PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood floors?

Vi
10-26-2009, 12:56 PM
How many of you girls have the problem of scratching up the hardwood floors with your heels? you should see my room:eek: only person that has seemed to notice though is my gf and she doesnt care.

Jenny Beth
10-26-2009, 01:13 PM
That's my one and only restriction....no high heels on the hardwood floors. :heehee: Just keep most of your weight on the front of your foot and the heels won't dent the floor.

RADER
10-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Take a tip from an old Hard-wood floor layer; Go to the shoe-maker and get
a hard rubber tip for your spike heals. This will lessen the markes on the floor.
Be carefull, as they will ware off much faster than the mettle ones on the
shoes now. But if you only use them in the house, they will work and last
a long time. :)

Lorileah
10-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Metal heels? I been shopping in the wrong shoe sore, all mine are plastic.

Maybe thats where my MIL gets the idea I am "gonna peck" the vinyl flooring in the kitchen. Hasn't been a problem but she somehow has got the seam to pop up and she keeps tripping over that. Maybe she wears steel toes? :heehee:

Wouldn't steel heels be cool on sidewalks? Sparks would fly:D

Vi
10-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Yeah all mine are plastic, i cant imagine what the metal spike heels would do to a floor!
Sparking heels would be awesome. except you might cause a few wrecks and the like from all the attention::heehee:

Paulette
10-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Remember that a 100 pound woman ( will take a wild guess and assume most of the girls on this forum are a little bit over the 100 pound threshold) on spike heels puts over several hundreds of pounds on the tip of the spike as it contacts the floor no wonder the hard wood dents.

Lorileah
10-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Remember that a 100 pound woman ( will take a wild guess and assume most of the girls on this forum are a little bit over the 100 pound threshold) on spike heels puts over several hundreds of pounds on the tip of the spike as it contacts the floor no wonder the hard wood dents.

That would assume that the woman is walking totally on the heels and not placing weight on the ball of the foot. In hard woods it would also assume that she was stomping down. Pine would dent easily, Oak should not.

The sad thing on this I know that CD's and especially DQ's put extra force on the heel, enough to snap it off. Maybe we need to learn to glide?

Dragster
10-26-2009, 08:01 PM
If I've got this right...
Metal heel tips den hardwood floors, rubber/plastic do not.
But metal heels sound gorgeous on stone or concrete floors and footpaths, rubber/plastic do not.
Hm. That's a very difficult decision!!!

Does anyone know of a small rubber tip I could slip onto a spike heel while I'm in the house, but remove when I go out?

Tony

Vi
10-26-2009, 08:23 PM
If im not mistakin i think like Rader said you can get some put on, and i think you can get them online to DIY but im not positive.
Paulette your right, i remember being in highschool and reading that in my math book it was some kind of word problem. But i remember thinking wow surprise you never hear of women kicking Robbers and stuff:eek::devil:

Hope
10-26-2009, 08:42 PM
How many of you girls have the problem of scratching up the hardwood floors with your heels? you should see my room:eek: only person that has seemed to notice though is my gf and she doesnt care.

My downstairs is all hardwood - I have never had this problem. Are you sure you are not tracking in rocks or something else on the bottoms of your drab shoes? I have seen that gack up a floor pretty nicely.

kimmy p
10-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Metal heels? I been shopping in the wrong shoe sore, all mine are plastic.

Maybe thats where my MIL gets the idea I am "gonna peck" the vinyl flooring in the kitchen. Hasn't been a problem but she somehow has got the seam to pop up and she keeps tripping over that. Maybe she wears steel toes? :heehee:

Wouldn't steel heels be cool on sidewalks? Sparks would fly:D

I had a GG friend that literally poked holes in another friends vinyl flooring with her stilettos. At their house warming party. :strugglin:spank:

Vi
10-26-2009, 10:02 PM
No its my heels for sure you can see the shape of the heel perfect. i was just wonderin if other girls have done that

dilane
10-26-2009, 10:09 PM
I haven't noticed any damage to my oak floors. But the wood is about 100 years old and it gets harder with age.

Maybe it's time to refinish the floors with some new polyurethane (which is very tough).

Linoleum (the actual expensive stuff) seems to be impervious to heels, too.

But Vinyl floors will get pecked up.

suchacutie
10-26-2009, 10:58 PM
The only problem I have is that one pair of heels leaves black marks on the floor. They can be washed, but what a pain :(.

All the rest of my heels seem to be compatible with the floor but I don't have any metal spikes...yikes!

tina

martha mars
10-26-2009, 11:11 PM
some thing that wrong with them foors that all i have in my house and it dont show must be the finesh on them

Karren H
10-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Easy solution.... Home Depot rents a floor sander and buy the good polyeurathan this time!! hahaha

Vi
10-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Im not much for wood work more used to metal,tractors and farming but if it gets to bad i will try it.
BTW i like your new avatar Karren

erickka
10-27-2009, 06:20 AM
Only broader heels and wedges on my hardwoods. I save the sexy stilettos for out of the house wear only. My wife ruined the vinyl in our house in Fl., and now adheres to the same rules as I do:)

carolinebrookes
10-27-2009, 07:13 AM
I bought a "runner" rug that stretches out nicely on my hardwood floor in the hallway. My bathroom floor was badly pock marked with the effect of my heels (it's where I put my makeup on!). I have now laid ceramic floor tiles there with underfloor heating. Bliss!

The rest of the rooms are carpeted. I still have to vacum them afterwards though as my heels leave little dent marks which come out easily with a rub of the vacum cleaner.

allisonrn06
10-27-2009, 07:18 AM
We have laminate flooring in our home, don't know if this is more resistant to scratches or not, have heard that it wears better than real hardwood. I only have one pair of shoes with a thin heel anyway, so I don't worry much about it.

Charlena
10-27-2009, 07:20 AM
Back in the eighties I built a new kitchen and large dinining room on to our house, rushed to get the hardwwod floor in the dining area ready for the family Christmas dinner. My wife's sisters all six of them (tall women too). Came out in their holiday finery and heels... next day cleaning up looked like an old warehouse floor. In construction terms they call that the distressed look. Which is the look I had on my face I suppose.

Blaire
10-27-2009, 09:05 AM

I think the comparison is that a woman in spikes puts more stress on a floor than an elephant does. weight over area and all.

Dunno about the shoes. I've seen this, but never quite could repeat it myself. Get a floor sealer or harder hardwood.

Candy Heels
10-27-2009, 09:49 AM
I wear stiletto heels all the time at home. My tile flooring is fine but the linoleum (sp?) in my bathrooms and kitchen certainly show the marks. But I refuse to wear low heels!

Vi
10-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Same here Candy, I love my sexy heels!:love:

sherri52
10-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Put down a heavy coating of polyurethene. I love the sound of walking across the hard wood floors. You can't get that going across a rug.

docrobbysherry
10-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Rite after I started dressing, I noticed I was quickly destroying the rubber/plastic tips on mine! :sad:

Under the rubber tip, r screws that hold the heel on! Even if your tips r still on, if they're cracked or damaged, the screw can poke thru and put holes in vinyl, or scratch wood floors!:eek:

Fortunately, all my wood floors have rugs on them!:D

Elsa Larson
10-27-2009, 10:11 AM
I once went shopping en femme at an upscale mall. In one section, the pressure from my heels deformed the floor tiles enough to make then snap loose.

kellycan27
10-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Oak hardwood floors throughout, no noticeable dents or scratches and I have been clomping around on them in heels for 3 years??

leesametz
10-27-2009, 05:01 PM
and the heels won't dent the floor.

ive got 3/4" red oak flooring in all of the common areas of the house and in the corner where most of my pictures are taken, there are lots of little heel shaped dents. my heels are plastic tipped...

i asked my wife where all of the dents came from but she didnt know or notice them in the first place...

Vi
10-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Yes the little pock mark heel shapes. Best bet im getting from all this is to just not where spike heels on the hardwood. Which i most certainly will continue :D

joandher
10-27-2009, 05:17 PM
At a house that we lived in ,had a real pine floor after spending about a week sanding and polishing it looked brilliant ,we then had a birthday party for about 30 people a great night was had by all WELL the following day it looked awfull full of indentations i could have cried ,all my hard work gone to pot.
i asked a flooring expert to have a look and he said that a 120 lb girl in spiked heels creates a pressure of approx 2.5 tons per square inch while walking more if they dance ?

:hugs: J-JAY

gwenrob43
10-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi All,

At least the super hard finish of manufactured laminated flooring that looks like hardwood, doesn't indent. I just finsihed installing nearly 800 sq.ft. of it in our home. It doesn't mark with high heels! I checked that pretty quickly, because my spouse can't wear heels.
Hugs,
Gwen

RADER
10-27-2009, 09:41 PM
I had a GG friend that literally poked holes in another friends vinyl flooring with her stilettos. At their house warming party. :strugglin:spank:

Years ago, Houses had a special plywood underlayment where vinyl floors
where layed. "It was called pluged and touch sanded" That is the plywood had no voids in it that i spike heal shoe could poke through and make a hole.
Today that extra cost in house construction has gone away because the
high heal shoe has lost its fashion, resulting in platform type shoes with
larger heal area than the spikes. Yes I remember metel spikes on shoes,
My moyher had them, And dad,(also a carpender) would curse thoes
darn shoes. I can LOL now, I was to young at the time to understand.
Rader :)

rachel_rachel
10-28-2009, 05:11 AM
When i still lived at home with my parents there was a strict no shoes policy in the house, that meant everybody. That house had a huge family room with a highly polished random hardwood floor. (looked great too)

When dad went to sell the house he did notice some marks on the floor that looked like heel marks. If he had have found out the truth i don't think i'd be writing this....

The next house we moved into was much better, it was fully tiled.

Katrina
10-28-2009, 05:31 AM
I haven't noticed any heel marks on any of my wood floors. I have noticed that my dog leaves scuff marks when she tears around the house though.