PDA

View Full Version : noone cares

stacy-marie hanna
10-22-2009, 09:05 PM
sorry for the misleading title but i couldnt think of another way to sum up the end of this week.

since tuesday after spending the weekend crossdressed in london i got to thinking about how i could incorperate an aspect of my dressing into my work uniform.

as i work for a supermarket i cant add anything to the stores uniform and im not ready to ask for a skirt to wear to work yet.i decided on trying on getting away with using a little makeup.

i decided to go for wearing light foundation and black mascara(would have painted nails but i often bite them) which helps to bring out my already stunning eyes(their pale blue with a dark grey speckle and are always very bright and shiny)

well its been 3 days of wearing make up to work and excuse the pun but noone seems to have batted an eyelid over me wearing makeup although it may be for the fact ive been working partly alone with limited facetime with collegues.

today(fri)is my last working day this week lets see if anyone notices.

stacy-marie

Diane Elizabeth
10-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Maybe those that notice (usually females) are too polite to say anything.

Bobbie Bee
10-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Oh, believe me, they are talking. Behind your back, but they are talking. Trust me.

carolinoakland
10-22-2009, 09:36 PM
so let me get this straight ( no pun intended ), are you trying to come out or not? What is the end result you were hoping for here? You really don't want to try and 'play' around with your source of employment. Sorry, I don't want to sound harsh and all, just want you to not do things under the influence of the pink fog... and get in over your head. carol

stacy-marie hanna
10-23-2009, 05:15 AM
well firstly i am straigt so theres no comming out there.
secondly some people like my parents/sisters/best friends and half the people i play with on xbox know i dress(i have the live vision camera)
theres nothing in the company guidelines that says i cant wear makeup as long as it isnt too o.t.t,so i couldnt go all gothed up or wear fire engine red lippy but other than that they cant stop me.ive made no alterations to my uniform except for a charity badge from the s.o.p.h.i.e/bizarre magazines proud to be different campain(search myspace for inmemoryofsophie)which is ok seems as they allow cancer awareness and help the aged badges so why not for a charity/good cause that supports acceptance for subcultures(goths,emos,cds,trans etc)ive always been proud to be different(ok i describe myself as a freak) but after 12 years of bullying at school/college/work i really dont care what people think of me,ive developed an unbreakable metal block for all the negative and let positive energies flow freely into my spirit.

stacy-marie

Karren H
10-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Yeah!!! I wear makeup all the time and feminine accents to my male clothing... Everyone's lives are so busy that they don't have time to worry about what you or I wear..

Barbara918
10-23-2009, 09:30 AM
As someone much wiser than I once said, "You wouldn't worry so much what people think about you if you knew how seldom they do."

Laura_Stephens
10-23-2009, 09:33 AM
I regularly wear very light makeup to work. Light enough such that it is very hard to notice. I was asked about it one time and I immediately said that I was scheduled to do a TV interview later that day -- which was true.

Michelle-Leigh
10-23-2009, 10:58 AM
I just wear light mascara to work; my lashes are so small that it just makes them look normal !

Sara82
10-23-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm a huge proponent of self expression, being yourself, and not conforming, especially in a work environment. Unfortunately that attitude doesn't always allow you to climb the ladder.

If you plan to make a career out of your job, then just be a bit careful on how you present yourself, especially if your co-workers and supervisors know you one way, and are seeing this change. It may have the potential to hinder your progress. It's a sad truth, but people are judgemental, and breaking gender barriers aren't acceptable by most people.

Of course if you don't care about the job, and don't plan on staying, then I say go for it, use the opportunity to express yourself, and be more comfortable being yourself in the real world.

Jamie001
10-23-2009, 11:16 AM
This is good advice however I would recommend taking it one step further and only dressing or wearing fem items when you are not at work. When you are not at work, the company that you work for doesn't own your time and you are free to do as you wish. When you are at work, it is best to abide by company dress code.

I'm a huge proponent of self expression, being yourself, and not conforming, especially in a work environment. Unfortunately that attitude doesn't always allow you to climb the ladder.

If you plan to make a career out of your job, then just be a bit careful on how you present yourself, especially if your co-workers and supervisors know you one way, and are seeing this change. It may have the potential to hinder your progress. It's a sad truth, but people are judgemental, and breaking gender barriers aren't acceptable by most people.

Of course if you don't care about the job, and don't plan on staying, then I say go for it, use the opportunity to express yourself, and be more comfortable being yourself in the real world.

Laura_Stephens
10-23-2009, 11:58 AM
BTW, if one wants to wear very light makeup to work and not be noticed, I use Clinique city Base Foundation -- easy to use and it doesn't look like one is made up.

sandra-leigh
10-23-2009, 03:30 PM
When you are at work, it is best to abide by company dress code.

I specifically checked. My company dress code says that
A) I cannot wear clothes that are inappropriate for the job being done ("inappropriate" essentially means "unsafe" in this context); and
B) That I must wear all mandatory protective equipment if I am doing work for which protective equipment is required.

I confirmed with HR specifically that cross-dressing would be completely within the dress code for the kind of work I do.

However, there is of course a big difference between "The organization allows this and would defend me against overt criticism, including attempting sensitivity training" and "The organization promises that this would not negatively affect executive decisions that impact my career".