PDA

View Full Version : What have I done? I need help!

Michelia
10-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Ladies, I am in need of some encouragement. I figured if I posted here I would have to go through with my plans or else face the public consequences!

Can you believe I signed up for these sewing classes in a very conservative area outside the city? I am to start tonight with 7 other ladies in the class. The owner of the sewing shop has been unbelievable cool and so have all her staff.

It is all part of my effort to get out more and do things enfemme other than shop. Of course, for those of you that do not know, I do not pass at all.

I am now very nervous and did not sleep well last night. The classes are paid for and they are non-refundable. The funny thing is that I have been looking forward to today all week. But I am presently having the last minute jitters big time. I need your help and advice! Please!

Wen4cd
10-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Sewing is one of life's joys. I sew all my own girl clothes.

Go for it!

Rebecca Jayne
10-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Michelia, if you want to learn how to sew, cool, its a real craft and whats wrong with that. What little I know about sewing I learned from both my parents and its a hell of a lot more than most men, my big trouble is arthritis hinders the small instruments used.
If you are not comfortable going out fem dress down and maybe nest class you will feel more comfortable with your classmates.
In this era, anyone can do anything, and isn't that wonderful.

I'm excited for you. Soon you will be making skirts and blouses.

I'm a 2xl top xl skirt I like rose patterns to.

sterling12
10-23-2009, 11:34 AM
If The Owner and Staff are "cool" about it, what's to worry? If they haven't been told about your participation, then The other ladies are going to have something new to deal with....that's all!

I will assume you are going to do this en femme, or you wouldn't be worried about it. There are a lot of Bachelor's who could, and should take a sewing class; so if your not going as your gurl-self there would not be a problem that I could imagine.

Be A Lady, conduct yourself with poise and dignity, be friendly but not overly friendly, act like you "belong."

Your going to be fine! Wait until you start taking more advanced classes...pretty soon you'll be good enough to sew your own Wedding Dress.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Karren H
10-23-2009, 11:39 AM
If anyone aslks.. Tell them you lost a bet. Lol.

Laura_Stephens
10-23-2009, 11:49 AM
According to former NFL star, Rosey Greer, sewing and cross stitching is 100% Ok for men to do.

brenda lynn mwe
10-23-2009, 11:56 AM
I say go for it you want regret it . theres not to many people in life that will even try to learn how to sew . your already a big step just by thinking about it . even if you don't go dressed youl atleast know how to sew . so do what makes you fill good
brenda lynn

Karen7cd
10-23-2009, 12:00 PM
According to former NFL star, Rosey Greer, sewing and cross stitching is 100% Ok for men to do.

Rosey Greer used to knit. I have been sewing for over 40 years.
Sew, create enjoy!

Karen

mklinden2010
10-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Just go to the class like you would a "How to sail" class or anything else. If you show some genuine interest, they'll work to recruit you... So, look out for that!

Another thing to keep in mind is that the class will probably have older women in it. They have grown kids and probably grand kids - they've been around the block, some of them have seen it all... That will help.

Odds are very good they'll just take you as you are. If you're cool, they'll just take a "wait and see" approach and see what you've got.

Just "stick to your knitting," as they say, and things will probably, very probably, be just fine.

Paige Winslow
10-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Michelia,

What an inspiration you are!

My advice: Since you said you don't try to pass at all, and it's going to be on everybody's mind, you have to address the situation immeadiately. People respond positively to the truth and move on. Tell them exactly what you're telling us. What more can you do?

They'll have more questions later, but for the moment, they can concentrate on the sewing class.

People know the truth when they hear it. For example: There's a news story about two Northwest Airline pilots who overflew their destination by 150 miles and were out of radio contact for more than an hour. Their intial explanation was they were having an argument. That clearly doesn't sound like the truth. Who argues for that long? Why didn't the flight attendants call the captain? People will continue to press them until they hear the truth.

Keep us informed. You are not alone.

Paige

Alice Torn
10-23-2009, 12:52 PM
If the panic is just too much, it may be best, to just go dressed as guy.

angpai30
10-23-2009, 12:59 PM
successful people make their success outside of their comfort zone. Nobody has ever gotten anywhere being comfortable and have always been criticized for it. But in return they always had the last word and are they who are remembered; those who take no initiative and live within their comfort zone are those who are usually forgotten.

Hannah~~

Michelia
10-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Lots of good advice, encouragement, and excuses if all else fails.

I did fail to mention going in drab mode is not an option. I have been there to have alterations made and lately, to have my sewing machine checked, always enfemme. I would probably now feel more out of place with my male presentation than enfemme.

I am not worried about the staff but about the rest of the class.

And I do want to learn how to sew. Because of my big shoulders, I wear a 2x but then my clothes are too loose around the middle. Besides I have been losing weight and need to take up some of my skirts, etc.

You girls are a big help. Always come through when needed the most! Thanks!

I guess soon I will have to start getting ready. Class is from 6 to 9. Whew! That is another thing. It is going to be so loooong... and on so little sleep!

I will report back on how it goes.

trannie T
10-23-2009, 05:31 PM
You have the potential to be an honor student. It should be a fun and rewarding experience.

cindiey
10-23-2009, 05:42 PM
go girl im so happy for you cause i would love to take then to and i am going to as i want to do it for awhile cindiey :)

Terri Andrews
10-23-2009, 05:48 PM
I admire your courage to step outside your confort zone .
If honest with the other ladies ,I am sure they will welcome you for your talent and courage

sherri52
10-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Michelia: I have found in the past with all women you have no problem. Most of them will get a thrill out of you being there enfemme. The ones that don't get turned by the others. Enjoy

Wen4cd
10-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Oh yeah, just be careful of one thing. The sewing classes at some of these places are sometimes more like 'make you jealous that you don't have the $1200 computerized embroidering sewing machine, but we sure can sell you one' classes.

RADER
10-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Go for it; Do you realize that most of the BIG dress and men's clothing
desiners are MEN. They do all thier own sewing on protatypes. :daydreaming:

Tina B.
10-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Girl go for it, if the owner and staff aren't afraid of you running customers off and they know there market, then it should be great. And look how much you could save, and the cute things you will learn to make. I bought a couple of simplicity pattern and made myself a couple of skirts, it was great fun and a séance of pride in wearing them. Since they have already seen you dressed what could go wrong?
Tina

cd_jamie
10-23-2009, 08:10 PM
think you dont pass well i couldnt pass if i tried. enjoy the class i sew and wish i had the $1200 embroidery machine! i recently got a new machine from walmart a $99 brother. my kids,both boys, broke 4 needles and my wife wont touch it

Rogina B
10-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Look your best,be confident and enjoy yourself! I wish that I had taken a sewing class enfemme in Chicago,as it was up the street.My wife reminded me of that the other day when we were at the fabric store...I would have sewn my costume for this year...Go to it Girl!!!

BLUE ORCHID
10-23-2009, 09:40 PM
I thought sewing was gender neutral when I was a little kid
I saw my father sewing work clothes repair and patching
tears and burn holes from working in the steel mill.
I learned how to sew when I was in my early teens.
I taught my two daughters how to sew.
.................................................. ..thanks............ORCHID

sissystephanie
10-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Rosey Greer used to knit. I have been sewing for over 40 years.
Sew, create enjoy! Karen

Rosey both knit and crossstitched!!My wife and I saw him at a CrossStitch show once. He used to win prizes! BTW, many of the top CrossStitchers are men! And so are many of the finest clothing designers!

I wish I had the opportunity to take sewing lessons! I would do it in a heartbeat!

Diane Smith
10-23-2009, 10:28 PM
It's useful to learn how to sew, but even more important is getting out and about with a group of women. I've long considered taking dance classes, sewing classes, joining a book club, kearning to play bridge, whatever, just to get the chance to hone my appearance, deportment and conversational skills among other more, uh, "experienced" women. You might make some real female friends out of it or, if that's what you're looking for, even find a mate. You certainly won't make those contacts sitting at home.

- Diane

TxKimberly
10-23-2009, 10:32 PM
I have to admit that I'm not sure what the problem is here? A good deal of men enjoy sewing - why should you be nervous about it?

Michelia
10-23-2009, 10:39 PM
I just wrote a full report and by accident hit the escape key and wipedt all out. I have to get up in a couple of hours so I will write back tomorrow with the details. It went well!

Vash
10-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Oh come on sewing? Lucky you! I totally want to take a sewing class. Good for you and if you feel the need to explain,(you know beyond "screw you it's none of your damn business") you could just say you're tired of paying for tailoring.

Tina2
10-24-2009, 01:14 AM
After I came out to my wife, I decided that I was going to make women's fashion a hobby. I'd like to try my hand at fashion design. She signed me (and her) up for sewing classes. I'm looking forward to it.

She bought me a set of patterns for nightgowns and panties earlier this evening.

Tina2
10-24-2009, 01:15 AM
I don't think you need to "explain" anything. Just say you want to learn how to sew. If they say anything more, ask them why they wear pants.

Dana
10-24-2009, 02:27 AM

Ditto!

Dana
10-24-2009, 02:31 AM
My Grandmpther's crossstiching was her hobby!

Go for it!

Do it!!

Quit being afraid of being who you and what you are!