything about what anybody is going to do next year? For example, someone you know who seems happily married today may be cheating on their spouse by next year. Sometimes things change, sometimes they don't. You can only take it a day at a time.

You wear skirts and dresses. Big deal. If half the people on the planet are women, all you're doing is shifting the numbers so that now more than half the people on the planet wear "women's" clothes.

Does it matter?

Not to that speeding meteor that is going to destroy the planet in 27 seconds.

26, 25, 24....

CherylFlint
10-22-2009, 08:15 PM
So you enjoy dressing and acting the role of the opposite sex. And? Big deal. Not enough to make an issue out of. Just accept it. There's no "cure", it's who you are (or half of who you are, depending). Anyway, rather than to spend the time and the money to search for the "why" and do the "blame game", get dressed, get out of the house and go and have a good time. Have some laughs. Lighten up. Enjoy yourselves.

sterling12
10-22-2009, 08:50 PM
I don't think you will need to "label" or explain yourself....or, "what you do."

My experience with Counselors and The Psych. Community in general, is that they will give you a label that THEY have determined. It probably won't have much of anything to do with how you feel, but that usually is not important to them.

I'm surprised you were kind of giggling at The Transgendered Definition, it sounds like it certainly includes yourself when it addresses people whom are bi-gendered. You liked your friend's definition which basically described that very same phenomena.

Oh well, good luck your going to need it. Hope you get a person to Counsel who is experienced with TG People. Get The Wrong Person....your in for a very long afternoon.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Satrana
10-22-2009, 11:01 PM
The thing about labels is that there are an important part of communication so you cannot avoid them while talking to others. It is important that you do not allow labels to define yourself, only you know what this means to you and don't let others persuade you otherwise.

Given that labels are unavoidable, I have always thought that it is best to use them to my advantage. I don't like using labels like TV and CD because they have an existing negative connotation which makes your job that much harder. I think it is better to use a term that promotes a more open minded approach from others.

This is why I call myself a tomgirl. The reason I do is society is aware and comfortable with the notion of tomboys. They know that this does not indicate transexuality or homosexuality nor is it considered a perversion. By saying I am the mirror image of a tomboy I immediately get across important ideas that this is not really a weird thing at all and it is not a big deal since it is just harmless self-expression.

Use your own labels to your own advantage. Connect what you do and feel to existing accepted norms to allay irrational fears.

Jamie001
10-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Actually the correct version of TomBoy would be JaneGirl. I also like the term NancyBoy.

The thing about labels is that there are an important part of communication so you cannot avoid them while talking to others. It is important that you do not allow labels to define yourself, only you know what this means to you and don't let others persuade you otherwise.

Given that labels are unavoidable, I have always thought that it is best to use them to my advantage. I don't like using labels like TV and CD because they have an existing negative connotation which makes your job that much harder. I think it is better to use a term that promotes a more open minded approach from others.

This is why I call myself a tomgirl. The reason I do is society is aware and comfortable with the notion of tomboys. They know that this does not indicate transexuality or homosexuality nor is it considered a perversion. By saying I am the mirror image of a tomboy I immediately get across important ideas that this is not really a weird thing at all and it is not a big deal since it is just harmless self-expression.

Use your own labels to your own advantage. Connect what you do and feel to existing accepted norms to allay irrational fears.

Satrana
10-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Actually the correct version of TomBoy would be JaneGirl. Actually no. The word tomboy comes from old English where the Tom part is slang for soldier (Tommy), it does not refer to the male pronoun. So it really means soldier-boy. A counterpart would be something like ballerina-girl.

I also like the term NancyBoy. I don't, that has the same negative connotations as Sissy. I will stick with tomgirl because laypersons can easily understand that to be the direct counterpart of tomboy. There is less explaining to do and less prejudice to counteract.

ReineD
10-24-2009, 02:36 AM
If the people you are seeing this weekend insist on a single word label to describe you, you could tell them that definitions change frequently as more TGs come out of the closet and join internet sites where they are encouraged to explore themselves. Furthermore, within each label there are dozens of subtle differences based on the TG's variances who largely fit within that label. Tell them that a label is meaningless and instead prepare a four or five line paragraph that describes where you are with regards to the Cding, your sexuality, and where you think it is going or where you want it to go.

Samantha Kelsey
10-24-2009, 03:09 AM
Labels don't express the differences in each one of us so why use them. Just refer to yourself as a PERSON. This is the only true fact and your name is your label. This way you won't be any different to the next PERSON except for your chosen name. Simples eh?

Ashley Williams
10-24-2009, 06:49 AM
Thanks everyone.

I agree with pretty well everything said - and in fact the counsellor appeared to know very little anyway - so took it all from basics.

Hard session though - and it will only get harder.

Sally24
10-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Transvestite people (TVs) .......They are generally men who started cross-dressing as they entered puberty

(Crossdressers) 'are generally men who started cross-dressing as they entered puberty.' I'm not sure where this idea came from - most people on this site first cross-dressed before the age of nine, and this seems fairly typical of cross-dressers in general. I suspect an attempt by whoever wrote that definition to associate cross-dressing with sexual activity.
They are technically right because Transvestite generally is tilted towards the sexual fetish dresser. That's why most of us don't use that outdated term anymore.

I don't mind lables because it's shorthand in our languages. You could spend 10 minutes explaining your background and history to someone else so they would know where you're coming from. Or you could just say "I'm transgendered and I cross-dress off and on".

Prepare yourself well but don't get your hopes up. If she doesn't differentiat between wearing panties and being fully dressed then she has a real problem with any kind of gender issues! Do what you can to explain how you feel and try to remain calm no matter what she says.

Good luck!